Alexander Mulder
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
The season ability of this card states:

"Discard 1 card
if able, then draw
1 epic tale card."

I Always read this as; If the master craftsman is the only card in your hand, you cannot discard and can still draw an epic tale card.

However a fellow gamer thought that was wrong and he read it as; If you discard a card, you may draw an epic tale card. If you do not discard a card, you may not draw an epic tale card.

I still favor my own interpretation of the rules. If there was a period in between the card and if words, then I would be inclined to side with my friend. I am curious how everyone else handles this card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play it as needing to discard a different card to be able to get an Epic Tale card. You're playing the Master Craftsman to trigger the season ability. That ability is to discard a card in order to get an Epic Tale card. That how we play it anyway. Christian may come by with an official ruling, he's been remarkably active on these forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

You are right, if Master Craftsman is the only card you have when you play it, you draw an Epic Tale card nonetheless.
That's the point of the "if able" with no period before!

EDIT: it would be clearer if it was on a single line:
"Discard a card if able, then draw an Epic Tale card."
But then I wouldn't have been able to read it!

Be aware that all your cards are supposed to be in your hand, not only Action cards, but Advantage cards and Epic Tale cards too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Mulder
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks for the answers guys. Unfortunately a slightly confusing card. But a big yay for active game designers on these forums

Also, a good note that all cards are in your hand. The first game we didn't play it like that but the second we did. It takes some time to get to know all the ins and outs of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.