Popular Tags: [View All]
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure there are many ideas on searching out there. My idea for a house rule for searches is below. I was wondering if any veteran players have tried this (or similar) and what their thoughts are.

1. Each hall and room may only be searched once for each category (traps, secret doors, and treasure). So three searches total per area (not 3 per hero per area).

2. When searching for traps or secret doors room 1 die. When the black shield is rolled, you add a wandering monster to the room in addition to the results of the search.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paolo spezzaguzzi
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

First point : that is the standard rule, you must have misinterpreted it.
The book clearly states that each room may only be searched once.

Second point : good and simple modification, that will work fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic R
Spain
Tomares (Seville)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My own variant/home rule is that you must say if you are going to search before rolling for move. If you decide to search, you only roll one die (because you move carefully while searching the area). It is 1. tematic, 2. made for balancing if one player is ahead from the others and taking all the treasure to himself, 3. and quite fun when the heroes are running away from a monster (because they are low on hit points or is a horde or whatever) and must decide if go through the corridor without looking to any traps, just run
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My rulebook says under Action 3: Searching for Treasure: "A room may be searched by all 4 Heroes, but each individual Hero may only search once..."

That's 4 treasure searches per room. My suggestion was for only 1 treasure search per room (per party). Sorry if was unclear, does that change your thoughts?
I'm trying to avoid the spend countless turns reorganizing the party into a kill box formation (incase wandering monster) and searching for treasure four times each room. It slows the game down horribly and breaks the atmosphere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Clarke
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
11 of the treasure cards are good, and 10 are bad, so searching for treasure isn't really reinforcing. As the rule book says "Almost half the Treasure cards contain Wandering Monsters and Hazards!".
In the same way, if you add a balanced bad consequence to searching for traps, there would be no net benefit in searching for traps either.
So making searching pointless would speed up the game, but you lose part of the essence of dungeon crawling.
If time pressure is required, there are many houserules for this, such as a 1:6 chance of a wandering monster in a position of the hero's choice each turn.

There should be circumstances where there is an advantage to searching, since searching for treasure and danger is part of the theme.

I would be OK with combining the search for treasure and secret doors into one search.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1st point... The book clearly states that each room may only be searched once... By each Hero. Vayda is correct.

UK 2 choices... Traps & Secret doors are combined
US 3 choices... Personally i prefer UK, for many reasons.

We did play 1 treasure search only per room for a while but then I realised the deck doesn't get super threatening, there simply isn't enough rooms. It's a major part of the game many overlook. The increased tension in risk, especially when you know the treasure hoard is still in there and you only have a few BP left.

Now we play
Quote:
A room + items of furniture init limits treasure searches

It's an inbetween the 2, giving more importance to furniture if they don't have a quest specific (which would be 1 of the searches if they did).

Quote:

I would be OK with combining the search for treasure and secret doors into one search

Combine traps and secret doors...
"Oh look what's this lever/wire/whole/crack in the wall"... "Oh it's a trap/oh it's a secret door"

Searching for treasure... "Oh there's a boot, gem bag of gold, i'll just go pick it up". The cautious Hero..." Oh there's a boot/gem/bag of gold, before i go pick it up, best I/you search for traps first" Now it takes either 2 heroes or 2 turns, so simply a more cautious, time consuming search, instead of blindly rushing to pick up/check an item.

Quote:
If you decide to search, you only roll one die

You're already giving up your 2nd action (attack) to search so losing the d6 is too much. We do use sacrifice rolled movement d6 mechanic on our games, reequip, give etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
House rules https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzUqoUE_JiOud21ESFhLaG9hS1...
Character Creation https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzUqoUE_JiOuNWVqQVJ4Zzl6RG...
Armoury Alchemist Inn https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzUqoUE_JiOuZnREQnJCR1dob2...

A Quest book using Advanced HeroQuest Tiles. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzUqoUE_JiOudWdtMFkyU1BJT0.... Originally uploaded here but I modified it for our group, interlinking the Quests story line more.

All an ongoing WIP. The character sheet is designed so character cards similar to these http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2450 can be overlayed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Clarke
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mitchiemasha wrote:

UK 2 choices... Traps & Secret doors are combined
US 3 choices... Personally i prefer UK, for many reasons.

I was unaware of this, thank you. Traps & Secret doors are combined makes more sense thematically. Since my players don't search for treasure because of the punishing nature of the treasure cards I liked the idea of combining searching for treasure with something else.
I would be happy to use the UK rules here and optionally remove 2 of the unpleasant treasure cards.

I liked the links, do post more of the spiced edition when you have time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your heroes don't search for treasure??? WHAT??????

How does this work? How do they find gold to buy equipment? How do they complete quests that require rooms to be searched? If they only search that 1 room how would they know which one?

A Hero searches a room, if it doesn't have a Quest specific, they pick a card. The only way to discover the Quest specific is by searching.

I will post more. The spiced edition itself is about 10 pages long, very unfinished, it's basically the same rules but more spaces out with more of an explanation, lots of fluff and examples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will add... we make simply being in the dungeon dangerous. A roll of double 1 is a hazard, roll a combat d6, a skull: -1Bp. WS: Saved. BS: Stunned. This seriously reduces heroes wasting turns. Every roll is a threat and so it should be. That escaping Hero, battered and beaten, on 1bp, has a lot more to worry about.

A hero has to roll every turn, they roll first, then decide what to do. If they roll the double 1, they can still move the 2 squares, then the hazard would happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Clarke
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mitchiemasha wrote:
Your heroes don't search for treasure??? WHAT??????

My bad. We usually play one quest, and have forgotten what happen in the last quest. My dysfunction rather than a rule problem, excuse me.
Actually, one sheet of house rules for the heroes is about right for a simple game. I have AHQ, so I like the Chaos Tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have AHQ... I recommend you play the Quest pack using HQ rules on AHQ tiles. The doorways with arrows, rocks are blocking the other side, not entry points as the original intention of the Map creator. There's 1 Quest with no monsters at all. AND, make sure to remind the Heroes to pay special attention to the Quest notes and the words you use before starting. They are intended to be quick quest, except the last, ideal for 1 games night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Clarke
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did play some Allied Heroquest with random dungeons, I must try an actual Quest.
My random AHQ dungeon dice:

Edit: Updated the dice

Any way, the more good treasure cards you remove from, the more dangerous searching for treasure becomes, so it is self-regulating to some extent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.