7 Posts

Pax Renaissance» Forums » General

Subject: First play impressions and questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ste M
msg tools
Hi.
I played the first time today, it was a breeze. The rules seems hard at first but the gameplay makes sense plus all the actions are clear.

I've still some questions tho:
1) My friend activated the imperial victory, everyone sit at 2 empires, in a turn, my other friend activated west operations, did 2 campaign one in bysantium, the other in the papal states and claim 2 kings and claim victory.
It was very sudden,,, leaves us a little strained.
1a)Papal states is hard to defend since he has just 1 city and is easy to claim
2) concessions are easily removed but hardly placed
2a) Pirates are easily removed but hardly placed and are essential for conspirations!
3) At the end of the game, conspiracy was useless, since the lack of pirates (they all was chosen as casualities in battle), it was hard (impossible) to make conspirations coz all cities were saturated
3a) the only way for conspiration to works needed repressed ruling class, we never had cards that repress ruling

Rules question: how works pacifications?

this are just strategy question to see if we missed some key rules, because the games is very good and valid and I enjoyed a lot playing it.
Just something seems hard to understand
Maybe we needed bishop to silence campaign?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
THats some extremely brief impressions. Please add more when you have hem
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Sinn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
1) Once a victory has been activated, everyone should be at high alert, and watching and stopping the next player from winning.

1a) Yes, the Papal states are weak to campaigns. I'm sure there is a historical basis for this. It does require 2 troops to claim it, and is easily grabbed by another player. Consider this to typically be a "temporary" kingdom that will unlikely be held for a long time.

I'm surprised that Byzantium was taken by a campaign. Were the cities weakened by Sieges or from a previous campaign?

2) Yes, concessions are difficult to place. Remember, whenever you gain a kingdom, you are able to place a concession. Whenever you affect a regime change, you can place a concession (coronations, religious wars, campaigns). It is easy to forget this.

2a) Yes, Pirates are great for all civil wars! They love to take part in shenanigans, and also religious wars! Pirates are very nasty for killing concessions.

3) Conspiracies are difficult to pull off. You'll usually want to weaken a kingdom by sieges or religious war first (both free, whereas campaign costs money), and then use the Conspiracy agents to finish off the job.

3a) The repress op isn't common, and we didn't often get repressed agents on a kingdom.

Pacification) Pretty rare for this to happen, in my 3 games. This would require that a kingdom have repressed tokens on it, and that a bishop moves to that card during a Religious Op.

Bishops to silence a campaign would be useful. The campaign ops are only found on Kingdom cards. Beheading a kingdom or bishop-silencing a kingdom are both good strategies. Depriving the owner of money is also good, since Campaigns costs 1 Florin per Knight (and only Knights can be used in campaigns). Otherwise, try to attack your opponent's kingdom first, or otherwise get that kingdom out of the player's tableau (religious war or seige to weaken the knights, vote-op to steal it into your tableau as a kingdom).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't add much to what Ken has said.
1) Imperial victory is the easiest. In highly competitive games, everyone is calculating to make sure that the imperial victory is activated unless they have an overwhelming imperial lead, enough so that on the subsequent turn they can both both execute a campaign for the lead and take an action to declare victory. If the imperial is activated, every player tries to make sure his opponents do not have the two actions required, one for the campaign to gain the lead and one to declare victory.

1a) Matthew (codesigner) said that, after the peace of Lodi expired and the balance of power maintained by the Medici ended, the city-states of Italy were easily toppled by neighboring empires, including Aragon, France, Holy Roman empire, and Ottomans.

2) I suspect you were not placing a concession when acquiring a King card. In our games, there are typically a lot of concessions, including forcing players to place concessions in non-trade route regions such as the Alps or Taurus mountains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ste M
msg tools
Hi.

Thanks for the reply to everyone! Having a direct reply from Phil gave me goosebumps...

Then, since Phil and Ken were so kind would you mind to answer my last questions:

a) since place levy or tax is a good way to replace missing pawn, are there any way to replace pirates (we just had 3 the whole game, they all died in conspiracy battle (were always choosen as the first casualities) and disappear from game)?

b) Does the rook has any advantages over knights? Or it's just something to prevent you being too aggressive by raising levy who cannot campaign?

c) Should a player choose to focus on east or west or normally have influence on both?

d) A bishop can use pacification rules just when he move, if he remain on a card, he cant use it again?

e) We were actually placing concessions at every regime change and everytime we could, but since we had a lot of repress action on pawn, everyone was repressing concession to get a florin

I will post more impressions the next week, I need more time and more play to understand this game, for now I can just say it's a blast
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Sinn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
a) The renaissance was the age of merchants, not the age of pirates. In my games, pirates were nuisances/wildcards/tactical, not particularly reliable for a strategy.

b) Based on my play, no, Rooks did not confer any advantages over knights.

c) I found that early game favoured players who had concessions in the East, as both trade routes run through those areas. Once players start getting more cards out onto the tableaus, there is a gradual shift of focus to the West (any East campaigns would be too costly)

d) Wherever the bishop is standing, that card/character/concept has been pacified.

e) I found trade routes to be far more lucrative than repressing pawns, and far less risky (due to potential civil revolts). I also found that taxing was a good way to strengthen my kingdoms and cause opponent concessions grief -- but it sounds like there's a good balance of placing and removing pawns in your games.

Glad you're enjoying the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mooken wrote:
b) Based on my play, no, Rooks did not confer any advantages over knights.

Knights can be dragged into religious wars instigated by other players, get killed off, and leave your empires defenseless. Rooks can't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.