Hide
4 Posts

Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Petrificus Totalus and Non-Triggering Abilities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moo Cow
msg tools
Let's say you've got a villain with an ability that doesn't really trigger, but is always active (for instance, Barty Crouch Jr.), does Petrificus Totalis deactivate his ability?

I'm playing with the assumption that it does - that the card was designed to disable a villain.

But with the wording, it's not exactly clear since Barty doesn't really trigger, it's just always active.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Calungsod
msg tools
We've always played it as it applies. At the end of the day, it is still Barty's "ability", which we assumed to be "triggered" all the time.

We questioned this when we first started playing but came to the conclusion that they wouldn't make a spell that a select few villains would be 'immune' to.

Maybe an official ruling would be best to clarify, but until then, our group considers it to disable any villain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moo Cow wrote:
Let's say you've got a villain with an ability that doesn't really trigger, but is always active (for instance, Barty Crouch Jr.), does Petrificus Totalis deactivate his ability?

I'm playing with the assumption that it does - that the card was designed to disable a villain.

But with the wording, it's not exactly clear since Barty doesn't really trigger, it's just always active.

Pending any clarification from Andrew, I would agree with you. The intent of the spell is shut down the villain. Using different verbiage, Barty's "trigger" is that if a hero would remove a control token, Barty prevents it. In this case, the trigger is not explicitly stated, but one is implied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wolf
United States
Carlsbad
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
davypi wrote:
Moo Cow wrote:

Pending any clarification from Andrew, I would agree with you. The intent of the spell is shut down the villain. Using different verbiage, Barty's "trigger" is that if a hero would remove a control token, Barty prevents it. In this case, the trigger is not explicitly stated, but one is implied.

Correct. If you use Petrificus Totalus on Barty, players CAN remove CONTROL tokens from the Location while he is 'petrified'.

Andrew Wolf
Game Designer - USAopoly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.