4 Posts

Royals» Forums » General

Subject: Second edition: any rules change? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ernesto Pavan
msg tools
Hi there,

I understand there's a second edition of this game coming/already out. Does it change any of the rules/mechanics, or just the aesthetics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
ErnestoPavan wrote:
Hi there,

I understand there's a second edition of this game coming/already out. Does it change any of the rules/mechanics, or just the aesthetics?

The board is different in England ... in London where a Cardinal has been added, and some minor changes in Edinburgh and Dublin as far as influence cards required. I also think there's a slight change in how you set up the cards for different player counts.

To my knowledge that's it, but I have only ever owned the new edition so maybe someone else knows of more.

Also, on of the biggest cosmetics difference is the re-ordering of the bonus tiles in the bottom corner from most to least valuable. Very nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hawes
United States
Prospect
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The only significant changes in the Arcane Wonders' edition of Royals are the changes to the nobles in Britain. The mix of nobles in Edinburgh and Dublin is different, but most importantly a Cardinal has been added in London and he has 3 control points making him quite powerful.

Previously it was a simple race in Britain to be the first to get the King and although this always made for a lot of tension, I always felt the strategy in Britain was too limited. Now the City bonus of 8 points in London can be won by placing the Cardinal there or do you risk waiting to get 3 more cards to claim the King and not only get the London bonus, but also win Britain which gives another 8 points when Country scoring occurs. Players must carefully watch how many Britain cards are chosen by their opponents.

If one player has the Cardinal (3 control points) and another has the King (4 control points) the nobles in Edinburgh and Dublin can swing Britain, so they become much morse important than in the previous edition.

Another thing to consider if you do the Cardinal strategy to get the 8 point London bonus, is that 1 Intrigue card can remove him, whereas if you own the King he is harder to remove, since it requires 2 Intrigue cards to kill a King.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had the original for almost 2 years. Played new version yesterday.
Although the new cards are beautiful, I think the color scheme on the new board is Inferior to the beautiful original. The muted colors of the original allowed the cubes to "pop" while they are lost on the new board.

Two rule changes:

1. You no longer need to maintain an upper and lower cemetery in cities with 2 nobles as the restriction on re-influencing the same noble has been removed.

2. At the end of each of the 3 rounds, if the 3 up cards can be replaced, but there are no draw cards, the deck is shuffled to give the next player the full amount of card choices.

I think I will institute #2 but not #1 on future games of my old version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.