4 Posts

Techno Bowl: Arcade Football Unplugged» Forums » General

Subject: Game against a noob rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
General Kale
Canada
flag msg tools
Tonight, I played one half against a friend of mine who'd never heard of the game. I explained the basics to him, and I started on offence. First play, he sacks me for a 15 yard loss. Second play, I try a running play and he stuffs me after a gain of just 10 yards. Third play, I throw a pick-six. Fourth play, I throw another interception. Last play of the half, he runs 50 yards for a TD.

10/10 would get my ass kicked again by a dude who has no idea what he's doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
On the bright side, it sounds like he had a great time and should be excited to beat play you again!

On a serious note, I've noticed that fans of football pick up on the game very quickly, find the play calling intuitive, and make much better reads than they should. Also, I'm sure that you learned some things about both of your play calling tendencies that will allow you to make adjustments for the next time that you meet.

Still pretty fun though- right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Kale
Canada
flag msg tools
Oh it was super-fun! And to be clear, it was all about me rolling horribly, the first two plays I rolled failures on +3 blocks, which handed him easy tackles, and the interceptions were a combination of me being aggressive to try and tie the game, and more awful rolls at critical times. One of the things I like the most about this game is that the core concepts are so easy for new players to grasp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
General Kale wrote:
... and the interceptions were a combination of me being aggressive to try and tie the game, and more awful rolls at critical times.

That's something that I personally find cool about the gameplay experience, but it's hard to quantify for people until they've actually played. You get a couple of bad rolls when you shouldn't, your opponent capitalizes, and it makes you feel this sense of urgency to score that can cause you to attempt dangerous passes, take other risks, or completely abandon your game plan even if you have plenty of time left. Being disciplined or taking the risk can both payoff in that situation, but it's the feeling that you have adds to the immersion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.