8 Posts

Grimslingers» Forums » General

Subject: What's solo like? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nik G
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I saw this in the shop and it looked cool. Just wondering what the solo element is like? I like games like Elder Sign and Pathfinder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oda
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
But if it were me, I'd really wanna be, a giant woman.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have not played it myself, but here are some links to play reports from the 1-Player Guild:

http://sgoyt.onesuponagame.com/detail/game/173018/grimslinge...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
NikToo wrote:
I saw this in the shop and it looked cool. Just wondering what the solo element is like? I like games like Elder Sign and Pathfinder.

Disclaimer: I made the game.

Solo is harder than with other players, I'll mention that upfront. The game does allow you to change the difficulty settings so keep that in mind if you get stomped.

Basically you'll pick a character, a class (archetype, comes with a special ability) and a set of 6 elemental spells. You start at level 1, and every 2 levels you get a perk (draw a signature spell, increase your max hp/ep, or increase your hand size).

The game comes with a story booklet you'll follow along with and the story in linear. You generally get to choose how you want to accomplish a particular objective.

For instance, if you need to collect a ritual item, you can hunt down the monster that drops it, or you can try and find it at the Goblin's Grotto, or sell some items for it at a merchant.

There are 4 chapters, each is about an hour long. The story is linear, so there's no point in replaying for different story elements. Replayability comes from having failed a chapter and having to re-do it, or wanting to play again using different spells/archetypes, or with new friends who haven't played, or trying it on a harder difficulty.

The story itself is equal parts silly and serious.

Are there any other specific gameplay features you might want me to elaborate on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik G
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks Stephen. I watched some videos on YouTube, including the Team Covenant with you in it. It seems like a lot of fun. I saw it in a shop today but didn't pick it up, but I will try to go back on Monday to get it, otherwise I'll order it online.

I guess you can't say much about future plans, but is there more in the pipeline? I was very disappointed when Warhammer The Adventure Card Game became basically abandoned. It seems like a cool concept and one you're passionate about so hopefully you have plans for it. Do you have plans for a non-linear campaign with random locations?

It looks seriously cool, and as I said, you obviously have a passion for it, which is something I really like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik G
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Oh, and a game mat would be awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
NikToo wrote:
Oh, and a game mat would be awesome!

I definitely have plans for it. You barely scratch the surface of the story in the game.

Right now I'm trying to get some solid ideas from GBG on what i can do and when, as I don't own the rights for it anymore.

Regardless, I'd like to release a small xpansion within 6 months that focuses on the cat and dog characters (everyone's favorites).

Oh and yes, better playmats are highly requested! That's GBGs call though. :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
And thank you for the compliments .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaud Dejardin
France
Ferrère-La-Grande
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game can be really brutal solo, because there's a lot of events you can't mitigate or avoid. Sometimes, you just get stomped fast.

I'll try to double hand it someday. It doesn't seem too complex to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.