Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shawn Moore
United States
Riverton
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
After years of holding my nose up in the presence of block games (as every old school hex and counter war gamer should!) my son has decided we need to try this. As my sole opponent here in the populated state of WY one must take these suggestions seriously. Now hat I start looking at these games I'm ashamed to admit I am getting kind of excited and plan on ordering the 3 games later this afternoon.

Question...complexity. I am assuming complexity will fall somewhere be somewhere between Axis and Allies and World in Flames. That's quite a range however. The 14 y/o plays ASL, PG, Europa and WiF with me so I have no fear of him failing to grasp or being overwhelmed (we will always start in 39 with all of Europe) but we won't have the luxury of 20 play through's to grasp the mechanics vs tactics (OK strategies). Is this sufficiently complicated to hold our interest (A&A is not) while being simple enough that we're not relearning World in Flames?

Thank you
Shawn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
My recommendation, to be taking firmly with a grain of salt, is that when you receive the trifecta of gaming deliciousness, is to open up East front first, and play the Barbarosa scenario a few times.

Then, try one of the sea invasion scenarios from West front, and then dive into the whole hog.

By doing this, you'll learn all the important rules and how they work. Then you can bravely go on your conquest of Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lagerlow
Australia
Parramatta
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with 42 scenario in either east front or euro front. Barbarossa is the most challenging scenario in east front and the early scenarios in eurofront have a lot of complexity (more than eurofront 1).
Post-42 a lot of the special rules fade away and it mostly about the core war game rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
vonpaul wrote:
Barbarossa is the most challenging scenario in east front

It's so much fun, though, and (especially with the historical setup) it pretty much guarantees you'll get to see exiting breakthroughs & encirclements. I agree with Roger: start with EastFront; after a few plays (or maybe even the full campaign), switch to WestFront, which adds sea invasion stuff; after a few plays of that, move up to the whole enchilada.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Derp--forgot to add, the rulebook for these guys are on Columbia's site, so to get a feel for the complexity, you should definitely check them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not much else to be said after Roger and Rusty's replies. The way to go is definitely Eastfront -> Westfront -> Eurofront. I would start with Eastfront Barbarossa straight away, especially since you are a seasoned wargamer - it's a blast, but difficult as hell for the Germans!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Moore
United States
Riverton
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you Gentlemen. One question...complexity and special rules aside, does the 39 scenario provide a satisfying experience? As for learning the system I shall heed the advice provided here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 39 Eurofront scenario is interesting, but the Axis could easily find themselves stlalled out in 1940 without a good understanding of how the basic mechanics work, because some of those early war conquests are hard to replicate. I do think it's easier to start in 1939 than one of the later scenarios though. There are a lot of specia rules that apply only in the early war, and if you start mid war in your first attempt it can be confusing figuring what rules apply.

When you do move into Eurofront, particular attention to the things that modify production points, and the special rules for the Scandinavia and North Africa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Moore
United States
Riverton
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pulled the trigger on the three this afternoon. Kid and I should have them set up and played by the end of the month (currently Summer 40 in our Third Reich game.) Thank you guys....I will report our take on the game once we have given it a try or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.