Hide
3 Posts

Run, Fight, or Die! Expansion Pack 3» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Game too short? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Boyd
msg tools
Last night my group had our first playthrough of this game. To repeat what everyone else has said, this game has excellent theme, high quality components, and a great sense of humor. That said, I think we are doing something wrong either strategy or mechanics wise.

We played two games with the co-op expansion. In both cases, the game ended when a player ended up with a massive horde of zombies in their zone 1 that forced them to either roll 3 books, or end the game. This happened around the 20 minute mark in a three player game.

As we got to thinking about it, we realized that there was almost no way to stay caught up. Between the event die or zombie rolls, we were adding about 5 zombies per turn to our board. Thus, in order to not be overwhelmed, we needed to kill at least that many zombies per turn. This leaves almost no dice for getting loot, etc.

My question is what are we missing? It seems like no matter what you do, in a few turns the zombies will overwhelm the players. Are we not doing something we should with regards to strategy? I watched Tom Vasel's playthrough, and we are playing all the rules right, so I'm somewhat confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are probably forgetting about the ability to draw a card instead to allow the re-roll of a zombie roll face for one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gimlithepirate wrote:
As we got to thinking about it, we realized that there was almost no way to stay caught up.

I view it as a race. You need to get those objectives complete before the hordes overtake you. Unlike other co-ops that have a timer, in this case, the increasing size of the horde *is* the timer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.