Subject: Questions on Gandalf and Healing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A couple of questions from the game we just had:

1) Gandalf the Grey is in the Fellowship. FP spends an event die to Play a card which separates some companions. He separates Gandalf. Does Gandalf's special rule let him draw another event card before he leaves, or does Gandalf's absence happen first? We played that he could draw the card.

2) The Fellowship is uncorrupted and is several spaces on the movement track. The Balrog of Moria card is in play. The Fellowship declares in Lorien, moving through Moria. SP draws a 2 tile and the FSP takes 2 corruption. Can the FSP now heal 1 corruption? Thematically the damage happened in Moria, before they reached Lorien, so I'd have thought they could heal. However if healing is immediate upon declaring, would they get it?
Same in reverse, if the FSP is on 11 corruption and declares in Lorien, do they get to heal before the SP gets to draw tiles?
Presumably only one of these cases is allowed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Patriarchxyz wrote:
1) Gandalf the Grey is in the Fellowship. FP spends an event die to Play a card which separates some companions. He separates Gandalf. Does Gandalf's special rule let him draw another event card before he leaves, or does Gandalf's absence happen first? We played that he could draw the card.

My understanding is that he still gets to draw a card, however the first card is fully resolved first. So you cannot decide who to separate based on the second card drawn (for example if you were only going to separate Gandalf, but then draw a card requiring Boromir to be in Gondor, you cannot then decide he will separate as well).

That's my understanding, and the best support I can find it this thread by Kevin Chapman: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/17729611#17729611

He doesn't seem 100% sure here, so maybe he will chime in and confirm it 100% here? But hopefully that's enough to help you until he does.

Quote:
2) The Fellowship is uncorrupted and is several spaces on the movement track. The Balrog of Moria card is in play. The Fellowship declares in Lorien, moving through Moria. SP draws a 2 tile and the FSP takes 2 corruption. Can the FSP now heal 1 corruption? Thematically the damage happened in Moria, before they reached Lorien, so I'd have thought they could heal. However if healing is immediate upon declaring, would they get it?
Same in reverse, if the FSP is on 11 corruption and declares in Lorien, do they get to heal before the SP gets to draw tiles?
Presumably only one of these cases is allowed...

Again, my understanding is that the declaration will be completed first, and then the card will resolve. The Balrog card does say 'has been declared' in the final paragraph suggesting the declaration already occurred.

Thematically this is a bit odd (it seems the Balrog caught them after they arrived in Lorien?!) but I think it's how the rules would handle it, because the card can only be played after the FS declares. Otherwise, they haven't declared yet but are 'going to declare' and it seems a bit self-contradictory.

So in the first instance the FS cannot heal, but in the second case they will survive (though if they have 11 corruption declaring in Lorien they are in some pretty serious trouble and better hope things are going well militarily!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
The only extra justification I have for the Balrog rule is that the Minion card in Lords of Middle Earth states:

'If the Fellowship was declared....'.

It's a different card of course, but I believe this is intended to be exactly the same effect but with minor revision for clarifications. And with that card, it seems clear the tile is drawn after the declaration.

Sorry I don't have better evidence; hopefully Kevin or another rules guru can clear this one up as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orion3T wrote:
He doesn't seem 100% sure here, so maybe he will chime in and confirm it 100% here?

Confirmed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the timing of declaration and Hunt tile draws, sometimes the results can be a bit unthematic. However, in many cases it would be too awkward to try to sequence the events in a "chronological" fashion, so we let the game mechanics determine the sequence of events for clarity and ease of resolution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. Clears both of those up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.