BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Advice needed! Please help. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
andrew mccollin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone!

First of all I would like to say thank you for stopping by.

This is my first ever thread on here so please be gentle with me.

I need your collective help/advice as I am hosting a 'board game evening' at my work as part of a social integration initiative and I need some help picking games to bring along that people (who have only ever played monopoly etc) will be able to grasp and enjoy. Bear in mind these games need to grab their attention enough to make this a recurring event and make people wonder what other games are out there.

I already have a list of 'definitely will bring' but need a little help tying up some of the other games I have available (browse my collection for availability)

So, a little information about the place I work. I work for a bank called Santander in a call centre. Approx. 150 people work on the same floor as me ranging in ages from 17 to 65 with all types of culture and interests as you can imagine with such a large work force.

This event will be held in several meeting rooms located around the call centre with the ability to seat around 10 people per room so I can split 1-3 games per room if numbers are high enough.

The list of games I will be taking are as follows:
The resistance
Ticket to ride 10th anniversary
Camel up
Shadows over Camelot
Exploding kittens
King of Tokyo
Codenames
Diamant
Splendour
No thanks

Any help/advice/feedback is truly appreciated and I thank you in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just about anyone can play these:
Coup
Love Letter
Sushi Go

Forbidden Desert is probably light enough.

There are probably some people who would just want to play Scrabble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Platt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
You work in a bank, you gotta have Monopoly on that list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew mccollin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Come along after work and spend 3 hours doing more work related things while someone hogs one card of each set haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew mccollin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VaultBoy wrote:
Just about anyone can play these:
Coup
Love Letter
Sushi Go

Forbidden Desert is probably light enough.

There are probably some people who would just want to play Scrabble.

Thank you very much, I actually overlooked sushi go and coup for some reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Platt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
andymac182 wrote:
Come along after work and spend 3 hours doing more work related things while someone hogs one card of each set haha.

If that's how your games of Monopoly turn out then you don't know how to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew mccollin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know how to play it, but we are talking about a large group of people who have their own 'house rules' that 'make the game more fun' but inevitably just orchestrate it's own downfall. I don't wish to reteach monopoly to people when I can show them the other side of the veil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Olivier, Sr.
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thrown off by the '...as part of a social initiative' line. Is this a work-sponsored 'must attend' event or a less formal thing that people can go to? If it's the latter, is there a 'sign up' sheet to give you a realistic estimate of how many people may attend?

Also, you may want to see how many people are already familiar with the hobby and recruit their help, especially if this is taking place in several rooms with more than one game in each room. They may also have some gateway games that they'd be willing to contribute.

The list you have seems pretty reasonable (though I'm not familiar with 'Shadows over Camelot').

Here's some additional games that might fit the bill.

Bohnanza - Up to 7 players. Lots of trading and interaction.

Wits & Wagers - Trivia game where you don't have to know all the answers.

Citadels - Each player selects a role card each turn to help him/her in building a village of 8 buildings. Plays from 2-7 people.

I'm the Boss! Negotiating game of divvying up the money from multi-million dollar deals among interested parties (and their greedy relatives). Laugh-out-loud fun for 4-6 players! I brought this to our company's first board-game night - and played against the assistant manager of our entire department (among others)!

Lifeboat - 4-to-6 player card game where you not only try to survive, but also must try to save the person that you secretly love, while making sure the person you secretly hate perishes. The only 'red flag' about this game is that it DOES have player elimination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Platt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
andymac182 wrote:
I know how to play it, but we are talking about a large group of people who have their own 'house rules' that 'make the game more fun' but inevitably just orchestrate it's own downfall. I don't wish to reteach monopoly to people when I can show them the other side of the veil.

I would think that in a large group of people, some will expect it to be there, but I take your point about not wanting to spend all night telling them how to play it.

