Support:

Len K
United States
Westford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
You were expecting something witty?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought I'd share my storage solution for this awesome game.

As soon as I finished my first game of LE, I wanted both a better storage solution than the original craft-sized cardboard box, and a better way to deal with all the piles of cards (both table space and accessibility). And once Outer Planets was announced, I knew I wanted it all in one box!

The box was easy - a 3" GMT blank game box would be perfect. After a bit of noodling, and rejecting some other ideas (such as plastic business card racks), I decided foamboard was the way to go for card trays. I designed a rectangular tray for the small cards and a draw/discard-type holder for the outcome cards. The technology card rack took a little longer to figure out. I wanted the storage trays to fit in the box as well, so I came up with a simple slotted rack that nestles into the other card tray when empty.

They're all made from standard 5mm (3/16") black foamboard from Michael's. I use XActo #11 blades for cutting and Scotch Quick Dry craft adhesive. It took me one evening to design, cut, & assemble the small card tray, and another evening for the tech & outcome trays.

Here's a couple pictures of the three trays. Each small card has its own slot except for the sample cards, which are splayed in the back row (which works fine since they're not accessed as often). The second picture shows how the two larger racks nestle together for storage.

Here they are in use (initial setup for 2-player hard OP game). The racks save a lot of table space and the small card rack is easy for each player to pick up and peruse. Makes a beautiful game even better.

Everything fits neatly into the GMT 3" box. Most of the small cards are stored within the outcome tray. I pasted up some box artwork by scanning the original boxes and using files here on BGG.

Now sitting proudly next to Space Empires, instead of living on my 'odd box' shelf.

And the best part is it makes it much easier to get LE/OP to the table!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
HEALED!!!
badge
When I'm not looking, my games play each other!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's really cool. How does one get a GMT 3" box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is so beautiful I want to make a custom box on my own. But I think I'll wait for future expansions. I don't want to redesign everything for each upcoming expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O.Shane Balloun
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
I will play as the Atreides, Bene Gesserit, Emperor, Fremen, Guild, or Harkonnen.
badge
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Phenomenal solution. I'm more and more convinced that decreasing setup time through thoughtful inserts substantially improves the quality of our hobby. By materially reducing setup time, we reduce the barrier to reentry (no pun intended) in any given game. Yes, there is the one-off cost of money and/or time to produce a worthwhile insert, but at least that can represent a one-time creative process which has its own sense of fulfillment (creation, production/handcrafting, etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len K
United States
Westford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malaiser wrote:

GMT sells both 2" and 3" boxes, although for some reason they're not listed on the 'Parts & Accessories' page. Just click 'Contact Us' and say you'd like to buy some blank boxes. Last price I remember was I think $6 for 2" and $8 for 3". I buy 5-6 boxes at a time, I always have Print & Play projects going on and it spreads out the shipping cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len K
United States
Westford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grammatoncleric wrote:
Phenomenal solution. I'm more and more convinced that decreasing setup time through thoughtful inserts substantially improves the quality of our hobby. By materially reducing setup time, we reduce the barrier to reentry (no pun intended) in any given game. Yes, there is the one-off cost of money and/or time to produce a worthwhile insert, but at least that can represent a one-time creative process which has its own sense of fulfillment (creation, production/handcrafting, etc.).

thumbsup
Thanks. I'm one of those gamers that probably spends as much time pimping out games as actually playing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
Santa Cruz Mts.
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Incidentally, if anyone finds boxes like this at a good price in bulk, please let me know. We'd really like to be able to provide Leaving Earth a better box and a good insert for keeping everything sorted like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
HEALED!!!
badge
When I'm not looking, my games play each other!
mbmbmbmbmb
k1nu wrote:
Malaiser wrote:

GMT sells both 2" and 3" boxes, although for some reason they're not listed on the 'Parts & Accessories' page. Just click 'Contact Us' and say you'd like to buy some blank boxes. Last price I remember was I think $6 for 2" and $8 for 3". I buy 5-6 boxes at a time, I always have Print & Play projects going on and it spreads out the shipping cost.

Thanks. I'm going to order one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Argento
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
A great idea!! Thanks for sharing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.