BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: reluctant DM in need of help. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Ward
England
flag msg tools
Hello all out there,
I'm a reluctant DM for D&D and our group has recently diminished (they moved) leaving just three of us. So I'm looking for suggestions of games that can stand repeated play and don't require a DM. Ideally similar to D&D but that's not essential.
thank you for your time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) (with the app as DM)
Arcadia Quest (pure fun)
Mage Knight Board Game (epic)
Dungeons & Dragons: Temple of Elemental Evil Board Game (D&D hack & slash, 4th game in a series)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ward
England
flag msg tools
Mage Knight looks good. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends what similarities you want.

The obvious seems to be the dungeon crawl plus levelling up, in which case the suggestions above are solid.

The more specific you are, the better suggestions you will get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Been looking for that game for years now and I've yet to find it done as I'd like. My next hopefuls are Sword & Sorcery and Massive Darkness (for a lighter option).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben Robbins newest indie RPG, Follow, might be right up your alley. Plays three (to five) DM-less. Challenging and very replayable ... it's based around the concept of a quest. Quests can be your typical fantasy-type thing, or any genre that is a goal for the players to accomplish, defined by the group at the game start.

To complete your quest, you confront a series of challenges. Each success makes you more likely to win the quest and each failure makes it harder... but not impossible.

The challenges you choose determine what kind of story you're telling, so you can play the same quest over and over again and have a completely different experience each time. You could play a Heist that was all about casing the joint and crafting a cunning plan, another that was all car chases and gun fights, or one that was all about lying low until the heat blows over and you figure out who ratted you out to the cops. They're all a Heist, but even though they're totally different flavors of heists, one quest template can do them all.

So the Dungeon, check. Also quests like the Colony, the Music, the Candidate, the Cure, the Gods, the Superheroes. $10 gets you the PDF immediately after the current KS ends. His other RPGs like Microscope are amazing and recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloomhaven Is the game you're looking for. Characters gain experience and you explore a changing evolving world in a continuous campaign with no DM needed.

The only thing is it's not due for release until January 2017.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As an unreluctant GM, Mice and Mystics is my favorite. I had high hopes for Star Wars imperial assualt but ultimately was put off by the competitive nature of the rebel vs imperial players. It does have a few somewhat clever scenarios and good mechanics, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
Ben Robbins newest indie RPG, Follow, might be right up your alley. Plays three (to five) DM-less. Challenging and very replayable ... it's based around the concept of a quest. Quests can be your typical fantasy-type thing, or any genre that is a goal for the players to accomplish, defined by the group at the game start.

$10 gets you the PDF immediately after the current KS ends. His other RPGs like Microscope are amazing and recommended.

Is there any downloadable material at all for this available? It seems good, but is very much a "black box" right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesbook wrote:
DaveyJJ wrote:

$10 gets you the PDF immediately after the current KS ends. His other RPGs like Microscope are amazing and recommended.

Is there any downloadable material at all for this available? It seems good, but is very much a "black box" right now.

Just the descriptions he has posted on the KS page, some feedback on places like the Story Games website, a handful of AARs from groups playing it in Seattle, and one or two indie RPG bloggers whose opinions I really trust.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.