Subject: Only one way to gain the most VP? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Hoang
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
While initially I had fun playing this game with my wife, there seem to be only one way to gain the most VP: by racing to build the most trade posts, collecting the most citizens and advancing on the Development track. Gathering up Goods is secondary, but because we're racing to do the same thing, we try to gather as many as we can.

At this point, every game is the same to us and it just seems like a race. And who ever has the better random draw, usually wins the game.

My wife and I love the mechanics of this game, but the ONE AND ONLY ONE strategy keeps me from playing it.

Does the expansion address this issue? Is there another strategy we have yet to discover in the base game?

I want to keep playing this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are buildings, there is the choice of when to go for more followers to draw from your bag, the underestimated boatmen...

Nah, there's enough to it to keep me entertained for dozens more plays. Even without the teo expansions...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There's already several threads about this topic.

You can neglect the trading post to some extend. I've seen people win with over 150 points (4p-game) with just 4 trading posts at the end.
On the developement track you seem to need to get to level 4 at least.

I think it makes some sense that you cannot completely ingnore both asoects. On the one hand, without any travelling at all, the interaction would fall to a minimum. Secondly, it makes sense thematically, that your tribe cannot win without any developement.

Other things which seems mandatory, is to get some knights early and some tech wheels.

If you don't like that, get some of the bonus tiles (especially new locations No 1 and the depot promo).
They allow some other strategies like focussing mainly on goods.
Both expansions weaken the development track and the tech wheels and strengthen going for goods.
(They cannot be played together, you'll need only one of them. If you just wanna play normal games and are not so much interested in special solo, 2p and co-op scenarios, the 2nd expansion is the one you should get).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Gloucester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can win with goods and coins. The building that produces brocade will net you a ton of points if you build it early - 5 points every turn for 1 grey guy is very efficient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Treebeard
United States
Joshua
Texas
flag msg tools
I Design Broken Token Game Inserts
badge
I Design Broken Token Game Inserts
mbmbmbmbmb
It is my understanding that the first expansion add a cooperative version of the game, as well as new tiles and other different ways to play. There is also a second expansion that just came out at Essen.

I have read about a variation where when you build a building you only draw the top three tiles. That may help your experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You can definitely win with goods and coins.

Particularly if you use movement to pick up top-end goods, denying them to the people who are trying to build trade stations. Trade stations require you to build up stars, move, and place stations, to get 5 or 6 points per station. If you are taking single actions that gain you 4 or 5 points, you are netting more on average. Someone who doesn't care about dropping stations can easily strip out the good goods before a Trade Station strategy gets going.

This becomes even better if you pick up good buildings, like the brocade building or the one that gets you points for sets of goods.

Also, any time someone points at luck-of-the draw for most of their victories or losses in this game, to me that means they're not managing their bag well.

The expansion has a couple of good scenarios that change the way things feel- the co-op scenario in particular might work well for y'all, but also the one with the set event track and goals for building on connections (it puts pressure on you with the events, and provides essentially an alternate method for gaining points by expending trade stations).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen someone win who never advanced on the development rack. I'm not sure he built any trading posts either. He did move around to grab goods, but mostly used the two coin buildings.

I'm not saying he would have won versus competent opponents, but there you are.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rockpaper Scissors
United States
flag msg tools
I agree; this is a huge issue for this game. Perhaps the second expansion helps with the balance -- just giving players more of a reason to travel on the map would help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rockpaper wrote:
I agree; this is a huge issue for this game. Perhaps the second expansion helps with the balance -- just giving players more of a reason to travel on the map would help.

I disagree. I had the same suspicion and just decided to try a strategy that focused heavily on moving around the board, producing goods, and straight up gold generation.

It worked exceptionally well. It was a 3 player game, I built 0 trading stations, had 4 citizens, and a development rating of 4. I had something like 70 points in gold coins and over 100 in goods. I had more points than both of my opponents summed up.

So, not only is this a viable strategy, it's also fun and offers some variability in how it plays out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nándor Gáspár
Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting topic.
Speaking about the base game only my strategy is biased towards money hoarding and balancing the development track / trade posts and citizens.

My favorite place tiles are:
- Windmill
- Cellar / Office / Hospital
- Laboratory

I prefer to get rid of my workers and reaching a state where I draw the same 8 workers doing very efficient actions during the endgame.

My best score was 231 points with this strategy in a 2 player game having 120+ coins. (I was also lucky that certain money-giving events showed up during the last turns)

I also like to play with the variant that removes 4 place tiles before the game start (chosen by players or simply drawing them randomly). This forces to try out new strategies.

In my last game I tried to go for goods (especially for Wool, because the brocade pile was low) It was OK but I felt the the money hoarding strategy could end up with potentially more points, since Office and Hospital can give you 4+ points every turn.
Also there are no events which punish your money, but there are events punishing your goods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.