Robert B
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Overview:
Mech Capture is a solo Print and Play (PnP) game. The deck of 36 cards and the rules are the only materials needed for play; you do not need dice nor tokens. In the game, players manage their mechs to surround and capture or destroy enemy units.

Basic Gameplay:
The game has two decks: your friendly units, consisting of Light Mechs, Standard Mechs and Drones. Each card containing one or more symbols: weapons, armor, movement. And an enemy deck of Standard, Heavy and Air Mechs, Transports and Long Range Guns, each of which also has a set of symbols. When drawn, enemy cards are placed in certain sectors. The player may also draw from their deck and deploy their units (and from their reserve) to surround the enemy units. If you match the type and number of symbols, you capture the enemy unit and gain victory points. If you exceed the symbols, you destroy the enemy unit and neither side scores the victory points. When your last friendly card is drawn and actions completed, the game ends and victory points are counted. A game lasts 5-10 minutes.

A campaign variant is also included. In three consecutive games you must capture 10 points and destroy 10 points of mechs and destroy all three transports.

Components:
The graphic design is basic, but completely effective. Information is clearly and easily discernible on the cards. I had to read the rules a few times to pick up on some of the concepts, but there is a video which answered all of my questions.

(photo by Scott Allen)

Opinion:
I am a “basic” PnP’er - I like quick and easy builds and a game with too many components is usually off my radar. With only a set of cards, this game is within anyone’s skill level to craft.

I am also predominately a solo gamer, who likes fairly short, puzzle-y or hand management style games.

If you have similar tastes, this is the game for you. It plays quickly and efficiently. Once you have the rules down, you can shuffle the cards and “go”. There are three difficulty levels (which adjust the size of your reserve) and if the game is too quick for your likes, the campaign variant adds more variety where you must use a different strategy. With just a deck of cards, Mech Capture is also a perfect “hotel game”, very portable with a small footprint.

thumbsup Easy to craft
thumbsup Multiple modes of play (3 difficulty, campaign)
thumbsup Highly portable

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the nice review. I agree , it's a nice quick, puzzly, compact game.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.