Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Hegemony questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Sullivan
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I just played my first game and im kinda hoping we misread the rules for hegemony because it feels REALLY powerful to me.
Initially i thought it was only for discovered colonies but theres a section about taking over other players too in this way. Correct me if im wrong:

Federation ship attempts Hegemony on a Klingon colony.
Klingons have a Control Node and 3 Resource Nodes, 2 Ascendance, and a tech adding +1 to hegemony resistance, meaning i need a 8+ to take it over before my mods are added.
Federation has 3 Ascendance and +1 to Hegemony tech. I now need a 4+ to take over his colony.

Is that right? Or is there some other roll i missed on the defender to prevent it? Cause this felt way too easy lol. Even without the +1 to the result, its vastly easier than invasion and has 0 risk of losing ships in the process or accidentally razing the planet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You've got it right. It is balanced by the culture cost. Federation is very good at hegemony, especially if their Ascendancy is higher...

Note that you must occupy the system, and according to their definition of occupy on page 5, it means that ONLY you can have ships in the system. Also remember that starbases count as structures when determining resistance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guðmundur Skallagrímson
Canada
flag msg tools
csouth154 wrote:
It is balanced by the culture cost.

This.

Paying 2 culture (or 3 or 4 or 5 when I can't help but roll ones, plus a new command each time) hurts. A successful invasion costs no culture, but of course has its own cost in production, ships, etc.

Hegemony of a system that produces culture, though... sounds like a winning move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Horvat
Croatia
California
flag msg tools
It should be that easy.

You should have had ships that defend the system.

If there is no ship in the system and Federation comes bearing gifts(Assimilation...err...Diplomacy fleet) it is plausable that the planet will shift to the federation as they give more promises. Like political parties before election.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Also, you only get to roll 1 dice, no matter how many ships you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Sullivan
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Right, i know its only one attempt. Nothing prevents you from simply burning another command token and culture token to try again though right?

Also i didnt know about the starbase adding to it. Oops. There was a starbase there.

Basically what happened is he had a base with 2 production 1 resource sitting unguarded in the middle of his territory, and because i drew a 4lane warp with a floating planet i was able to reach it when exploring. As a result, i literally backdoored him, swiped a colony, and robbed him of resources lol for a turn since he already went this round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Vineheart01 wrote:
Right, i know its only one attempt. Nothing prevents you from simply burning another command token and culture token to try again though right?

Nothing except a limited supply of both command tokens and culture tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Vineheart01 wrote:
Also i didnt know about the starbase adding to it. Oops. There was a starbase there.

So you needed a 5 or higher. Did you get it? Or should that Starbase have made you fail? And when you consider that starbases add to resistance does it seem properly balanced to you?

You wana talk about REALLY screwing up? The first game I ever played, we only counted warp tokens when rolling hegemony against independent civs... laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Sullivan
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
csouth154 wrote:
Vineheart01 wrote:

So you needed a 5 or higher. Did you get it? Or should that Starbase have made you fail? And when you consider that starbases add to resistance does it seem properly balanced to you?

You wana talk about REALLY screwing up? The first game I ever played, we only counted warp tokens when rolling hegemony against independent civs... laugh

I believe i rolled a 4, so that would have failed. First game woes, though i think i got everything down.
Still thinks its weird combat just continues forever until someone dies or leaves but that one is pretty clear cut lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Holmstrom
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
The Klingon High Council advancement can make many Klingon worlds nearly untouchable for the federation if they maintain ascendency parity The Romulans have a similar advancement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Strategery21 wrote:
The Klingon High Council advancement can make many Klingon worlds nearly untouchable for the federation if they maintain ascendency parity The Romulans have a similar advancement.

That's an exaggeration worthy of a Klingon. The only real way to protect your worlds from hegemony is to prevent your rivals from reaching them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.