Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Pflug
Germany
Schwäbisch Gmünd
Baden Würtemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!
This is a first look on the rules of Deep Madness by Diemension games.
This preview is based on the information that is currently available.

I read the beta rulebook in english and german, watched undead vikings review video, and read everything else Diemension Games postet on Kickstarter and Facebook.

I own and played many similar games: (Zombicide, Zombicide BP, Descent 1st and 2nd Edition, Doom, Imperial Assault, The Others...)

So here are my thoughts and first impressions on Deep Madness.

They didn't invent anything revolutionary with this game, but imo they took a lot of good mechanics from other games, and mixed them into something really nice.
Also they serve it with an amazing look and theme!

After saying this, I admit I adore the theme, and I love the awesome minis, but this "preview" is all about the rules and the gameplay mechanics.

Things I like:

-As the game progresses rooms get devoured or flooded, which changes things up all the time

Spoiler (click to reveal)
There is a mission board for each scenario.
On this board you will also find a devour track, which also serves as the game clock. The devour token will move every round, devouring new rooms, and triggering other effects.

Also there are monsters, that will devour rooms.

-Monsters have abilities which make them REALLY different from another. There is the cannibal, who eats other monsters to become stronger, the drifter, who does damage to your sanity, or the histerya, which doesn't attack, but possesses the player.....

-The basic rules like lone of sight and movement seem to be really easy to get into.

-madness and consciousness cards add a lot of fluff and tactical possibilities to the game

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Players can spend their sanity to activate special abilities. But by doing that, they risk getting madness tokens, which will make them draw madness cards, once they collect a few of them.
When an investigator kills a monster while he has his full sanity, he will be able to draw a consciousness card, that gives him positive effects. For each set of ten Conciousness cards the players accumulate, they can stop the devour track for one turn.

-alternate turn order makes for smaller downtime, and increases the tension

-you can buy time by closing hatches behind you, monsters have the ability to destroy doors

-the randomness of the dice rolls can be overcome by spending your sanity to errol dice. Very nice!

-no game master/overlord needed. full coop!

Things I don't like:

-the activation card mechanic seems fiddly and takes a lot of tablespace

-There are a lot of very different monsters (30+ at the moment), but only 6 different will appear in every game

-it's hard to say how good the game scales, but the devour track will run faster with fewer characters

-the symbols for the stats look all the same, and will be very confusing for new gamers

Im looking forward to the gameplay video, and i'd love to hear your opinions on gameplay mechanics! :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Was the English version coherent? The recent Conan fiasco is definitely making me hesitant to back this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
France
flag msg tools
mb
senorcoo wrote:
Was the English version coherent? The recent Conan fiasco is definitely making me hesitant to back this one.

They won't repeat that mistake. They have hired translating teams for the different languages of the rulebook, and they said these teams will help them correct and rewrite the bugs in the original english rulebook. It's like having 4 teams of proofreaders, you can't beat that meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kakuuuu wrote:
senorcoo wrote:

They won't repeat that mistake. They have hired translating teams for the different languages of the rulebook, and they said these teams will help them correct and rewrite the bugs in the original english rulebook. It's like having 4 teams of proofreaders, you can't beat that meeple

Five?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
France
flag msg tools
mb
Well, it's always better to let someone else proofread your own work with a fresh pair of eyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well yes and no. it's best to have people proof read that actually know and understand the game. to not only correct language issues but also gameplay ones (that happened through translation). this was one of the biggest issues with Conan. Not the translation (I mean the english in itself is correct) is the issue but missing parts of the rules. Someone with experience with the game would have spotted those instantly...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
France
flag msg tools
mb
I forgot to mention: the translator teams hired are also professional board gaming translators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goeshi
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Frozen Flesh wrote:
There are a lot of very different monsters (30+ at the moment), but only 6 different will appear in every game

Interesting. I took this to be a positive thing. It adds replay value by not just dumping everything on you at once. It also probably makes the board easier to manage considering how similar the enemies can look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QorDaq H'Nter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goeshi wrote:
Frozen Flesh wrote:
There are a lot of very different monsters (30+ at the moment), but only 6 different will appear in every game

Interesting. I took this to be a positive thing. It adds replay value by not just dumping everything on you at once. It also probably makes the board easier to manage considering how similar the enemies can look.

Agreed. Overall I tend to agree with the OP though I did not read the RB in any language other than English.

That said, I tend to feel as Goeshi does on the particular point of monster types; by limiting the number [of types] seen in a given session, it will declutter the board, allow players to focus on the particular traits of a smaller number of special abilities at any given time, and, potentially, offer a somewhat unique "mini theme" to a given mission.

Additionally, for those groups that like to fill in the narrative in RPG-lite crawlers, limiting the Creature types could enhance the back story of an individual game session.

Regardless, Frozen Flesh's thoughts on the game rules are concise and nicely thought out.

Thanks for posting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Bergenstråle
Sweden
Luleå
flag msg tools
mb
This will be my first game of this kind that I back (and hopefully own) so it is good to hear from someone a bit more involved that this isn't pure crap, so thanks a lot for this post Frozen flesh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pflug
Germany
Schwäbisch Gmünd
Baden Würtemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goeshi wrote:
Frozen Flesh wrote:

Keep in mind that this review is just my personal view on this game. Everyone has his own opinions, which is fine.

To help you understand my view on this: I own and play a lot of games, but each single game might only hit the table once a month, or once every two months.
And in that game I want as much variety as I can get. But I totally understand your view on this too. So thanks for sharing your opinion!

Also I want to thank everybody for your kind words!

I wanted to keep this review short, and fast to read through. But I think I should update the review, and get into more detail on some of the mechanics, and explain them to those, who don't know anything about this game.
What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
France
flag msg tools
mb
Frozen Flesh wrote:
Goeshi wrote:
Frozen Flesh wrote:

Keep in mind that this review is just my personal view on this game. Everyone has his own opinions, which is fine.

To help you understand my view on this: I own and play a lot of games, but each single game might only hit the table once a month, or once every two months.
And in that game I want as much variety as I can get. But I totally understand your view on this too. So thanks for sharing your opinion!

Also I want to thank everybody for your kind words!

I wanted to keep this review short, and fast to read through. But I think I should update the review, and get into more detail on some of the mechanics, and explain them to those, who don't know anything about this game.
What do you think?

I think you should upload a youtube video of your review, and give Undead Viking a kick in the nuts devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pflug
Germany
Schwäbisch Gmünd
Baden Würtemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot write or record a really good review without a physical copy of the game in my hands.

Maybe I should ask DG for a early review copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kakuuuu wrote:
I think you should upload a youtube video of your review, and give Undead Viking a kick in the nuts devil

I think that nut-kicking is frowned upon on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to play Deep Madness with 4 investigators minimum. That's how they handle the scaling issues. You can play 4-6. The rulebook even suggests that a 2 player game be with 3 investigators each player.

As far the turn order mechanism, it seems to me that if you are playing a 6 player game there may be some downtime because if I'm player six, I have to wait for 5 players to do their actions and activate 5 monsters before it is finally my turn.

Since I never play these games with that many people, mostly just solo or max 4 players it won't be that much of an issue I think. But based on reading the rulebook that was the first thing that jumped out to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
France
flag msg tools
mb
I agree, 6 players for a zombicide-like is kind of long, especially when not all 6 know the game well. When everybody knows what they are doing and can think fast, then you can do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pflug
Germany
Schwäbisch Gmünd
Baden Würtemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But 6 investigators will also make the game easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.