Subject: Similar to Imperial Settlers? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan S.
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I.S. has been played to death in my house, and I'm now looking for something similar, (but not too similar ) Looking for these similarities in particular, which we like in I.S -
* Engine builder
* Medium weight, not Mathsy!!!
* Lots of different cards/tiles/whatever components
* Some player interaction
* Scales well from 2-4 (at least. Up to 6 is ideal)
* About 2.5 hours max playtime (once familiar with the game)
* Interesting theme/artwork a big plus.
* Around $40 max
I'm thinking maybe Suburbia?

Thanks!

[Edit : added price. Nations at $65 or Terraforming Mars ($90!) are a bit over my budget]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Ghost
badge
Can't You See That You're Lost Without Me?
mbmbmbmbmb
51st State: Master Set is supposed to be very similar.

I always felt like Dice City was like the dice game version of IS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terraforming Mars might be worth a look for you.

It certainly has a large pile of different cards that make each game feel a little different depending on what comes out.

Scales well from 1 to 4 players, though 5 is probably not ideal.

I wouldn't call it mathy, though it does require a little bit of arithmetic (nothing like Power Grid, though!).

It has low-to-moderate player interaction - there's competition for spaces on the board, and you're all working together to terraform the planet (if you place that ocean tile, it might allow me to play my hydroelectric power project . . .)

Playtime should be around 2 hours, maybe less with experience.

And it's nothing if not an engine-builder!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Suburbia sounds like it meets your criteria in theory, but it feels quite different from IS to me. Maybe it's because the scoreboard is so punishing - the higher you climb, the more you get knocked back down! The late turns don't feel like you can accomplish that much more than the early turns. So it doesn't feel like a really strong snowball game.

For a much faster-playing game, try Race for the Galaxy! It checks most of your boxes, has (I think) a little more interaction than IS, lovely artwork, and moderate engine-building to it. There's also Roll, but I'm not as big a fan of that title as I am of Race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
Deus seems like it would be a good fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We find that Nations gives us a similar civ building feel and satisfaction and it is different enough to warrant sharing the same shelf as Imperial Settlers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried the PNP version of The Pioneers Program

* Engine builder [tick]
* Medium weight, not Mathsy!!! [tick]
* Lots of different cards/tiles/whatever components [tick]
* Some player interaction [Lots of]
* Scales well from 2-4 (at least. Up to 6 is ideal) [3 - 6P]
* About 2.5 hours max playtime (once familiar with the game) [45 - 90 min]
* Interesting theme/artwork a big plus. [big tick]

The game is still on KS with one day left (90% funded).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan S.
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GitFeatures wrote:
We find that Nations gives us a similar civ building feel and satisfaction and it is different enough to warrant sharing the same shelf as Imperial Settlers.

Of course! How could I have forgotten the SU&SD double-review of IS and Nations. Only problem is the price. Looks like $65 now. Is that normal, or asmodee monopoly pricing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan S.
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
spartax wrote:
Suburbia sounds like it meets your criteria in theory, but it feels quite different from IS to me. Maybe it's because the scoreboard is so punishing - the higher you climb, the more you get knocked back down! The late turns don't feel like you can accomplish that much more than the early turns. So it doesn't feel like a really strong snowball game.

Thanks for that insight. I still have Suburbia high on my list, but if this is the case, yeah, it would not fit the bill as an IS replacement. Not having a snowballing feeling definitely puts it in a separate niche.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Games613 wrote:
I.S. has been played to death in my house, and I'm now looking for something similar, (but not too similar ) Looking for these similarities in particular, which we like in I.S -
* Engine builder
* Medium weight, not Mathsy!!!
* Lots of different cards/tiles/whatever components
* Some player interaction
* Scales well from 2-4 (at least. Up to 6 is ideal)
* About 2.5 hours max playtime (once familiar with the game)
* Interesting theme/artwork a big plus.
* Around $40 max
I'm thinking maybe Suburbia?

Thanks!

[Edit : added price. Nations at $65 or Terraforming Mars ($90!) are a bit over my budget]

Suburbia is a great game and it definitely ticks off all your boxes. It replaced Castles of Mad King Ludwig for me and is a regular in my rotation.

I recommend trying out 7 Wonders. It hits every one of your criteria except for playtime (each game is about 30 minutes) and is IMO an essential game for any library.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan S.
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:

I recommend trying out 7 Wonders. It hits every one of your criteria except for playtime (each game is about 30 minutes) and is IMO an essential game for any library.

Used to own 7W, not a fan, for various reasons. I don't see it as an engine builder, in any case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nona de Koning
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Macao and Saint Petersburg (second edition) are the ones my group plays most apart from Imperial Settlers. Macao has a ton of variety, but is also more than just an engine builder. St Petersburg is a very pure engine builder, but might not give you enough variety (the extra modules from the 2nd edition help with this). Same could be said for Machi Koro (which really needs one or both expansions), but that one would be good if you need a lighter game.

Glass Road, Burano and Bruges are games my gaming group mentions, they don't truely feel like engine builing to me but I can see why they feel that way to people so I'm including them. Bruges does give me a similar feel to Imperial Settlers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would recommend looking into Peloponnes Card Game.

It's a light/medium weight engine builder with a lot of replay-ability arising from the variable set up. It features a bidding mechanism as players compete for a limited pool of new cards each round and plays well up to 5 players (and 6 with the expansion). It plays in under an hour (when you're up and running). Whether you'll like the theme and artwork I can't say, take a look at the images.

Main thing is that it's cheap. Should be well within budget (even with the expansion).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Themistoklis Dakanalis
Greece
Heraklion
Crete
flag msg tools
Avid Euro Gamer
badge
Novice Board Game Designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfair
Fields of Green

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tan shiyang
Malaysia
flag msg tools
have a look at SEASONS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Fradette
Canada
Sherbrooke
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
Check Valeria: Card Kingdom, might be up your alley.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.