$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 130.37

7,676 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
48.4% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Best starting Cthulhu Mythos game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jules Redmand
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Looking to get into Lovecraft themed games and to say that I'm overawed by the amount of Cthulhu themed games out there would be an understatement. I've recently purchased a large book on Lovecraft's works and looking for a game/games to get into this world and so any types of suggestions of where to start and why that would be great and much appreciated.

My criteria is pretty broad in general

1. Makes no difference if it is board game or card game
2. Preferably should have expansions that are still coming out
3. Scenario length is not important and neither is set-up time
3. BUT MOST Importantly needs to be solitaire friendly.

Have put this post in a couple of sections to try and get the best feedback.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, look no further than mansions of madness 2.

The game is brand-new, streamlined, lots of expansions guaranteed to come, plays great as a solitaire game (in which you will have to control multiple investigators, but I assume that will not be a problem) and is dripping with theme and atmosphere.

Please do have a look around on these forums to see if it is something for you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
Elder sign! A great little dice/ card game based in the Arkham universe. It's a good game to start off with due to its price point. The if you like LCG's the new Arkham horror card game is due out very soon. And the maybe pick eldritch horror and mansions of madness 2nd edition. The later two are both fantastic games but have a much higher price tag. I wish your investigators the best of luck.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Matthew Bower wrote:
Elder sign! A great little dice/ card game based in the Arkham universe. It's a good game to start off with due to its price point. The if you like LCG's the new Arkham horror card game is due out very soon. And the maybe pick eldritch horror and mansions of madness 2nd edition. The later two are both fantastic games but have a much higher price tag. I wish your investigators the best of luck.


The LCG is very unlikely to be solitaire friendly, unless they have numbers and suits allowing you to literally play solitaire.

Also, you just listed the entire arkham horror catalog.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
With all of these FFG cthulhu games I'd strongly advise you to try before you buy. I'm a big fan of elder sign BUT the mechanics are really abstracted from the flavor vs something like Mansions of Madness.

I don't know about Call of Cthulhu but the other games with the exception of Elder Sign have a tendency to drag on and the listed play times FFG gives are blatant lies.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can recommend Elder Sign: Omens, though. It is an app-game you can get for 5 euros and is great fun actually. It has currently 3 expansions you can get each expanding the game quite a bit.

It is great, but it just isnt a board game.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mansions of Madness would bring you in on a personal level, I think. It's very focused in its narrative and while the other games have plenty of flavour text and oodles of thematic play, Mansions of Madness is the most immersive purely because of that focus. The Arkham LCG is similar in that regard and could definitely give you the same kind of feeling as an in to the theme, but I have to give the edge on that count (and, honestly, only on that count) to MoM 2.0. On the other hand, Arkham LCG is buyable for less than a third the price of MoM.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osiris Saline
Australia
Red Hill
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
I'd say for the cheaper price, solitaire play, and the fact the games don't last anywhere near as long, Elder Sign is what you're best starting out with.

If you're looking for a truly board gamey-board game, then Eldritch Horror is amazing, as is Mansions of Madness 2nd Ed, but I feel the solitaire Mansions of Madness takes away a lot of tension which comes with social co-op.

Vardaine wrote:
I can recommend Elder Sign: Omens, though. It is an app-game you can get for 5 euros and is great fun actually. It has currently 3 expansions you can get each expanding the game quite a bit.

It is great, but it just isnt a board game.


This is a great call if you download the Elder Sign rulebook first as the tutorials are lacking. If you want to play this on a laptop/desktop computer instead of a tablet it's on Steam right now at a reduced price, which includes all of the DLC expansions - http://store.steampowered.com/app/257670/
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules Redmand
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for all the opinions and insights

Well I've already decided on Mansions of Madness as one of my games of choice here, as it has strongly been recommended on the other game section that I've posted for opinions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:

The LCG is very unlikely to be solitaire friendly, unless they have numbers and suits allowing you to literally play solitaire.


Really? I thought it was at least loosely modeled on LOTR LCG, and that arguably plays best solitaire. Why wouldn't Arkham be a soloable game?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
More Mellotron wrote:
KoalaXav wrote:

The LCG is very unlikely to be solitaire friendly, unless they have numbers and suits allowing you to literally play solitaire.


Really? I thought it was at least loosely modeled on LOTR LCG, and that arguably plays best solitaire. Why wouldn't Arkham be a soloable game?


Sorry. You're right. The description does say 1-4 players. I am just used to games of this nature being intended to play two or more. I didnt realize it was a co-op so objection withdrawn. But that doesnt change the fact that, when asked to recommend an Arkham game, Matt listed the entire Arkham Horror catalog, both released and unreleased.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
I'd go for Eldritch Horror or this.

Elder Sign is a great little game but doesn't give much of a feel for the Lovecraft universe.

Mansions of Madness is the most heavily story-driven game, though at the moment Eldritch Horror with a few expansion has far greater variety and potential for stories.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
KoalaXav wrote:
Matthew Bower wrote:
Elder sign! A great little dice/ card game based in the Arkham universe. It's a good game to start off with due to its price point. The if you like LCG's the new Arkham horror card game is due out very soon. And then maybe pick eldritch horror and mansions of madness 2nd edition. The later two are both fantastic games but have a much higher price tag. I wish your investigators the best of luck.


The LCG is very unlikely to be solitaire friendly, unless they have numbers and suits allowing you to literally play solitaire.

Also, you just listed the entire arkham horror catalog.


