Habitats» Forums » Rules

Subject: What is "orthogonally adjacent"? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wiebke Timm
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you have an animal (A) that needs 3 of a type (lets say water (W)), which of these would content the animal?

W A W W

W W A
W

W W W A

W
W A W

W A W (with A itself being a water tile)

The rules say that the tiles must be "orthogonally ajacent", But not if they have to form a single area. There is only a single example and it shows both neccessary tilesin a single area. And if it must be a single area, would the animal itself interrupt that area even if it is of the same type?

We played it thus that 2 and 3 are ok, but 1, 4, and 5 were not, no matter what area type A is itself, but we had a long discussion about it. In all configurations, there are enough water tiles orthogonally adjacent to the animal.

Could someone clarify?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Kelley
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
2 and 3.

Orthogonally adjacent is next to each other vertically or horizontally, but not diagonally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
While the rules could be clearer here, this from one of the examples shows that the tiles of a given type do NOT need to be in one area:

Quote:
The impala doesn't have 3 grassland tiles in 1 or more adjacent areas yet, so its victory points are currently upside down.

Given that I would say 1-4 are all correct. 5 is definitely incorrect since the animal's own tile never counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandra Dageroth
Germany
Steinhagen
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tool wrote:
While the rules could be clearer here, this from one of the examples shows that the tiles of a given type do NOT need to be in one area:

Quote:
The impala doesn't have 3 grassland tiles in 1 or more adjacent areas yet, so its victory points are currently upside down.

Given that I would say 1-4 are all correct. 5 is definitely incorrect since the animal's own tile never counts.

I agree and that is also the way we played it - and how you can see it in some other example pictures. 5 does not content the animal, but 1-4 do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corné van Moorsel
Netherlands
Maastricht
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The habitats in 1-2-3-4 are right, in '5' wrong.

Rules text:
Quote:
You score the number on an animal tile if its required landscape tiles are present in (orthogonally) adjacent areas.

The word 'Areas' (plural) is used. Which can refer to different types of land too, but the rules don't exclude requirements to be in different areas, so different areas is okay. Thematically I think that is the most intuitive, that's a reason to not emphesize it more in the rules. In the example text at the picture at the animal score rules it is emphesized:
Quote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Taylor
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think it's not very clear at all in the rulebook. From what I can tell, you check the 4 orthogonally adjacent spaces to the animal, plus the rest of the enclosures that those four tiles are part of.

So 1 to 4 are all ok, but 5 isn't as you never count the tile itself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mike3838 wrote:
From what I can tell, you check the 4 orthogonally adjacent spaces to the animal, plus the rest of the enclosures that those four tiles are part of.

The wording in the rules is about more than just the four immediate spaces that surround the tile, as I have highlighted below (the bold is already so in the rules).

Quote:
You score the number on an animal tile if its required landscape tiles are present in (orthogonally) adjacent areas.

This is supplemented by the Salamander example just to the right, which shows a yellow outline surrounding a pair of grassland tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, examples in the rulebook made it super clear to me how animals score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Cole
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is not clear to the casual first-time player so let's parse this out a little more. We're talking about the spatial relationship of tiles related to each other orthogonally, meaning they are adjacent to each other horizontally and vertically, but not diagonally.

Adjacent refers to two circumstances. First, in all scenarios, at least one required land type must be orthogonally adjacent to the animal. Second, in order for land types that are not adjacent to the animal to count toward the animal's requirement, those land types must be adjacent to another requirement-fulfilling tile of that same land type that is adjacent to the animal.

If examples one through four are correct, adjacent refers to (1) any tiles adjacent to the scoring animal and (2) requirement-fulfilling tiles that are adjacent to each other of that same type in which at least one is adjacent to the animal. Here, areas, plural, refers to examples one and four in which the same type of tiles are separated by the animal, therefore creating two "adjacent areas."

Edit: I see that same type is irrelevant. So, given this, I suppose the following could score for an animal that, for example, requires 2 Water and 1 Grassland:

W
A W G

Intuitively, this makes sense if you visualize the group of required tiles (not just the one animal tile) as the environment in which the animal will roam. The impala, for example, needs lots of grassland to graze. The kingfisher needs a body of water to hunt for fish. At first, I conceptualized each tile as an enclosure such as found at a traditional zoo. Thinking about it that way threw me off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.