UT
flag msg tools
designer
The Battle of Agincourt and the Death of Chivalry
badge
Tastes of Siege is my new game for the Children's Game Design Contest
mbmbmbmbmb

2016 Children's Game Print and Play Design Contest

Welcome to the 2016 Children's Game Print and Play Design Contest!

Contest Rules
Important Dates
Entry Deadline: December 4th, 2016 11:59 PM BGG Time (CST)
Voting Page Available: December 11th, 2016
Voting Deadline: December 18th, 2016 11:59 PM BGG Time (CST)

Game Entry Requirements
The games in this contest should be designed for parents to play with young children. The rules should be simple, yet contain a decision tree or a way for players to react to the randomness. Games should not be decided (won or lost) based on random factors that don't depend on player action (aka Candy Land).

The games entered in this contest should either be new or contain a significant update to a previously released game (a game released as PNP, published, or entered into another contest). Previously released games may not be entered unchanged.

Entry Limits
Designers may enter up to two games into this contest.

Game Licensing
Designers may release their game under any license they deem appropriate. This can include full Copyright Protection, a Creative Commons license, or release into the Public Domain. The only requirement for the contest is (obviously) that anyone should be able to legally print and assemble their own copies for personal use.

Regardless of license type, the games in this contest must be freely available as PNP for the duration of the contest. Once the contest is over, the designer is free to remove the PNP edition of the game so that the game can be published or sold using a pay-for-PNP model. Designers retain all rights to their games under whatever license is appropriate.

Designers need to have full legal right over the games entered into this contest. Games should not contain artwork or characters that are protected by copyright or trademark without permission from the owner. Games may include content protected by Creative Commons or Copyleft licenses so long as the rules regarding redistribution and derivative works are followed. Artwork or characters in the public domain are of course allowed.

Game Design
Other than age-appropriateness, there are no specific design qualifications for this contest. The game mechanics, theme, and amount of randomness are left to the discretion of the game designers.

Team design work is allowed for this contest. You can have multiple people working on a single game as designers, artists, playtesters, etc.

Game Components
There is no minimum or maximum limit on the number of components or rule length. Designers should be aware that larger games may be built and played by less people and therefore may not receive as many votes as games with smaller and quicker builds. (Note that the larger and complex a game is, the harder it may be for children to play.)

All games must be printable on regular A4/American Letter Paper. Large format maps and boards are okay as well so long as they can also be printed on A4/Letter paper. (For example, if a designer made a board that was designed to be printed on A3/11x17 paper, they should also provide an alternative where it can be printed on two sheets of A4/Letter paper.) Here is a useful document for determining the margin size of sheets designed to be printed on either A4 or Letter paper.

Designers are free to design whatever components work for their game. If designers want to make games that are Artscow ready or designed to be printed on perforated business cards, etc they are welcome to do so, provided that the game is also available in PDF form.

Circle, hexagonal, and other shaped pieces are allowed. If you are going to create games with difficult to cut pieces, please be aware that not everyone has a good tool to craft these and consider using squares if possible.

Designers can require that players provide a reasonable number of common game components such as cubes, dice, etc.

Game Submission
Games entered in this contest must have a WIP/Entry Thread entered in the Board Game WIP Forum. The first post of this WIP/Entry thread must contain the following:
* A link to the 2016 Children’s Print and Play Game Design Contest (this thread)
* A two or three sentence Game Summary (this will be used in the Entry List)
* An image of the game (more than one is fine but at least one is required). The image may be set up to replicate the game in play.
* Description of components required to play.
* Number of players
* Approximate Playing Time
* Categories in which the game will be competing
* Links to the current game files. Rules and components should be in pdf format. The files can be hosted on your own webserver, online storage sites (Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, etc) or in your personal BGG image gallery. The files must be freely available to anyone with the link and users should be able to download them without needing to create an account.

All of the above information will be required in the entry thread. Any other info is at the designer's discretion. Please keep the first post in your WIP/Entry thread updated with current links and information about the game.

Include the current status of your game in the Entry Thread's title. This will help other people know where you feel your game is in the design process.
1. Idea Phase/Initial Playtesting (Private Playtesting. No publicly available printed components yet.)
2. Components Ready (Public Playtesting. Printed Components are available. Game may be changed as a result of playtesting.)
3. Contest Ready (Game is complete and ready to be entered. The files cannot be changed in this status.)

To enter a game in the contest, please post to this thread or email me directly with a link to your WIP/Entry thread. The first post of the Contest Thread will contain a link to all games entered in the contest. To finalize your entry, you must make your game "Contest Ready" by geekmailing me directly or posting to this thread.