Firstly if you knew what the hell you are talking about The Arkham horror the card game is for 1-4 players if that's not solitaire then what is???? And to your comment about me listing their catalog, what I was aiming for was to suggest games that aren't so expensive as MoM 2nd edition. So yes I named most of the games but they are in order of price. And what are you commenting on this anyway? According to your account you own one of the Arkham universe games and have not played the others so what would you know what's good and what's not!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Matthew Bower wrote:
KoalaXav wrote:
Matthew Bower wrote:
Elder sign! A great little dice/ card game based in the Arkham universe. It's a good game to start off with due to its price point. The if you like LCG's the new Arkham horror card game is due out very soon. And then maybe pick eldritch horror and mansions of madness 2nd edition. The later two are both fantastic games but have a much higher price tag. I wish your investigators the best of luck.


The LCG is very unlikely to be solitaire friendly, unless they have numbers and suits allowing you to literally play solitaire.

Also, you just listed the entire arkham horror catalog.


Firstly if you knew what the hell you are talking about The Arkham horror the card game is for 1-4 players if that's not solitaire then what is???? And to your comment about me listing their catalog, what I was aiming for was to suggest games that aren't so expensive as MoM 2nd edition. So yes I named most of the games but they are in order of price. And what are you commenting on this anyway? According to your account you own one of the Arkham universe games and have not played the others so what would you know what's good and what's not!


And if you would read up you would see that I already apologized for that and pointed out my mistake. Also, playing games and owning games are not synonymous. I have played several games I do not own. And in some cases, have even owned games I have not played.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorg UR
msg tools
mb
Dawn Raider wrote:
Looking to get into Lovecraft themed games and to say that I'm overawed by the amount of Cthulhu themed games out there would be an understatement. I've recently purchased a large book on Lovecraft's works and looking for a game/games to get into this world and so any types of suggestions of where to start and why that would be great and much appreciated.

My criteria is pretty broad in general

1. Makes no difference if it is board game or card game
2. Preferably should have expansions that are still coming out
3. Scenario length is not important and neither is set-up time
3. BUT MOST Importantly needs to be solitaire friendly.

Have put this post in a couple of sections to try and get the best feedback.


The original Arkham Horror from 1987 by Chaosium. No question!

Also, I have to mention Cthulhu Dice!
Board game/card game: well, something completely different.
Expansions: none, unfortunately...
Set-up time & scenario length: you don't have to worry about those!
Solitaire friendly: just buy a plush Cthulhu for a 2nd player. With a Lovecraft doll and a Yog-Sothoth figure you can even play 2 vs 2!
devil - Sorry, couldn't resist...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I would recommend either Mansions 2 or Eldritch Horror. Both are good, and thematically speaking Mansions of Madness focuses on mystery and the "lesser" beings that make up the mythos, while Eldritch is a globe trotting adventure against the Great Old Ones themselves.

Both games can be played Solitaire, and both games are still relevant for upcoming expansions. In fact if you choose Eldritch Horror I strongly recommend getting the Foresaken Lore expansion along side the base game. That's the only time I would recommend getting an expansion with a base game purchase as well.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J N
msg tools
It may not be a good response, but if you have some people to play board/card games, you could also try the RPG. Call of Cthulhu (the RP) has a few great and cheap books for new players to try the game. And if you have played the RP a little, all the board games will feel so much better and comfortable to you.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Egor Tilpunov
Germany
Bad Homburg
Hesse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mythos tales - less of a board game, more of reading a story and following clues.
Mansions of Madness - The app driven approach gives more interesting gaming experience, and expansions are still coming.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
I'd go for Eldritch Horror or this.

Elder Sign is a great little game but doesn't give much of a feel for the Lovecraft universe.

Mansions of Madness is the most heavily story-driven game, though at the moment Eldritch Horror with a few expansion has far greater variety and potential for stories.


Eldritch Horror has the best mechanics for solo/co op play.

By far the best rule book for a FFGame too.

Each solo session is like reading a short story of HP LOVECRAFT if you take your time.

Oddly enough I love MoM1 more than MoM2 because of the too mechanical play of the latter. I consider MoM2 not really a Lovecraft game, more a monster basher game with a bad interface.

Elder Sign is good too but is not playing in the same League as EH.

I am curious about the new Lovecraft Card game and its solo play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of the Arkham line of FFG board games but they are a pale imitation of the works of HP Lovecraft. I think games like the RPG Call of Cthulhu (7th Edition) and Mythos Tales are a little closer to the literary origins.

Mythos Tales comes the closest to your criteria, except that I wouldn't expect expansions any time soon (if ever).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
Amersham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Budapest wrote:
I'm a big fan of the Arkham line of FFG board games but they are a pale imitation of the works of HP Lovecraft. I think games like the RPG Call of Cthulhu (7th Edition) and Mythos Tales are a little closer to the literary origins.

Mythos Tales comes the closest to your criteria, except that I wouldn't expect expansions any time soon (if ever).

I agree with your comment on Mythos Tales except with one small correction. I wouldn't expect official expansions any time soon. It's sometimes surprising how much dedicated fans can create!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Budapest wrote:
I'm a big fan of the Arkham line of FFG board games but they are a pale imitation of the works of HP Lovecraft. I think games like the RPG Call of Cthulhu (7th Edition) and Mythos Tales are a little closer to the literary origins.

Mythos Tales comes the closest to your criteria, except that I wouldn't expect expansions any time soon (if ever).


I'm fairly sure they're still planning the tenth case but it'll be sold as a print-and-play on the website (and the KS bonus case should be made available in the same way too)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.