Popular Tags: [View All]
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of a random thread, but I enjoy euros for their mechanics and puzzles and stuff but no matter which Euro it is I get bored after 1-2 plays.. I just feel like I kind of "get it" and then every game I'll ever play after that becomes a "beat my own best score" type of deal.. so while I appreciate euros for what they are I just can't call myself a fan of them. Like I can use Scythe for an example.. I played it a bit ago and it looks great, played pretty well, but then like an hour into it I just felt like I'm running an optimization engine in my brain and I decided then and there I probably wouldn't play it again and didn't care if I finished, even though I was technically "enjoying" it. I suppose people who love euros really enjoy this optimization engine aspect? I've never played any of mine more than 2 times and just sell them off, so I've just decided to stop buying them.

In euros I just feel like I play until I "understand" the mechanisms/rules than once that happens I just lose interest somehow... Another example is Nippon is a great game but we played 50% through and my wife and I just kind of decided "ok.. we get it" and packed it up and sold it. I am more or less impartial to the whole "ameritrash v euro" thing but I guess the randomness/theme in ameritrash games just keeps me coming back for more somehow. Like I can get a lot more into the "I have to roll a d5/6 to kill this thing" than "I must convert these 3 vegetables to milk at the post office to turn them in for 2 fruits later on to score bonus points" for some reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you typically play solo or with other people? I can understand the "beat my own best score" thing if it's solo, but with other people there will be player-driven variables each game.

That said, I enjoy a good bit of luck/randomness in my games as well, but I'm also a fan of euros.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Soleia wrote:
Do you typically play solo or with other people? I can understand the "beat my own best score" thing if it's solo, but with other people there will be player-driven variables each game.

That said, I enjoy a good bit of luck/randomness in my games as well, but I'm also a fan of euros.

Mostly solo but euros I always play with my wife. I'm a bit of a [sore loser] and she is insanely good at euro games so most of the time I just get very stressed trying to figure out a way to beat her (which I never even come close to achieving).. this is all despite the fact that even if I do miraculously win I just get the odd "I figured the game out.. done" type of feeling I get. I've learned to appreciate co-ops much more and wish there were some euro type co-op (are there any?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:
Soleia wrote:

Mostly solo but euros I always play with my wife. I'm a bit of a [sore loser] and she is insanely good at euro games so most of the time I just get very stressed trying to figure out a way to beat her (which I never even come close to achieving).. this is all despite the fact that even if I do miraculously win I just get the odd "I figured the game out.. done" type of feeling I get. I've learned to appreciate co-ops much more and wish there were some euro type co-op (are there any?).

So clearly your problem is not euros, it's your wife. You need to get a new wife. I picked one whom I can beat about 60% of the time. I think that's a good number to aim for when you're dating and looking for wife number 2. If that's too extreme, you can go hunting for a floozy on the side whom you can beat on a regular basis. There, since it's going to be a short-lived relationship, I'd shoot for at least an 80% win rate. What's the point of destroying your marriage if you don't get a lot of victories out of it?

You're welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
79strat wrote:
Soleia wrote:

So clearly your problem is not euros, it's your wife. You need to get a new wife. I picked one whom I can beat about 60% of the time. I think that's a good number to aim for when you're dating and looking for wife number 2. If that's too extreme, you can go hunting for a floozy on the side whom you can beat on a regular basis. There, since it's going to be a short-lived relationship, I'd shoot for at least an 80% win rate. What's the point of destroying your marriage if you don't get a lot of victories out of it?

You're welcome.

Yeah but she'll play Mage Knight with me, and even ask for it on occasion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:
skutsch wrote:
79strat wrote:
Soleia wrote:

You're welcome.

Yeah but she'll play Mage Knight with me, and even ask for it on occasion.

Hmmm. Solid point. So maybe I need a new wife? Nah, she plays Food Chain Magnate and the Gallerist. So I guess I need a Mage Knight playing girl on the side. This thread is going to rock my marriage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just don't get which girl is for which game mixed up, they might all show up at the same time and get mad seeing the wrong game on the table... oh and yeah realize you're cheating on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
Skutch gives solid advice. I'm closer to 52-53% as opposed to 60% though.

And, sounds like you know what you don't like, stop buying those types of games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest you play a few 4 player games of Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar and see if you solve it that quickly.

I feel most all Euros shine with plenty of players.

Have you tried The Castles of Burgundy with your wife?

Great game even at 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelley Wolatz
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Have you tried Power Grid? the auction aspect makes it more fun and less of a dry euro

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dostradamas wrote:
I suggest you play a few 4 player games of Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar and see if you solve it that quickly.

It's not about "solving" it. It's about seeing how everything works together when you "assemble the machine and push the buttons."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperGLS wrote:
SkutSch gives solid advice. I'm closer to 52-53% as opposed to 60% though.

And, sounds like you know what you don't like, stop buying those types of games!

