Hide
7 Posts

Bios: Genesis» Forums » Rules

Subject: Gaia vote rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Reyes
msg tools
Below D10 it says "Just before a climate change icon would be enacted that will cause Armageddon to occur or persist, any player can call for a blind Gaia vote to cooperatively negate it." When is a Gaia vote called for? Is it during the Event phase, along the current turn or before the Event card that may cause the Armageddon is drawn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
"Just before a climate change icon would be enacted that will cause Armageddon to occur or persist..." The rule is that if an event is drawn with a climate change icon that would end the world (because of the accumulation of previous climate icons), then a player may call for a Gaia vote. This vote represents the Gaia theory which asserts all the Earth's microorganisms cooperate to keep the Earth habitable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe C.
France
flag msg tools
mb
"all the Earth's microorganisms cooperate to keep the Earth habitable"

hum... microorganism don't have brain... so they can't say "let's go, we're going to make this planet habitable", we have brain and we can't do this... So...

I not agree with this gaia vote, there was snow ball stages in earth, probably more than one, but always regfugia for life in this hard time existed. It's sure because life is still on earth
So the Gaia vote... No i not agree with this mechanism, i think we could close all refugia or other things but Gaia vote...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a way of making the Gaia theory palatable is to consider that the intricate feed-back loops of ecosystems will on average stabilize conditions favorable for life.

Not saying it's correct, just that you don't need to impute a will or brain for it to work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Reyes
msg tools
phileklund wrote:
"Just before a climate change icon would be enacted that will cause Armageddon to occur or persist..." The rule is that if an event is drawn with a climate change icon that would end the world (because of the accumulation of previous climate icons), then a player may call for a Gaia vote. This vote represents the Gaia theory which asserts all the Earth's microorganisms cooperate to keep the Earth habitable.

Yeah, I understood that, but... When the Armageddon occurs, the turn continues until the end and then the game ends, right? So a Gaia vote must be done right after the event card that causes the Armageddon is drawn or it can be done in any moment of that possible last turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Reyes
msg tools
chaps31 wrote:
"all the Earth's microorganisms cooperate to keep the Earth habitable"

hum... microorganism don't have brain... so they can't say "let's go, we're going to make this planet habitable", we have brain and we can't do this... So...

I not agree with this gaia vote, there was snow ball stages in earth, probably more than one, but always regfugia for life in this hard time existed. It's sure because life is still on earth
So the Gaia vote... No i not agree with this mechanism, i think we could close all refugia or other things but Gaia vote...

The Gaia Hypothesis poses that microorganisms on Earth modify their environment and by doing that they allow other organisms to thrive there. So, in other words, microbes work together to keep Earth habitable. Some scientists think it as true, one of them was Lynn Margulis, at her time, but that, of course, doesn't make the hypothesis more true. I'm just exposing it for you.

I really like the Gaia/Medea mechanism in the game. The Medea Hypothesis is the antithesis of Gaia, it poses that microorganisms are not cooperating with each others, but the exact opposite, as you can see in organisms that pollute their environment causing the poisoning of their neighbors or the case of infectious bacteria or lethal parasites.

You see, nature doesn't have a purpose, as you already know, but we as players do. That's why I like the Gaia vote, because if all players in game decide to cooperate, they sacrifice one of they resources but they can postpone the End of the World, but if one selfish player decides to vote for Medea, it all ends, as simple as that.

We have a purpose that nature itself doesn't have, that's why we can choose which mutation we will acquire or in which macroorganism we will evolve later.

I hope I have changed your mind a little bit about Gaia vote, and maybe you would like the mechanism as much as I do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
chaps31 wrote:
"all the Earth's microorganisms cooperate to keep the Earth habitable" No i not agree with this mechanism, i think we could close all refugia or other things but Gaia vote...

The "why" of Gaia is controversial. One speculative idea is that as the Earth went through temperature excursions, microbes that moderated the temperature survived while others did not. Another idea is that extremophile archaea brought Earth out of snowball conditions. Still another idea is the anthropic principle. This says there are lots of Earths in the universe, but only those with microbes able to moderate the temperature actually stayed habitable long enough to develop macroscopic life...and subjective consciousness.

The Medea theory also has various versions. One version (not used in the game) is that the majority of microbes trying to spread their genes find multicellular life to be more trouble than good, and so they spread genes that encourage pollution, and macroscopic die-offs. This enmity would explain why the Earth remained so long dominated by bacteria and archaea. This version is actually compatible with the Gaia theory, in that both could be true.

I personally favor a version of Gaia that states that life maintains conditions favorable for life. Ultimately life solves pollution problems with natural selection and (more recently) with technology. And I believe that microbes have become accustomed to the macro-life they so often parasitize, are co-dependent with, and co-inhabit. If so, Medea is no longer a threat, because as soon as macro-life begins dying off, versions of symbiotic bacteria that help preserve their hosts will flourish. This benevolent behavior may help explain today's extremely high biodiversity of macro-life, the highest in Earth's history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.