Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
I got an e-mail from eBay the other week.

Nothing particularly unusual about that. I get e-mails from eBay pretty much everyday: "You've been outbid," "That seller you like has listed something you didn't realise you needed until right now," "We know where you live," "We're coming for your soul."

But on this occasion, the e-mail was something rather unexpected: A £15 money-off voucher for any purchase over £30.

That's nice, but I couldn't really think of anything I wanted or needed.

After reading the e-mail, I returned to my latest game of Betrayal at Calth, and I moved my unit of Blood Angel terminators, repurposed from Space Hulk. You see, regular readers (if such mythic entities truly exist) may remember that when Betrayal at Calth came out last year, I really couldn't justify the £95 price tag, so I ended up purchasing only the cardboard components from a seller on eBay, and then proxying the miniatures.

Perhaps you can see where this article is going.

After moving my terminators, it was time to move a unit of chaos cultists from Assassinorum Execution Force.

As I rolled dice, I thought about that voucher from eBay. What could I possibly use it for?

Next, a unit of Imperial guard models moved into position, trying their best (and failing miserably) to look like a unit of space marines.

Then it hit me... It's my wife's birthday in November. I could use the eBay voucher to get her something!

No, no. That's a silly idea.

Now it was time for the Sorceror Lord Drask from Assassinorum Execution Force to do his best impression of a contemptor dreadnought.

And that was when the lightbulb went on.

Christmas is coming!

No, no. Not that. But I could put the voucher towards buying a full copy of Betrayal at Calth, so I could finally get a good look at the miniatures that everyone went gooey for last year.

I searched eBay, found a shop selling a brand new copy with free shipping for £70, applied the discount voucher, and waited, feeling very smug that I managed to snag a complete copy of this excellent game for just £55.

The other day, the box turned up; and I have to admit, I'm a little intimidated.

The model kits for this game are exceptionally beautiful. They are also exceptionally detailed.

I have been building and painting miniatures for years, and I'm not sure I even know where to start. The box is packed to the brim, and... well... here's a picture:

And it doesn't help that, at around the same time, this little thing turned up on my doorstep...

Burning of Prospero is in a slightly deeper box than Betrayal at Calth, and it has even more plastic kits. Even more detailed plastic kits... And now my head hurts.

All told, I now have 60 marines, 10 terminators, four heroes, five sisters of silence, five custodes, and a contemptor dreadnought to build.

And have I ever mentioned that, while I enjoy painting, assembling miniatures isn't something I particularly care for?

I'm really not looking forward to ploughing through this lot. I know it's going to be worth it in the end. But sometimes I really regret being a fan of Games Workshop. That's even before I consider the amount of shelf space the boxes take up...

And Games Workshop have confirmed the release of Blood Bowl for December. I better get gluing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Fish
United States
chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am behind with all these GW releases as well, although Calth is completely painted, Prospero is on the way. It is worth it (and easy) to magnetize the weapon arm for the dreadnought, think about that before you do final assembly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fiveangels wrote:
I am behind with all these GW releases as well, although Calth is completely painted, Prospero is on the way. It is worth it (and easy) to magnetize the weapon arm for the dreadnought, think about that before you do final assembly

Yeah, magnetising is a pretty straightforward process, especially for something as bulky as the dread. Makes storage a bit easier too. I have (too many) years of experience with GW miniatures so I'm pretty good with the old glue; it's just not the part of the hobby I have ever really liked that much, and I still prefer the simpler models from stuff like Silver Tower rather than these more intricate, versatile kits. just because I like to get through it as quickly as possible.

Painting is a completely different matter though. Speaking of which, I really need to get into gear with painting.

Calth and Prospero got bumped up to the top of the paint queue, because the models look too similar without paint. Then I think I will be moving onto Gorechosen and working through Silver Tower. Space Hulk suffers for being coloured plastic, because it is perpetually at the bottom of the pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh, took me 3 months to get BaC completely painted shake . Not in the mood to add another grind with Prospero. Getting shakes just thinking about it. Luckily my old Blood Bowl stuff is mostly painted, don't need to invest in new stuff, save money and painting time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
Ugh, took me 3 months to get BaC completely painted shake . Not in the mood to add another grind with Prospero. Getting shakes just thinking about it. Luckily my old Blood Bowl stuff is mostly painted, don't need to invest in new stuff, save money and painting time.

On the plus side, after playing Calth for the best part of a year with proxies, at least I know it's worth the effort assembling the official miniatures.

I'll just cross my fingers for Prospero... It looks incredible (the miniatures are beautiful and the boards are illustrated by the same chap that did the Silver Tower boards), and the mechanisms seem good on paper, but until I get it to the table I won't know for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cutthroat Cardboard (Barry)
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ventured into a Warhammer (read GW) shop today and looked at the shiny new minis for Prospero and was the most tempted I've been with any of the new board games to splash the cash. Luckily I have the game without figures due to arrive from eBay in the next few days so I settled for a copy of the November White Dwarf and escaped with most of the contents of my wallet.

I do find this decision really difficult. The new board games have worked for me on many levels but one of the biggest bonuses has been that models which have sat unused for years now have a purpose. The models from Prospero are different enough that even more than Calth and Overkill the temptation is huge. For now I'm staying strong but I wish you luck in getting al the toys models built At least you can add them to your proxies as you build and paint them until you get a whole set done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James M Hewitt
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
the same chap that did the Silver Tower boards

The Calth boards, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Nemeth
Austria
Wien
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel your pain.

Calth - Finished
Silver Tower - 50% finished surprise
Overkill & Assasinorum - Only sprayed
Lost Patrol - Only assembled shake
Space Hulk - Not even glued cry

I think I have to change my decision to buy every damn GW miniatures game. I stopped at Gore Chosen and wanted to focus on 40K only from now on, but if the next Warhammer Quest looks as gorgeous as Silver Tower... I will buy it because i'm stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All I can say is, after Calth and Prospero, this is a blessed relief:

(Picture from BoLS)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan R
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
All I can say is, after Calth and Prospero, this is a blessed relief:

(Picture from BoLS)

F YEAH!!!

I went from "beakies" to nothing to Clan War to Reaper to Vedros to BoP... So, yeah. BoP will be a labor of... something.

Blood Bowl will be a labor of love.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.