Example WIP/Entry Thread
Quote:
Entry Thread for Witches and Goblins - Components Ready
Designed for the 2016 Children’s PNP Game Design Contest.

Witches and Goblins is a board game in which players must race through a spooky land and be the first to reach the exit. Players use cards to move and must use their wits to survive the terrifying areas. The game is appropriate for young children.

Witches and Goblins contains a deck of 54 cards and an 11x17 board. The game is for 2 to 4 players. Players must provide 2 six-sided dice. The game plays in about 30 minutes.

I'd like the game to be entered in:
Best No Reading Game
Best Strategy Game

Download Links:
Rules
Game Components
Low Ink Version

Categories
1 No School/No Reading/No Math - Very young children. Pictures only
2 Preschool/Early Reading/Simple Math - Simple text on cards i.e. "Sam I Am" and "See Spot Run"
3 Elementary School/Early Sentences/Moderate Math - Reading at a roughly 1st Grade Level (i.e. Cat in the Hat)

The other categories will be game type:
1. Push Your Luck
2. Matching/Pattern Recognition
3. Story Telling/Acting
4. Dexterity
5. Racing
6. Battle/Fighting Game
7. Strategy Game
8. Co-Op Game (Parents and Children play together on same team)
9. Best Original Artwork
10. Best Coloring Book Components
11. Best Game Designed with/by Children
12. Children's Choice

More information about the categories can be found in the posts below. You may tip the prize pools for individual categories there.

Voting
There will be about two weeks available for participants to play the games. No changes to the rules or components will be allowed during this time.

The voting page will be posted on December 11th, 2016. The voting deadline is December 18th, 2016 11:59 PM Central Standard Time.

When evaluating games, players may either print and assemble the games or use any electronic modules provided (such as Vassal or Tabletop Simulator).

Players are not required to play every game in order to vote. The only requirement for voting is that the player have a BoardGameGeek account.

Prizes
Microbadge Award
Everyone who designs a game or votes in the contest will receive a 2016 Children's Game Print and Play Design Contest participant microbadge.
Below are the previous contest microbadges for reference:
mb - 2015 Contest

General Prizes
The prize pool is made up of geekgold from several sources:
Prize from me: 600 GG (200 for each of the three main categories)
Tips to this thread: tbd
Total in the General Prize Pool: tbd
To contribute to the General Prize Pool, please tip the category for the age group below or tip this post. (Tips to this post will be divided equally for each of the three main categories.

The general prize pot for each of the three main categories will be divided up among the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners in their respective categories using a 4:2:1 ratio.

Category Prizes
The prize pool for Category Prizes will be from the geekgold tipped to the Category posts in this thread. (Immediately below this post.) Category prizes will be awarded to the 1st and 2nd place winners using a 3:1 ratio. A game can potentially win more than one category. For example, the winner of the Best Preschool/Early Reading Game may also be the winner of Best Dexterity Game.

Links
A list of the games from the Print and Play Children's Game Contest that have been entered into the BGG Database.
2015 Children's Game Print and Play Contest
Children's Game Print and Play Contest Family - This family contains all of the games entered in the contest that now have BGG entries.

There is a thread to discuss the rules of this contest.
2015 Children's Game Design Contest - Discussion Thread

2015 Geekdad.com article about this contest.
2015 Children's Game Print and Play Design Contest article on Geekdad

Recommendations (Not Required)
Games should optimally have a Low Ink alternative so people can try them without using too much printer ink. This could be a version without graphics or a greyscale version.

Games should be as easy to assemble as possible. Designers should be aware that larger and hard-to-build games may be built and played by less people and therefore may not receive as many votes as games with smaller and quicker builds.

While the end result of the contest is a geekgold prize, the goal of the contest should be to design the best children's game possible and help others do the same. The contest is much more enjoyable when you participate with other designers and provide feedback for their design. I recommend playing at least two or three games for every one game you enter. I realize that real life can get in the way sometimes so this isn't a requirement, but try to help others out if you can and they will likely do the same for you.

Digital Versions of Games
Vassal Mods and Tabletop Simulator Mods are allowed in this contest. Designers are free to create digital versions for their games but must provide PNP components as well. To be clear, building a digital version is optional and is not a requirement for entering the contest.

