Subject: Games to buy in Japan? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sue Ward
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb

My sons are going to Japan in a couple of weeks. Are there any games I should have them look for? I usually play solo or 2 player, occasionally with more.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure there are great games available! How exciting that you might be able to get your hands on some. Perhaps you could try posting this in the Japan forum (if you haven't) and see if anyone chimes in? I personally don't know what you should look for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The guy from Board Game Brawl has a japanese game in his Top 10: Heart of Crown. According to BGG, there's a US-release planned for next year, though.
I don't know if this game is any good, but I sure would like to give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Deep Space D-6
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
My brother went to Japan last year and was on the lookout for some Japanese exclusive gems.

He didn't find anything that wasn't eventually going to come to the states. US publishers are becoming more and more keen on importing and licensing game designs from Japan. Unless the games are language independent, it's perhaps best to wait for a US distribution with an official translation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Gergotz
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
minmin wrote:

My sons are going to Japan in a couple of weeks. Are there any games I should have them look for? I usually play solo or 2 player, occasionally with more.

Thanks!

You're cutting your choices down a lot because a lot of Japanese games are made for 3 or more players usually, at least many of the ones I saw while I was there. That being said, you still have plenty of choices.

I suggest Mask of Anubis, which is probably the best game I picked up while over there. Also, Yokohama is very fun.

I'm still trying to learn and play many of the games I bought in Japan, but you can also check my collection on here to see if anything interests you (look for the unplayed games to make it easier).

If you want solo games, try Shephy, Karen and the Pirate Island, or Tamaotch!. The first 2 have English rules, but the last one doesn't as far as I know. Feel free to PM me with any questions if you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
My brother went to Japan last year and was on the lookout for some Japanese exclusive gems.

He didn't find anything that wasn't eventually going to come to the states. US publishers are becoming more and more keen on importing and licensing game designs from Japan. Unless the games are language independent, it's perhaps best to wait for a US distribution with an official translation.

He must not have gone to the right stores!

You will find lots of stuff, but you have to do some research ahead of time. A ton of the stuff I saw was obscure enough where I doubted that there was an English translation of the rules. Another problem with really obscure games is that there's very little information to go on to decide whether the game is worth buying, especially since my personal hit rate with Japanese games is somewhat low. Also, a lot of the popular titles that you'll see released at the Game Markets seem to only be released there and will not be found in stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.