23 Posts

Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » General

Subject: Do you think they'll ever expand the game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raegan Ray-gun
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Just to be clear, I think the game is great as is.

However there's something great about how much it spoils you with all the goodies and such. Now I've had this I want more! More co-op preferably. So what do you guys think? Do you think Riot will add more to the game somehow? Or would you at least like more content for this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Grenier
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we will see fan-based missions for sure. I would also like to see new mechs coming with their own missions but that's unlikely to happen according to their interviews.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raegan Ray-gun
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ThunderingGiraffe wrote:
I think we will see fan-based missions for sure. I would also like to see new mechs coming with their own missions but that's unlikely to happen according to their interviews.

Why, what'd they say in interviews?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Gabriel
msg tools
They said in AMAs, etc. that there are "no current plans" for expansions or further board game releases, but if they have ideas that they just have to build and the interest is there they'd consider it. To speculate a little, "no plans" at time of release likely means it won't happen, as development of a significant expansion would take time and the game may no longer carry enough enthusiasm and interest to be worth producing an add-on.

Remember that Riot isn't a board game company and this was rather a passion project, so they're not dedicating creative energy to board games on a consistent basis. If they were, an expansion would be more likely because they always need more outlets for that creative talent and the teams involved. However, the permanent Riot employees who worked on MvM all have other work to keep them busy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for saying this - every time I see a thread about people looking for expansions, or more games from them, I start looking at the logistics... How many total man-hours, billable to Riot, did this game take away from further development / QA from their main income generating stream? Those people are typically video game developers, managers, testing, sakes/marketing, or other people along the process, many of which have salaries matching their video game position. The cost for time to develop, taking away from other projects, has a definite cost - people don't work for free, and it's not like they'll recoup the money from profit on sales (look at the price point vs contrnt, they definitely have a small profit margin).

I'd be very curious what the final cost is for development / testing / distribution, manufacturing, and sales volumes - or, in what might actually be revealed, at what sales volume do they start to go in the black for this project?

That number will be key for whether they devote more resources into this line of product, or whether they would / should show interest in expanding. Passion project or not, if you cost the company money, it's hard to get further approval. If you can turn a profit, you might be allowed to do another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this was definitely just a labor of love, which unfortunately probably reduces the odds of this turning into a regular thing for them.

Riot's 2015 revenue was about 1.6 Billion dollars. The revenue from selling 30,000 copies of MvM doesn't even equal 2 tenths of 1 percent of their League of Legends revenue. It didn't even move the needle. Financially, they'd have been better off just offering a new champion skin for in-game purchase in League of Legends -- especially once you factor in the time and labor they've sunk into MvM.

But hopefully they had enough creative fun designing the game that they'll continue the labor of love, even if it doesn't make a whole lot of financial sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is the sky blue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Scothern
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevepop wrote:
Is the sky blue?

(Looks out of window in Glasgow) No, its grey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick Ernst
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I sure would like more content!

Come on Riot! Bring on expansions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Morales
United States
New York
flag msg tools
It doesnt matter to me I'll be making my own expansions. after I'm done painting my mechs I'm planning on doing a whole new set of schematic cards along with Mechs in this order:

Teemo,Rumble,Veigar,Amummu.

I'll be sculpting my own mechs and doing the schematics professionally using Makeplaying cards.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Mrdabba wrote:
It doesnt matter to me I'll be making my own expansions. after I'm done painting my mechs I'm planning on doing a whole new set of schematic cards along with Mechs in this order:

Teemo,Rumble,Veigar,Amummu.

I'll be sculpting my own mechs and doing the schematics professionally using Makeplaying cards.com

That sounds sweet! Love to hear what you learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrPiddlesworth wrote:
I sure would like more content!

Come on Riot! Bring on expansions!

OMG, expansions confirmed!

Serious note: please do hear our pleas for (at least) more missions. Digital product like Descent's Road to Legend is great, if Riot does not want to stick their fingers on (another) international distribution drama

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see a new enemy type, more mech improvements, maybe a fifth type of command card that effects adjacent command cards...

But mostly just more missions. A combo of fan-created contest winners and designer content would be cool.

As far as new characters/mechs go, I thought (hoped?) the back of the intro letter that comes in the box might be a teaser..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure they would go for an expansion. If anything, they could try another boardgame in a year or so, but that seems unlikely at this point.

They can definitely walk the aisle of successful cornerstone boardgames released with no shame whatsoever. That's a huge achievement on its own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robyn Z
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
how about instead of an expansion.
Players Riot games come up with new scenarios to utilize what components we already have?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another possibility would be a stand alone game, kind of a season 2 which would be completely compatible with the first one.

This way, you keep the previous fans, make them happy by adding some new but compatible material and try to enlarge your audience.

While you are there: translate the game too + offer a real solo mode (full disclosure: my 2 personal wishes) and there you go.

Probably not as easy as it sounds but could be a start for a debate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree I'm sure Riot isn't in the business to make an expansion to make money, but they didn't make this game to make money

Hopefully they get another inspiration of passion and expand this great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Ruppelt
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They do refer to it as Wave 1, so that is somewhat suggestive of future expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the wave here is about the new printing + shipping phases of the original game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
baylock wrote:
I believe the wave here is about the new printing + shipping phases of the original game.

This is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Ruppelt
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Riot Kades wrote:
baylock wrote:

This is correct.

The Riot website reads "Wave 1-Shipment #2". So doesn't that that imply the second shipment of Wave #1"? Of course I could be wrong, but doesn't that suggest that Wave #1 is not a shipment but #1 in a potential series of Waves? Perhaps I'm living in a fools paradise, but I'm going to keep my hopes up for an expansion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't bother...
It seems that Chris Cantrell here above is part of the team so, if he says it's correct, you can take it for granted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aiko van Wingerden
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
I would imagine a Kled expansion, where Kled just refuses to get into a mech and just rides Skarl instead. Not sure if that would be over or underpowered though XD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.