FAQ for New Users
If you are new to BGG, I have prepared a guide to help introduce you to everything you need to know to enter a game into this contest.
Design Contest FAQ for New Users

Topics:
01. Where to Find Contest Rules
02. Creating an Entry Thread
03. BGG Formatting
04. Creating Links to Your Entry Thread
05. Adding Your Entry to a Contest Geeklist
06. Editing a Post and Updating the Title
07. Linking to External Sites (for game components)
08. Adding Pictures to Your Entry Thread
09. Subscribing to Your Entry Thread and Seeing New Replies
10. Replying and Quoting Other Posts
11. Optional: Buying an Avatar
12. Optional: Adding Your Game to BGG
13. Optional: Adding Your Game to the Contest Family
14. Optional: Adding Yourself as a Designer
15. Optional: Thumbing and Giving Geekgold to Posts
16. Optional: Choosing a License for Your Game
17. Optional: Free Art Resources for Your Game
18. Optional: Adding Your Game Entry to Your Quickbar
19. Optional: Free and Affordable Resources for Creating artwork on your PC or Mobile Device

License for Contest Rules
The contest rules are released under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. You are free to use and modify the rules for your own noncommercial contests or other projects. Please credit Chris Hansen as the original author when using these rules. This license applies only to the contest rules. It does not extend to the games entered or to the individual posts made on the contest thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Entries List

Cabbage Quest by Caroline Berg
Entry Thread
By virtue of eating a cursed cabbage you have been turned into a donkey! However, you know that you can be turned back into a human, if only you eat the right type of cabbage! This world has several types of enchanted cabbages and, unfortunately for you, all of them are located in the gardens of enchanters, wizards, sorceresses, and witches!

Critters Crossing by Rey Alicea
Entry Thread
Players race their Critters around a forest, first to cross the finish line with all five of his Critters, is declared the winner!!

Dear Santa... by Niklas Hook
Entry Thread
This is a 2-4 player family game about being the best worker elf in the shop. Christmas is just around the corner and Santa needs YOUR help to get the last present ready.

Domino Express by Marian Babcan
Entry Thread
The first locomotive race game, where victory depends on your skill and speed. Two variants, one with no luck factor, the other one using a 6-sided die, possible using dynamite to delay the rival (giving the game more adrenaline feeling, but not obligatory)

Friendly Farmers by Peter Gray
Entry Thread
Players place workers each turn in their fields to plant grow and harvest crops.

Gawi Bawi Bo by Rey Alicea
Entry Thread
This is a strategy game for 2 players ages 8+. You move and capture tiles following the Rock, Paper, Scissors rules. The player with the lowest score wins!

Inca the Tinker: Tales of a Mischievous Cat by Janice
Entry Thread
Inca the Tinker is a mischievous cat. When the lights go out he gets up to all sorts of naughtiness. Tonight, you are in charge of what he does. You must match the room, furniture and item to his adventures. The first person to match all 3 and tell their story wins. Inca the Tinker is a colour/item matching, memory and story telling game with the added bonus of word association for older children. It can be scaled depending on the age of the child.

KIKA by Charles Ward
Entry Thread
Are you a fan of light, short, abstract games? Do you like puzzle like tile-laying games? Do you like a lot of replay value in your games? The same game, but one that can be played in different way? Do you like to print and play games? If you are still reading and/or said yes to all the questions above, then you are going to love KIKA.

Otto the Octopus by Mark Tuck
Entry Thread
A tile laying game for 1 - 4 players. Players take it in turn to extend and complete Otto's arms, whilst also laying other sea creature tiles for various bonuses and effects.

The Playful Unicorn by John Kean
Entry Thread
Unicorn started out as simple simultaneous action pair matching game for young children, but has since evolved into an assortment of children's games using the same deck of cards.

Wall Climbers by Joseph Propati
Entry Thread
You compete against your opponent to climb to the top of the wall before your opponent. You will use dice with images of hands and feet, which you will roll and then match up with the same images on the game board. By placing your dice on the images you can progress up the wall to the top.

YO!Fish by Todd Sanders
Entry Thread
In YO!Fish, players will place colored fish cards adjacent to one another scoring points for those cards of the same color touching or they may place a card of a higher value on a card of lower value as long as the colors do not match. They score the sum of these cards and then they are removed from the play area.

ZooStopia by Romuald Chapeau
Entry Thread
You are the Police force in Zootopia... Yesterday, chicken were eaten!!! You have to communicate well to find and arrest the Feral Killer before his next meal!

Total Entries
Total Games: 13
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the prize for the Best Game Designed for Very Young Children.
Games in this category should be intended for children with no reading ability, no math skills, and no schooling.

I will contribute 200 Geekgold to this category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the prize for the Best Game Designed for Preschool/Kindergarten Children.
Games in this category should be intended for children with early math skills and/or early reading ability. i.e. "Sam I Am" and "See Spot Run"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the prize for the Best Game Designed for Early Elementary School Children.
Games in this category should be intended for children with reading skills and/or math skills at a roughly 1st Grade Level (i.e. Cat in the Hat)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Push Your Luck Game Category.

