Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sumit K
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you upgrade cows and sheep with the upgrade action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, according to the official FAQ (https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/138082/errata-and-faq-1st...):

"Q : Can I exchange animal tiles ?
A : Yes, animals can be exchanged for a more valuable goods with a Trading Action like any other goods. Although animals score
points at the end of the game, it is often more effcient to exchange them for upgraded goods to cover more spaces on your boards"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There's a shape called "The Golden Rectangle". Have you heard of it?
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
It refers to a rectangle that's approximately contstructed in the ratio of 9 to 16. The golden rectangle has several characteristics. Let's say I create a square within this shape. Then, this smaller rectangle that I just created will also be a
badge
golden rectangle. I make another square within that and the leftover is another golden rectangle. And I make a few more, and when I connect all the central points of these shapes it creates a spiral that continues forever. This is the "Golden Spin".
mbmbmbmbmb
Annoyingly, you are allowed to upgrade animals, use animals for the feast, or spend animals (with certain occupation cards) even if they are in the barns on your player board -- contrary to everything else placed on your player board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
golden_cow2 wrote:
Annoyingly, you are allowed to upgrade animals, use animals for the feast, or spend animals (with certain occupation cards) even if they are in the barns on your player board -- contrary to everything else placed on your player board.

Yeah, after reading the rulebook I decided that the barns are nothing more that a glorified portion of the player's reserve of tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
golden_cow2 wrote:

I don't see why that's annoying. Animal tiles are simply tiles in your supply that can be upgraded or used like any other supply tiles, but if they are in the stables, they can be bred. There are other non-permanent things on your player board: Food used for the Feast, boats, and Vikings. The only things that can't be moved after placement are items in "grid" areas, which the stables are not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lieffring
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
golden_cow2 wrote:

You're also allowed to stack animals on top of other animals, contrary to everything else placed on your player board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IncompleteUserNa wrote:
You're also allowed to stack animals on top of other animals, contrary to everything else placed on your player board.

I have seen a few animals breeding. They most definitely did so by stacking on top of each other. More or less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Wojtkielewicz
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
He who comes too late is punished by life.
mbmbmbmbmb
I upgrade all my cows and sheep, it is a very strong move. Especially if you can breed. they fill a lot of space. If you get the income early get both and then upgrade them, but not before you use the products action a couple times with three of each animal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
golden_cow2 wrote:

I'm not sure why this is annoying. I just picked up this game and read the rules and at no point did I think anything other than the specific sections with -1's on them couldn't be used or moved as normal. I thought the rules were pretty clear that once you decide to use a good to cover up spaces that you NEED to cover to get income/bonus goods or reduce negative point spaces, only then can you not use or move the goods. Sheep and cattle are completely different things like boats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.