Though I would have thought that you banking types would have been well up for some financial skulduggery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew mccollin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, after all the irresponsible lending, overinflated bonuses and PPI's have been nullified there isn't much call for any 'skulduggery' curse people with morals. Banking used to be so much more fun arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your list looks great as you have a decent range of games there that are pretty easy to learn. Probably best to keep mostly to shorter games. Biblios is one that I find newcomers always enjoy. Also, to have a word/party game in the mix I think Balderdash is one of the better ones out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Dixit (you can amend the rules and make extra voting chits as required).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should bring your Fluxx along. You may not like it, but it's easy and crazy enough that some of your coworkers might.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Are others bringing games? Dividing the participants among different meeting rooms is a little dangerous, since you may be stuck in a room teaching a game, while other rooms struggle to get through the rules, or a latecomer is in that awkward situation of finding a room not to disturb to find a game. Keep the meeting room doors open, at least.

You can divide rooms by types of game. One room, then, would be for classic games, such as Scrabble, Monopoly, Bunco, etc. Another, for party games, assuming you find someone who volunteers to read the rules. Maybe you could ask if anyone wants to bring Magic decks for a CCG room.

Will there be food? Who's bringing it? Potlucks are messy, but good for socializing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do not buy Ca$h 'n Gun$.

Pete (thinks banks might be a bit touchy about that sort of thing)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Macmillan
Canada
flag msg tools
Some of my party go tos are,

Hanabi
Bohnanza
Splendor
Pirate's Cove
Jungle Speed
Escape: The Curse of the Temple

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hahn
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

For Sale would be on my list without hesitation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Lanza
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Your going to have a lot of non-gamers, your games have to be simple and approachable and not geeky rules heavy

You have to consider everyone in the group.

My suggestion

America -- Trivia board game, but nobody has to know the exact answer

Wits & Wagers - Trivia game where you don't have to know all the answers.
(Its different than America. but fun)

Exploding kittens (or similar game) -- Once people get the hang of hit, it is fun

Codenames -- I would recommend the Pictures version which is much more approachable, but either can work. This works because you can have teams of spys.

Cranium -- Yes, I said it, but again, approachable and very interactive. I have had people who say "no, I don't want to play, I will just watch", later say, okay can I play the next round"

Pictionary -- Yep, you need something familiar to many. You may not play this one at all, but just is case you have an option.

Farkle -- Again, easy -- if the point is for everyone to get involved and some people will be shy, you need easier games. Three days a week I have to take a train to work, I have played this on the train and complete strangers have asked to play and now I have a lot people I greet when I am on the evening train.

Take a survey when you are done. See what you audience says. Then the next time, you can go more complex. Also, you can't GM every game, so unless others are willing to dig into the rules or has played one of the games, it will get difficult. That last statement depends on how many people are coming to the event and the age of the group.

The last time I did this we had 20 people. We setup 5 games and my wife and brother and his wife helped GM the event.

Anyway, good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're will to drop a few bucks, I'd pick up the following without any hesitation:
Hanabi
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
Two Rooms and a Boom

You can probably get all three for around $50 total. The first is just a great, light coop that will pull people in; the second is The Resistance-esque but with a 5-minute limit (perfect for people wanting to drop in and out, or who are waiting for The Resistance to free up because that game is the shit); TR&aB because it accommodates a huge group without shitty player elimination.

Also you might as well grab Dixit and Telestrations because you need them. Citadels is also a very good, underrated game.

Would have picked Mascarade as an obvious choice from your collection, but clearly you don't hold that game in high esteem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Candace Mercer
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would add party games, even Pictionary! or for alternatives - see this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkejNDp8624 and this on for alternatives to cards against humanity https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lmZDkejJxY

They are short, funny, and the games he picks are solid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JJRR_Esq wrote:
Would have picked Mascarade as an obvious choice from your collection, but clearly you don't hold that game in high esteem.

The OP might not, but if there will be 150 people in attendance, there may well be some who will like it. That's the reason I suggested he take Fluxx along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew mccollin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for all of your valued input! It has made this daunting ordeal seem a lot more manageable. Hopefully it goes down a storm. I won't be buying games for this particular event this time around as it is more of a trial. If things pick up and interest is high enough I may even get a small budget to play with
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew mccollin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PS. I HHHHHHAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTEEEEEEEE Mascarade!!!!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andymac182 wrote:
PS. I HHHHHHAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTEEEEEEEE Mascarade!!!!!!!!

All the more reason to take it. Someone there may absolutely love it, and you'll have one Christmas present already taken care of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew mccollin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would be a good idea but I don't get rid of games. I'm a hoarder haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.