Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Trek Legacy is the latest offering from Gale Force 9. It borrows some elements from other good games, and puts the Star Trek flavor into a 4X strategy game. It has some limitations, and continues in the vein of GF9's policy of cash grabbing fans of a series as much as possible.

ARTWORK AND PRODUCTION -

The quality of production is the best I have seen from GF9 to date. The miniature ships are very well made, the art work is fresh and clean, with the icons on the cards very easy to follow, without having rely on the rule book to remember what each icon means. The presentation doesn't flood the game with Cliché moments, it feels very vanilla which is refreshing. They have taken just enough of the franchise to make a game rather than putting token moments from the films and tv shows.

GAME PLAY & SIMILARITIES -

At it's heart STA is a 4X, it has all the elements that make a good 4X game. Start small, expand, explore the unknown, some exploring will cause you to loose ships while others will benefit you with bonus actions. This is how exploring should be, unlike some recent games, this is done right. Risk and reward.

Each turn consists of players constructing items in a building phases and then an action phase, which allows for moving of ships, colonizing and researching. This is one of the 2 issues with the game. While one player does all their constructing and actions, the other players sit there and do nothing. It really makes the game drag, and this seems to be a common issue with a lot of the GF9 games. This element feels antiquated and adds a lot of play time to the game.

The innovative map creation mechanic of placing warp conduits of differing lengths, initially seemed new and fresh, but after a while it just felt like a mash up of eclipse and starcraft. Although this mechanic does make for a unique and differing map layout with every game, it's nothing that other games don't already do.

Winning the game is actually pretty simple, there are two options, either take over the other 2 opponents home worlds, or have 5 ascendancy tokens. With the latter being the more sensible path to victory, as it only costs 5 culture tokens to buy an ascendancy token.

FINAL THOUGHTS -

I did enjoy my time with the game, although it is to long for only a 3 player game. The 3 player count is also a limitation of the game, it would be more balanced with a fourth player, but would easily add over an hour of play time.

I also have a huge issue with the price of this game and the fact that true to form, GF9 have 2 expansions ready to go at $50 each, to ensure that they cash grab fans of Star Trek and 4X games, as much as possible. There is no excuse why the 2 upcoming factions weren't included in the base game, as the game retails for around $160 in my country. I would be keen to play the game again but would never buy it, it just isn't worth the asking price. GF9's credibility has completely gone out the window for me.

SUMMARY -

4 Artwork
4 Theme
3 Ease of learning
3 Replay Value
3 Innovation
1 Length
4 Interaction
1 Value for money

Average Score = 2.875/5.0

Recommend it = No to buying it, yes to playing it if you have 3-4 hours. The bang for buck in the game is not warranted, yes it's a Star Trek 4X for the most part done well, but having only 3 factions in the base game is ridiculous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris pax

Alabaster
Alabama
msg tools
mbmb
I think this game captures the feel of star trek exceptionally well. And th3 price iw likly due to the liscense of starctrek not gale force 9s fault really. And i believe the expansions are 30$ btw
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
He's talking AU$, not US$...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Holmstrom
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I must be out of touch with how most game groups operate these days because, to me, 3-4 hours is the perfect length for gaming on a school night, i.e. Monday through Thursday. Yet I see reviews about various mid-weight games like this and Star Wars Rebellion docking those games because of it.

Now if you aren't having fun that's a different story.

Thumb for the review though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cash Grab? Silly them to sell products and make money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You get the name wrong in the first sentance, and it would seem, you have a massive axe to grind against this company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Appreciate the review, though I disagree. I got it on Amazon for ~$70 US and I am very happy with the value I received. I plan on likely buying at least the first couple expansions as well.

The 3 player restriction is somewhat annoying but I understand why it exists and I'm ok with it. The playtime is long but it seems rewarding for it's length so I'm ok with it also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Stanton
United States
Paoli
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cost of purchasing/shipping games outside the U.S. ("overseas games") can certainly be an issue. For those of us in the U.S., costs are much more reasonable.

Having said that, all such overseas games should be proportionally higher which should smooth the 'value' question.

What similar game/games do you value more highly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Beermann
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Your price on the expansions is incorrect. The MSRP is $34.99, the store I shop at is selling them for $23.09 and the core game for $65.99. I would suggest shopping around for your board games. Locale hobby stores are definitely not the way to go. I love supporting them but when I have a locale store that sells games for such a discount I just can't justify it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
You get the name wrong in the first sentance, and it would seem, you have a massive axe to grind against this company.

www.GF9.com, what did I get wrong exactly? No axe to grind, it just seems to be the latest thing to do these days. It's the DLC version from video games creeping into board games. You can have some of the game now, and the rest later. When GF9 have got time to put the expansion leaflet in the base game box, that's a issue for me. Here's the carrot, you want the whole carrot, give us more money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fiatkid55 wrote:
The cost of purchasing/shipping games outside the U.S. ("overseas games") can certainly be an issue. For those of us in the U.S., costs are much more reasonable.

Having said that, all such overseas games should be proportionally higher which should smooth the 'value' question.

What similar game/games do you value more highly?

Similar games that I own that I feel have a better monetary value would be, Twilight Imperium that retails in AU for $100, eclipse for $80 and Forbidden Stars for $100. We do get the rough end of the stick is Aus with board games. Uwe Rosenberg's new game is $170 here as another example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
biffer75 wrote:
Your price on the expansions is incorrect. The MSRP is $34.99, the store I shop at is selling them for $23.09 and the core game for $65.99. I would suggest shopping around for your board games. Locale hobby stores are definitely not the way to go. I love supporting them but when I have a locale store that sells games for such a discount I just can't justify it.

No, my prices are correct, the game is $150-160 in Au, and expansions are $50-$60.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.