Subject: Cost to play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm super excited to try this game out. However, looking at the cost to get a full set is really making wonder if the LCG model has killed collectible for me. Each box of boosters has maybe 6 legendary cards in it. There are 17 in the set, you need 2 copies of each. You would have to buy 5.6 boxes to get enough legendary cards that if they are all about equal in value you could trade for a full play set. That's 636$ USD retail. That's 12 board games I could have purchased...

If you want to go to tourneys and have a shot at winning you will need to spend at least 1/2 that so you can trade and build a few good decks. You could net deck buy singles for that one deck that does well but how fun is only have enough cards to play the same deck over and over...

My entire netrunner collection cost me about the same over 4 years of playing it and I have over 1000 different cards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it only depends how much you actually need to have a full set.
given the few cards/dice needed to build a deck, im sure you can collect a descent deck with only 1-2 boxes.

some characters may not be worth having their 2nd dice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also figured around $600 to get a full set. Once I played Codex I did the smart thing for me and checked out of Destiny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Why do you need a full set to play the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Casual
United States
Springfield
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wait 10 minutes and get on ebay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold G
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Crikrunner wrote:
Each box of boosters has maybe 6 legendary cards in it. There are 17 in the set, you need 2 copies of each. You would have to buy 5.6 boxes to get enough legendary cards that if they are all about equal in value you could trade for a full play set. That's 636$ USD retail.

Speaking as someone who admittedly does not have much experience with CCGs, is it actually a viable/effective way to get a full playset, as opposed to secondary market?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
All I'm saying is I like having all the options available. You will need to spend serious money to win tourneys, but being good won't be good enough until you have enough cards to build a tier 1 deck. Having 2x of all the cards will let you adapt and build the best deck for each tourney.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Egan
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Perf wrote:
Crikrunner wrote:
Each box of boosters has maybe 6 legendary cards in it. There are 17 in the set, you need 2 copies of each. You would have to buy 5.6 boxes to get enough legendary cards that if they are all about equal in value you could trade for a full play set. That's 636$ USD retail.

Speaking as someone who admittedly does not have much experience with CCGs, is it actually a viable/effective way to get a full playset, as opposed to secondary market?

No, because the reality is even if you open enough packs to give you numbers wise enough to get a set, odds are you'll pull 3 or 4 of some cards and none of others. So you will have to resort to some level of the secondary market to swap out those cards for ones you need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
I also figured around $600 to get a full set. Once I played Codex I did the smart thing for me and checked out of Destiny.

Codex is a lot of fun (Kickstarter'd the Deluxe) but Destiny and it doesn't really scratch the same itch for me. The Dice, Theme, and general quick no downtime engaging gameplay of Destiny puts it in a different play category for me than Codex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
I would say the cost will range from ~1215$(starter) to whatever you wish to spend on it.

The beauty with ccgs is that it creates a secondary market where people will trade each other and sell/buy singles, if the game takes off.

*Also, if you need need NEED every card you're probably gonna have a bad time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt anders
Canada
sherwood park
alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the need not to switch from villain to hero decks, then collecting one side will keep costs down. Won't be exactly half since there are neutral cards for both sides. Also if specializing in just two or even just one of the three colors of a faction will also drop the costs down for the number of boosters to buys when trading away the extra cards/dice. From my experience with deck building, is that the deck build is only part of a winning combo, the other part is the player knowing the game and understanding on what could happen with his opponents cards/build and what he has for his deck build and the current state of the board. As more sets come out, building a mono color deck might be quite good. When I was in magic, I never had a complete set and often stuck to certain colors for the majority of my cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.