I will contribute 25 Geekgold to this category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Matching/Pattern Recognition Game Category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Storytelling/Acting Game Category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Dexterity Game Category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Racing Game Category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Battle/Fighting Game Category.

Games in this category do not need to be about historical battles (although they certainly may be). They should feature some typical battle or PvP mechanics but could be about fantasy themes, princesses, or any other theme that appeals to children.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Strategy Game Category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Cooperative Game Category. (Parents and children play together on the same team)

Co-Op games will be allowed more advanced text than other categories since parents can help the child with the reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Original Artwork Category.

This award is for games featuring original artwork. Previously released games are allowed in the category so long as they had original art when they were released. A limited amount of existing art (such as images from game-icons.net) are allowed so long as the bulk of the art is original to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Coloring Book Components Category. These games should allow the children to color in the game pieces/cards/etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Game Designed with/by Children Category. These games should include design ideas from children 18 or under.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Children's Choice Category. The voting form will allow a special section where only children can vote and their favorite game will get this prize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the list of games that were entered into the contest but withdrawn for various reasons. I'm listing them here for general interest since many of the designers have said they plan to keep working on the games.

Withdrawn Entries

Busy Town by Douglas Rees
Entry Thread
Busy Town is a pick-up and deliver game using a modular board. Each tile has a section of road, and along the road, players can place locations such as shops, farms, event halls and the like. The tiles are sized so that players can use matchbox cars as pawns (and will hopefully make a fun play set outside the game).

Factoree by George Buss
Entry Thread
The orders are coming in from the latest *iPREPAID* projects and the Factoree is tasked to fill them. Players use the parts they have to create the final products before shipping them out. The game uses the math concept of "Factoring" or breaking a number apart to express it as the product of its factors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reserved
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reserved
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gray
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
WIP:Friendly Farmers

Age Category: early elementary
Type: worker placement
Players: 2-4
Time: aiming for 30 mins tops

Components:
2 score tokens per player
3 storage tokens per player
3 meeples/worker tokens per player
7 beermat sized tiles per player
1 beermat sized market tile
1 deck of action/event cards (currently about 30)

Categories: Elementary School, Strategy.

Status - Components Ready - please give it a go and let me know what you think.

Files link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-R4ltmn91a2LXZrR2tDWEs5a2...

A simple worker placement game where players give their farm workers jobs each turn, and either grow harvest or sell crops as a result. Each turn players draw a card to determine weather, and market prices for crops, they then deploy their farm hands to best effect planting growing and harvesting their different crops for sale in the market. the first to gain 50 points wins.

Friendly farmers has had some significant changes since first becoming available and the new files incorporate these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Perry
United States
Newtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed! I have a 5 year old , and he loves games, but most of the games we play are things like Candyland... He does like Uno, though, so there is some hope. I am in interested to see what people come up with that might be something I can play with him!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gray
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkP1981 wrote:
Subscribed! I have a 5 year old , and he loves games, but most of the games we play are things like Candyland... He does like Uno, though, so there is some hope. I am in interested to see what people come up with that might be something I can play with him!

Try him with Ladybug Lunch, Its a really great PnP rummy variant. I made it with my daughter when she was about 4 and she loved it. Its really easy to get the hang of, especially if Uno is already being played.

Its been about a few years (it used to be the Gaston Game) and did well in a PnP competition when it was created. Its the sort of thing that would still do well in this competition now (thankfully it cant enter so we stand a chance). Its concept of being an accessible variation of rummy helped inspire my entry in last year's run of this competition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello

KIKA
An abstract puzzle game for 2-4 players with variable rules.

Thank you for visiting the WIP THREAD.

Summary: Choose a tile, place a tile, get points for the colors you match. The game comes with a comprehensive set of double sided rule cards. Choose which rule cards to use (and which side to use) for added strategic complexity or ease of play and luck. Mix different combinations of rules to suit your players... and to discover your gaming DNA - with over 1.6 million variations.

Components:
64 diamond shape tiles
48 scoring tiles
14 rule cards
4 score cards
1 short rule sheet
1 board (optional)

Players: 2-4
Playing Time: 5-20 min

Categories: TBD. Possibly: Matching/Pattern Recognition, or Strategy Game.
Files: TBA

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Perry
United States
Newtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will check out Ladybug Lunch! Thanks for the tip. We have also been playing Outfoxed and Hisss, which he likes. One is a simple deduction co-op, and the other is a simple tile-laying game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.