Subject: Help me decide what to keep and what to sell rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anna F.
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have a lot of unplayed and less-than-well-loved games in my collection but I can't decide what to keep and what to sell.

Give me your opinions, why I may or may not follow.

221B Baker Street: The Master Detective Game - I thrifted this one, it's in mint condition. Never played. My game group wanted to play it but it's just too long.

Apples to Apples - this version is so old that Barack Obama didn't exist back then. It was a big thing back when I was in undergrad but hasn't been played much since.

City of Iron: Second Edition, Dark Moon, Panamax - these three were sent to me by accident when I ordered a bunch of games from Target. They look interesting (except maybe Panamax) but I don't really have anyone that I can play them with.

Cleopatra and the Society of Architects - I bought this because it was out of print. I've had game groups want to play it but it just seems way too fiddly.

Fresco - a clearance bin grab. Never played.

In a Pickle, Snap: The Interlocking Dragon-Making Game - thrifted; played a few times but the rules are kind of broken.

Wasabi! - this one is ok but I kind of want Sushi Go Party instead. Plus it seems to be out of print?

Wiz-War (eighth edition) - another meh game that I don't really have people to play with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sell everything except Fresco and Apples to Apples. Fresco because it is neat, and Apples to Apples because no one will buy it from you, it's a party game, and do you really need a newer copy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. My opinion on Fresco is a bit different than the above. I found it quit repetitive after a couple of plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What sort of games do you like?

I thought Fresco was too simple (when played with expansions 1-3... I think those are the ones that come in the box?) and wouldn't keep it.

I've played City Of Iron (first edition though) and liked it. We didn't really understand the strategy at all until halfway through, and now it's been long enough that we'd have to relearn the whole game. Maybe not a keeper, if you're looking for things to sell and you don't expect to have a group you can replay it with. But it seemed fun, so I'm not personally going to take my own advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna F.
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmb
grasa_total wrote:
What sort of games do you like?

I thought Fresco was too simple (when played with expansions 1-3... I think those are the ones that come in the box?) and wouldn't keep it.

I've played City Of Iron (first edition though) and liked it. We didn't really understand the strategy at all until halfway through, and now it's been long enough that we'd have to relearn the whole game. Maybe not a keeper, if you're looking for things to sell and you don't expect to have a group you can replay it with. But it seemed fun, so I'm not personally going to take my own advice.

These would all probably seem like games I would like, which was why I bought them, but I just haven't played them.

I like thematic games, silly games, Gamewright games, Days of Wonder games, gateway games, and some classic games. I keep a lot of party games and Ameritrash around just because they get a lot of play due to the people I usually play with.

I really want to play Dark Moon with someone but that's probably not happening. Is it legit to keep a game on the off chance you might play it someday?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Hmmm. My opinion on Fresco is a bit different than the above. I found it quit repetitive after a couple of plays.

Ditto here. Didn't stay long on my shelf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
snapdragon23 wrote:

I really want to play Dark Moon with someone but that's probably not happening. Is it legit to keep a game on the off chance you might play it someday?

If you really want to play it, keep it. If your groups like Ameritrash and party games, Dark Moon has a good chance of being a nice fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
Get rid of all of 'em. Nothing great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd sell everything except Wasabi and Apples to Apples.

Keep Wasabi. Burn Apples to Apples because that game sucks balls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna F.
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmb
JJRR_Esq wrote:
I'd sell everything except Wasabi and Apples to Apples.

Keep Wasabi. Burn Apples to Apples because that game sucks balls.

Ermagerd your babies are so cute!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I have City of Iron (First Edition, though), Panamax, Fresco (Bog Box), and Wasabi and I enjoy all of them. Panamax and Fresco are the best of these four. Wasabi is the lightest if you're looking for something with a brief, straightforward rule set. I wouldn't want to get rid of any of these games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep fresco. It's fun, even if simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik G
Netherlands
Waalre
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only know Fresco. It is a medium worker placement game. Assuming that the list of games you own is complete, I would keep it. I think it is a bit longer and more complex than the average game on your list, so in that sense it makes your collection a bit broader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schlueter
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
If your group tends toward ameritrash then I am surprised Wiz War is not a bigger hit. It's cut throat spell casting goodness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.