BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Board game wisdom required please rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Ward
England
flag msg tools
Hello all out there,
I'm a reluctant DM for D&D and our group has recently diminished (they moved) leaving just three of us. So I'm looking for suggestions of games that can stand repeated play and don't require a DM. Ideally similar to D&D but that's not essential.
thank you for your time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Camas
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
The wargame forum is kind of a strange place to post for that, but you might like Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) where one player is the force of darkness (a pseudo DM) against the others. If you want something fantasy related where everyone is co-op'ing against the system there are many newer games fitting that trend. One upcoming one to look at is Gloomhaven or even Mechs vs. Minions where everyone plays against the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
mrstoat wrote:
So I'm looking for suggestions of games that can stand repeated play and don't require a DM. Ideally similar to D&D but that's not essential.

these could work...?
Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game
Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well you could try the D&D boardgames like Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game. Personally I think they're crap but YMMV
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ward
England
flag msg tools
Yes sorry my mistake. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a couple of miniature/RPG hybrids that support "same side" play.

2 Hour Dungeon Crawl (Two Hour Wargames reaction system)
Four Against Darkness (Ganesha Games Song of Blades & Heroes system). Also look at their Tales of Blades and Heroes, though I don't think this may support same side play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from Wargames to Recommendations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 for Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)

Another game with tons of replayability in a fantasy setting is Mage Knight Board Game, although it is quite complex.

If you want a similiar game but with a sci-fi theme, try Level 7 [Omega Protocol] or Star Wars: Imperial Assault. Since you said you'd like it to be similiar to D&D, maybe just go with the other two.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark City Games has a large selection of paragraph driven adventures (mostly fantasy, but also SF and one Western) that would fit your bill.

They're similar to D&D (Strength, Dexterity, and IQ are the only stats), and use a 3d6 resolution system for most things.

It's compatible with Melee/Wizard, so if you can get a hold of some old MetaGaming MicroQuests such as Death Test, you'd have enough fodder for a long time.

My wife and daughter joined me to play through Legends of the Ancient World: The Sewers of Redpoint, and that took us 4-5 sessions to complete, so it totally scratches that gaming itch without a DM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tysoch Tysoch
Canada
flag msg tools
What about Tales of the Arabian Nights? I don't think it reaches the depth of D&D but its a great game and gives me an adventure in a shorter time than D&D.

There is also Mage Knight Board Game for more of an RPG feel or Mice and Mystics and Legends of Andor for more story telling games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder wrote:
The wargame forum is kind of a strange place to post for that

Bah! Of course it belonged in the wargames forums. It says clearly on the box it's a wargame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Cheow
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
+ 1 for descent 2nd edition. it has a free app to act as the DM currently as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely look into Sword & Sorcery, which should be coming out early next year.

Other than that, the aforementioned Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) with the Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Road to Legend app is a good choice for sure. The new Delve campaign for the app should offer quite a bit of replayability.

I also second the upcoming Gloomhaven. There is a great video about it [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdRirVHY3Qc]here[/url). Definitely worth checking out.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Get in on the pre-order (so you get the kickstarter bonuses) for folklore the affliction! I think they're running the pre-orders until the end of December (I may be wrong, fact check that). The game aims to recreate that RPG experience without a DM in a way that I don't think any other games really do. If you look at some of the sample pages they put out there on the story book I think you'd be impressed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.