12 Posts

Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Faction mixing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clayton Kennedy
msg tools
Hey all,

I have the core set and am getting ready for my first game, but I have a deck setup question. Should you keep the human factions & the Old One factions separate? For instance, is it okay to mix together Cthulhu & Miskatonic University? I'm just not sure how thematic it's meant to be, or if you can do whatever you (according to the official rules.)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's more than OK, it's recommended.

Especially when you're learning your feet in this game, the human and mythos factions tend to compensate for each other's weaknesses. So it's smart when playing from the core set to make a deck out of one human and one mythos faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and it is thematic to have cops manipulated by Mi-Go, or academics in league with Deep Ones, or whatever!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is designed to be played with mixed factions however it never sat right with me thematically that you could mix Agency or Miskatonic with monster factions - I know the defenders justify it by saying the monster factions corrupt the human characters but there are specific human characters who have clearly been corrupted within the monster factions or cards which can do the corrupting of characters so I never really bought that.

I've only ever played the game casually at home so simply don't build mixed decks that don't seem 'right' to me - not the way the game was designed, but I bought it so it's mine to choose how I play it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
CoC has very open deck building. The resource system means that tri-decks are hard to get to work though they do exist, but mono and mixed factions are absolutely possible.

I would say that the freedom in deck construction is one of the major draws, so I would strongly recommend you look at cross faction deck building.. but you can mix any faction with any faction period.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not every deck will mix human/mythos factions but it's good that you have that option and there is nothing un-thematic about it. Cultists are human, are they not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
....there is nothing un-thematic about it. Cultists are human, are they not?

Cultists are indeed human but they exist as cards within the faction already whereas the humans in the other factions are in the other faction. I know it's just me but I always found it gamey and unthematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not everyone has to be "on board" with the mythos. Taking Agency as an example, you could have a single government figure that's secretly a cultist and most of the rest of the deck could just be following orders and not know what their purpose really is. Same thing for Syndicate. Silver Twilight is specifically a faction of cultists. Miskatonic I would say tends to be more about corruption from exposure to secret knowledge, although you can still easily imagine a Professor directing his students and assistants to do things without explaining exactly WHY.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Giant Inconvenience of Planet X
msg tools
Anyone that says the faction mixes are not thematic is just showing that that lack any real imagination as well as understanding of the source material the game is based on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lovecraft (and the Chaosium Call of Cthulhu RPG) never had factions. Lovecraft stories pretty much focused on the protagonist, with a healthy dose of dilapidated New England. Miskatonic University, for example, was used as a resource for books, with an occasional Professor and associates taking initiative, rather than an organized faction. Of all the Lovecraft I've read, I've never heard of The Agency. I found the Chaosium Mythos CCG, which focused on a single investigator, to be a much better reflection of the Lovecraft stories.

Lovecraft also didn't have conspiracies. Cultists operated quite openly -- albeit in such far away, or isolated locations that government or such authorities were nowhere nearby. Local authorities either turned a blind eye, were part of the cultists, or were non-existent. The lack of modern technology helped Mythos cultists from being discovered. The Silver Twilight Lodge is a Chaosium creation, but, even then, the lodge operated pretty openly, and wasn't taken seriously; you had to become a high-ranking member to realize these were cultists rather than an Old Boy's Club. You had cults, but they were more interested in practicing without interference, rather than *controlling* some organization that had a public face. Most cultists were too primitive, or simply insane, to have the intelligence and organizational skills to serve as a conspiracy. Of the monsters, the Mi-Go were closest to trying to pass themselves off as humans, but they mostly did this on an individual basis rather than an organized faction.

Still, with Derleth putting white hats on the Elder Gods and shoving the Cthulhu Mythos into the four Greek elements, factions were the least of our worries with the Mythos...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GasPumpGirl wrote:
Anyone that says the faction mixes are not thematic is just showing that that lack any real imagination as well as understanding of the source material the game is based on.

Anyone who thinks that shows they have a complete lack of understanding of how other people can have different opinions to their own which are just as valid.........and unsubscribed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Lovecraft also didn't have conspiracies.

I'd differ on that assessment. "The Whisperer in Darkness" has a Mi-Go-run conspiracy. There are also conspiracies alluded to in "The Thing on the Doorstep," "Pickman's Model" and several other high-profile HPL tales. The current Lovecraft-homage comic series Providence by Alan Moore communicates the flavor of the way conspiracies manifested in HPL's "Arkham country," while rationalizing them into a larger whole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.