$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 88.48

5,794 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
36.5% of Goal | 26 Days Left

Support:

James Johnson
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Lucky for him (and me) the result is AWESOME!

I left my copy of Merchants & Marauders at my new friend jimzik's house two weeks ago so he could play it with another of his friends.

The Fiend
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb


The plastic ships that come with the game are nice, but are the glaring primary colors we are all used to getting in board games.

Photo of Stock ships.

Last night I went over and he told me there was an incident involving my game and that he would buy me a new copy if necessary. Then he leads me to

This scene.

He had custom painted ALL of my ships! I didn't want to ask how many hours he put into this. I guess many of you BGG folks already know Jim better than I do, but just in case you don't... He is an EXTREMELY generous person and I'm so happy I've met him!

Thank you Jim! Also thanks to BGG for supplying the database that led me to him only about a 1/2 mile from my house in the Cleveland suburbs.
76 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
Aw, that's so nice
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
I like that he offered to replace the game for you too! Very considerate friend.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They look great! I would love to paint my ships. Maybe someday!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A. Those are awesome paint jobs on those ships!

B. I'm pleased to see one of BGG's earliest geeks getting some attention! Jimzik is a member from way back and it's nice to see his avatar again!

C. You are lucky to have Jimzik as a gamer friend!
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jjpuzzles wrote:

Lucky for him (and me) the result is AWESOME!

I left my copy of Merchants & Marauders at my new friend jimzik's house two weeks ago so he could play it with another of his friends.

The Fiend
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb


The plastic ships that come with the game are nice, but are the glaring primary colors we are all used to getting in board games.

Photo of Stock ships.

Last night I went over and he told me there was an incident involving my game and that he would buy me a new copy if necessary. Then he leads me to

This scene.

He had custom painted ALL of my ships! I didn't want to ask how many hours he put into this. I guess many of you BGG folks already know Jim better than I do, but just in case you don't... He is an EXTREMELY generous person and I'm so happy I've met him!

Thank you Jim! Also thanks to BGG for supplying the database that led me to him only about a 1/2 mile from my house in the Cleveland suburbs.
So...


...what are you going to do with the other copy?

Pete (can't turn off the lawyer sometimes)
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
wow HRC 'rigged elections & sails' of 'Sloops' since because ALSO: "stupidhead reasons"; yet, "Avocado Goggles" "envisions" 'Mermaids' at least! googoo
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What a nice thing to do. Looks awesome too!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have any other games with minis? Maybe you should have him borrow those, too.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fiend
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Do you have any other games with minis? Maybe you should have him borrow those, too.


LOL! I would have to like the game a lot. Before painting the ships I made a few rules changes on victory conditions that felt "off" to me and were otherwise spoiling a great game.

1) Galleons have a Maneuverability of ONE, not 2. This was borrowed from an official FAQ but regarding a different variant. I thought it fit the theme perfectly, buy a big impressive ship and get a Glory Point (none for buying a Frigate now) but are a bloated, floating Prize.

2) Burying 10 Gold for 1 Glory was waaaay too easy and actually prevents players from upgrading ships as you can easily win with a Flute. NOW you must bury 50 Gold for 1 surprise Glory Point as many times as you like.

3) Selling 3 Demand Goods was also too easy so I increased it to 4. If you're a wanna-be Pirate it's now important to upgrade to a Frigate fast and find the extra Cargo Hold token.

These simple changes immediately made the game much more interesting and re-playable. I also made Captains from every variant I could find and we have a really big selection now. We choose by drawing 2 and keeping 1. With 2 players we were still able to complete 3 games before time ran out which brings me to the last change we haven't used yet = when you are out of Event Cards then take all the discards and cards UNDER the NPC top cards and re-shuffle. If you run out again before you reach 30 the game just ends.

Thanks to James for this post and for coming over every week.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great paintwork there, makes the game look a million times better.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hocker
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
That is awesome.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victorius Deplorable
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
wow HRC 'rigged elections & sails' of 'Sloops' since because ALSO: "stupidhead reasons"; yet, "Avocado Goggles" "envisions" 'Mermaids' at least! googoo


soblue
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
recon28501 wrote:
GROGnads wrote:
wow HRC 'rigged elections & sails' of 'Sloops' since because ALSO: "stupidhead reasons"; yet, "Avocado Goggles" "envisions" 'Mermaids' at least! googoo


soblue



Don't feel bad, nobody understand it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victorius Deplorable
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rastak wrote:
recon28501 wrote:
GROGnads wrote:
wow HRC 'rigged elections & sails' of 'Sloops' since because ALSO: "stupidhead reasons"; yet, "Avocado Goggles" "envisions" 'Mermaids' at least! googoo


soblue



Don't feel bad, nobody understand it.


Just annoyed. That's all.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.