Corrected. The second "s" in Skutsch is for sexy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
Maybe you're playing the "wrong" Euros meeple Are the ones you play high interaction? I find that when interaction is low, each game is kind of the same because the rules of the game never change, and it's really the rules you're playing against when it's an optimization-type of game. When interaction is high, each game has the potential to be different because so much of what you do depends on your opponent. The rules provide the framework, but the game is the other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
You rated Fields of Arle a 9, which I see in your system means 4 stars. What was it about that you liked? What would have made it a 10?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
s3kt0r wrote:
You rated Fields of Arle a 9, which I see in your system means 4 stars. What was it about that you liked? What would have made it a 10?

Hands down it was the theme / mechanics working together so well. Like Castles of Burgundy is clever what with the point combos and everything but there is zero theme. I like games because mentally I can try and get into it but with the point salad games it's harder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I grew up as a wargamer. Then I went through my Euro phase. I was intrigued by all the various mechanics (worker placement, role selection, etc.). Like you though, over time Euros lost their luster and the new games just seemed....dry. Sent me packing back to the heavy themed section of the community: wargames and Ameritrash. Well, except for Sierra Madre games.

You might want to take a look at Sierra Madre. Games like High Frontier, Bios Megafauna, Pax Porfiriana blend three ingredients which give them considerable staying power. They fuse heavy doses of theme on a Euro chassis. But the thing that makes them special is they are open ended (sandbox) games. Generally when you are playing SM games, you get so caught up in just exploring the game system that winning becomes secondary. They are incredibly deep and varied. Plus there is a ton of chrome, back story, science etc. which allows you to immerse yourself in the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:
Soleia wrote:

Commissioned might be worth looking at. Just played two games of it tonight with the husband.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if it's a euro, but the new Through the Ages seems like it would fit your need for theme, strategy without one particular solve, and involvement that will let you improve. The other 'euro' that I think you could tolerate is Keyflower. The variability of tiles that will come out for 2 people, and the interaction with bidding and playing on other people's villages, and variability in final scoring tiles, all make each game quite different. And if you do like it there are two expansions that add even more. Have you tried either of these?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyburp wrote:
I'm not sure if it's a euro, but the new Through the Ages seems like it would fit your need for theme, strategy without one particular solve, and involvement that will let you improve. The other 'euro' that I think you could tolerate is Keyflower. The variability of tiles that will come out for 2 people, and the interaction with bidding and playing on other people's villages, and variability in final scoring tiles, all make each game quite different. And if you do like it there are two expansions that add even more. Have you tried either of these?

I have wanted to try that though I hated Nations which I've heard is kind of a streamlined version of TTA? I should give it a try, and I've wanted to try Keyflower for a bit.

Are there any co-op Euros?

That Commissioned game looks interesting though I'm about as far from being a Christian as it gets and don't have much interest in the theme.

I also really enjoy Archipelago; again, the theme really matches the mechanics. I guess I like super thematic Euros?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian B.
Denmark
Frederiksberg C
flag msg tools
I don't design games, I play them!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it sounds to me like you DON'T enjoy euros after all, but just think you do... If you really did, you wouldn't stop halfway through games or only play them once. So my advice to you is: just play the (ameritrash) games you like!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:
s3kt0r wrote:

Hands down it was the theme / mechanics working together so well. Like Castles of Burgundy is clever what with the point combos and everything but there is zero theme. I like games because mentally I can try and get into it but with the point salad games it's harder.

So, you just need super thematic euros... I was going to suggest other Uwe Rosenberg games, since I find his games pretty thematic overall, but I see you did not enjoy Agricola at all.

Another designer that I think is pretty thematic is Vital Lacerda, if you are interested in something heavy. Vlaada Chvátil can be pretty thematic too and I see you love Mage Knight Board Game. Have you tried Dungeon Petz?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you just playing 2 player games with your wife? Maybe it's time to try some 3 way action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Are you just playing 2 player games with your wife? Maybe it's time to try some 3 way action?

I've been telling her that for years...

(I actually dislike anything more than 2 players 99% of the time... I hate waiting for my turn *solo gamer problems*).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:
galad2003 wrote:

(I actually dislike anything more than 2 players 99% of the time... I hate waiting for my turn *solo gamer problems*).

This is your problem. Most euros are made with 4 players in mind. 2 players really drags, because its just head to head, no careful balance between offense and defense.

With this in mind, how about seeking 2p (and solo) recommendations?

Spyrium is currently my favorite 2 p euro. I still think its better with 4 or 5, but SOME people really hate the "chaos" of higjer player counts, opting to play it exclusively 2p.

You keep asking for co-op euros, but isnt the most obvious one pandemic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quantum_Jack wrote:
79strat wrote:
galad2003 wrote:

This is your problem. Most euros are made with 4 players in mind. 2 players really drags, because its just head to head, no careful balance between offense and defense.

With this in mind, how about seeking 2p (and solo) recommendations?

Spyrium is currently my favorite 2 p euro. I still think its better with 4 or 5, but SOME people really hate the "chaos" of higjer player counts, opting to play it exclusively 2p.

You keep asking for co-op euros, but isnt the most obvious one pandemic?

I -hate- Pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.