Subject: The bed thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
I used to be addicted to the hokey pokey, but then I turned myself around.
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I am on the hunt for a new bed. Again. I'm thinking about a memory foam bed or a latex bed this time but was wondering if you guys have any input on the longevity and durability of various brands of mattresses?

When you look at mattress reviews online, most of the reviews are from people who have had the bed for between a few days to a few months, but what about people who have had it for a few years? That's the kind if info I want to know but no reviews are found for that so I come to Chit Chat for your input!

My last two beds were a Sealy pillowtop that was wonderful for about two years and then it started to cause me pain on pressure points and limbs falling asleep and this crazy leg coldness/extreme sensitivity during the day that went away when I got a new mattress. The next mattress was an Omaha bed, old fashioned mattress that I could flip and rotate, thinking that being able to flip it would cause it to last longer. That mattress lasted me for about 6 years before starting to lose support. I guess that's better than the last one, but it still seems kind of crappy compared to mattresses we had when we were kids that lasted for a decade.

Thoughts? Ideas? Funny pictures?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I pretty must just went into a mattress store, pointed at something inexpensive, and said "that one."

Our first mattress lasted over 10 years. We ditched it when we moved because a king size worn-out mattress seems not worth shipping across the country. Our current one is 3 years old.

Maybe we just aren't picky?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other then I am always amazed that you see mattresses in second hand shops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Keep your lovin' brother happy!
mbmbmbmbmb
May I recommend a bed, where you can electrically adjust the back and head position for a most comfortable reading position and experience. At least I didn't regret my purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever you need.
I'm always eager to please.

Not so good if you don't sleep on your side, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been very happy with our Sleep Number had. We've had it...5 years at least?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
OSAKA Kobe KYOTO Nara BULLET to TOKYO
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
Whatever you need.

I don't think that is a commercial product. It looks more like a joke piece, or an 'artwork'. What if you slept on your right hand side?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take about 3 shots of whiskey - you can now sleep on the floor with no problem.

Think of the money you'll save
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
MABBY wrote:
Whatever you need.

I don't think that is a commercial product. It looks more like a joke piece, or an 'artwork'. What if you slept on your right hand side?

Ah damn, it's not real??? I was trying to find it on Amazon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
Here's what you need:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
For the first time in 108 years, the Cubs are world champions! Incredible game 7 victory over a valiant Cleveland team.
mbmbmbmbmb
We bought a Temperpedic about 15 years ago and we will be a customer for life (or at least until our diet plan consists primarily of cat food). Wonderful support for both my wife and myself (and we have different tastes when it comes to beds) and durable as well. The first bed lasted 10 years or so and we're now on the second one, with absolutely no complaints. We probably could have stretched the first bed's lifetime a little more, but 10 years is its listed life and it was starting to get a bit soft, so we bought a new one.

Not sure how helpful this is, since these mattresses are so expensive and they may be beyond your budget. There are probably other brands which give 80% of the comfort for 50% of the price. But both of us suffer with aches and pains when the mattress isn't really good, so it's been a good investment for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
As I am on wife #2, I am also on Sleep Number #2. I love them. She has her side, I have mine. It's almost perfect. If I had to do it again I would splurge and get the one that elevates your head and/or feet. Those are awesome but very expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a latex mattress with an adjustable and vibrating/massaging frame in 2008 and I absolutely love it. It has a 20-year warranty and is very comfortable. I got married and my wife dumped her old pillowtop box spring for it.

I can get you the manufacturer and model when I get home if you're interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
OSAKA Kobe KYOTO Nara BULLET to TOKYO
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleep on a 30° slope. I sleep on one side of my bed and my mattress caved in quite badly. So I flipped it over hoping to get the flat side. Nope, I spend all night trying to stop rolling downhill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:
I bought a latex mattress with an adjustable and vibrating/massaging frame in 2008 and I absolutely love it. It has a 20-year warranty and is very comfortable. I got married and my wife dumped her old pillowtop box spring for it.

I can get you the manufacturer and model when I get home if you're interested.

Yes please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
anemaat wrote:
May I recommend a bed, where you can electrically adjust the back and head position for a most comfortable reading position and experience. At least I didn't regret my purchase.
*Spring* for the one that had 'heat/massage' for G-R-E-A-T-E-R "sexy times too"! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
My advice is don't buy a memory foam mattress unless you have tried sleeping on it yourself. They are not for everyone. I have tried them and hate them. If you find you don't get enough support, I would recommend a firm mattress. No pillow-tops or other gimmicky crap. I have a firm mattress and an extra firm pillow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I spent $3000 on one that was amazing for a year and is now a saggy piece of shit and I'm angry. Don't get memory foam (mine's not, but they do suck hard). You want a pretty firm/hard mattress because they will inevitably soften up/sag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:
I spent $3000 on one that was amazing for a year and is now a saggy piece of shit and I'm angry. Don't get memory foam (mine's not, but they do suck hard). You want a pretty firm/hard mattress because they will inevitably soften up/sag.

What kind was your $3000 saggy piece of shit? I need to know what to avoid! One year is ridiculous. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sunkencheerio wrote:
79strat wrote:

What kind was your $3000 saggy piece of shit? I need to know what to avoid! One year is ridiculous. shake

It has a warranty so I think I need to go call someone about that... my back's been hurting so bad these last few weeks

it's a Simmons Beautyrest I believe. That included the frame too so I think mattress was like $1800. LOL I'm looking online and Sears has exact same thing for $950 so I even got hugely ripped off... so maybe try and price-shop while you're out?

From what I understand they just sell generic mattresses to random companies and they all make up their own names for them. You never know what you're gonna get.

MOST IMPORTANT THING:

Make sure they have a good return policy. 30 days minimum. No questions asked/no fees returns. If they don't DO NOT BUY IT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shogren
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:

That's easy, it rotates at the center mounts and "flips" for right hand sleepers (The mattress is double sided on purpose). See the Right Handed configuration below...

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm quite happy with our memory foam mattress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.