Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Griffiths
United Kingdom
Bexleyheath
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm tempted to get the deluxe edition of this game, but my biggest concern is that maybe it's just TOO big... How big a table to you need to play it realistically?

Also, are the pieces as high quality as they look? With the way they're packaged, my second concern is that maybe the paint will come off the bamboo in places making them look worn?

It's basically £100+ more for the deluxe so it's a big sum... Just want to make sure I make the right decision... Feel my lust might be leading me right now!!

Any thoughts welcome, especially from people who've played both!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had it for over a year now and the bamboo that just rests loosely in the bottom of the box still looks brand new, zero wear. I will say that 80% of the time we play the base game, not the CE. The CE is HUGE! I love the big components but when we play (3 of us, myself, partner and daughter) we use a chair for the wooden box to take bamboo from and we do not use the player boards from the CE, we use them from the original, as I just find them way too big.

I bought it for my daughter for Christmas as she loves the game and was super excited to get the CE. She loves playing it, but most times we just use the original to save on table space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Entrecruzado
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Too expensive and too big.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Casper
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Entrecruzado wrote:
No. Too expensive and too big.
yeah unfortunately this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
Surprised by the opinions here. We always play the large version since we've had it... well except once to try out the expansion with the regular size game. I'm way into "bling", so for me it's the large version all the way.

I do agree the player boards are kinda big. I wish they had redesigned them as square, instead of just enlarging the original ones. (Because they had to fold them to fit in the square crate.)

But the game hexes aren't that much bigger than the original. We usually play on a 4ft circular table and it's fine. I would think any old table would work.

Anyway, we love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Griffiths
United Kingdom
Bexleyheath
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses - surprised to hear that people crack out the base game rather than the CE!
The pieces in the CE just look lovely. It's definitely pricey, but feel like it would really enhance the tactility of the game and therefore make it more fun... perhaps i'm trying to talk myself into buying it tho!

What material are the panda / gardener made out of in the CE? Are they plastic or polystone? Hand painted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Drouin
Canada
Carignan
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the CE edition by far !!
Not too big, for me. I had the same thinling you're having before buying the CE and I don't regret it.
It's the pefect size and it's beautiful

Now, I find the regular edition too small !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, the regular bamboo pieces are super tiny now.

I don't think the panda/gardener are plastic, they feel more like resin or ceramic or something. But I have no real idea.

In case you want to see more images, if you go to Versions and choose Collector's edition, you can view all big version images:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/images/boardgameversion/214171...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.