BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Beware Portal Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Blaas
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Hi All,

I just wanted to warn everyone regarding the extremely poor customer service from Portal Games (www.portalgames.pl) and to warn eveyone to be wary ordering through them.

Following reviews on bgg on Portal Games development of Cry Havoc, I placed a pre-order copy for Cry Havoc on the 24th of July 2016 for 170$ nzd (not exactly cheap). On the 30th of August I receive an email that the order has been shipped via the Polish Postal service with a tracking number for the parcel being shipped to New Zealand. By the end of September I still had not received the shipment. I followed up with an email explaining that I hadn't received the shipment and asking for clarification to which Portal Games reply was, and I quote "I am afraid it is lost. I will check and let you know."

Following several further communications I request further clarification on the 4th of October and to my astonishment I get a reply several days later and I quote "It was sent form the USA so I was told to wait one week more." So I wait another week and a half, still no package.

After several more attempts at communicating and asking them to ship another copy I receive the following reply on the 21st of October, and I quote "Please, confirm your shipping address, we will send it again.
I think it is lost but I do not have a report about this from a shipping company." How is it possible that they are not aware of what the shipping address is considering that they have a tracking number from Polish Postal Service ?!

Following my reply regarding the shipping address on the 25th of October and requesting confirmation of shipment via either UPS or DHL with tracking number, as Polish post service is unreliable, I still haven't received a satisfactory reply.

It is clear to me that Portal Games is not living up to our commercial agreement and after numerous attempts at giving them every opportunity to rectify the situation they still won't comply.

I was generally keen and happy to support gaming companies in the their development efforts but after this experience I will not be doing so in future. I will also be submitting a fraud complaint with the credit card company as well.

To the bgg gaming community, I wanted to post this as a warning should you be contemplating ordering anything from Portal Games.

To the gaming companies reading this post. The gaming community likes to support you but in return for cashing in orders we expect delivery of our items. In today's e-commerce environment it is not acceptable to take payment, fail to deliver and leave your customers in the cold. That is nothing short of fraud and a sure way of killing off the industry as a whole.

Robert
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baramon
msg tools
send a PM directly to Ignacy, https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamedesigner/4735/ignacy-trze..., if fame didn't spoiled him he most likely will help you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rwb1912 wrote:
How is it possible that they are not aware of what the shipping address is considering that they have a tracking number from Polish Postal Service ?!

Following my reply regarding the shipping address on the 25th of October and requesting confirmation of shipment via either UPS or DHL with tracking number, as Polish post service is unreliable, I still haven't received a satisfactory reply.

Something got mixed up. They've either sent the package via Polish Post or via USPS from USA. Or they've sent it twice. Asking for confirming the address is nothing out of the ordinary though, makes sense to ask again, if there were problems with previous shipments.

FWIW Polish Post service isn't ideal, but I doubt the package got lost in the origin country, that's dubious. You know, the package isn't handled by Polish Post *all the way* to your door, right?

You're clearly upset and you have every right to be, given the circumstances, but nothing will get solved by overreacting. Try to communicate with them again, schedule a call maybe, I don't know. Portal... well, they're good guys, no doubt about it, but they sure are in a weird transitioning state right now. They have to watch out and don't let things like this happen (too much).

If you have the Polish Post tracking number, you can paste it here, maybe I can check it for you and see the culprit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Blaas
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Thanks, will give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure your post motivates me to avoid Portal Games if that was your intention.

I see nothing that happened here that couldn't happen to any company. Shipping companies lose stuff. It happens. The fact that they were willing to send out a second copy seems like good customer service to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maui Chris
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
Valentino Rossi Fan
badge
get this ball
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had nothing short of excellent service from portal games. I don't see how something lost in shipping is, in any way, Portal's fault.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Blaas
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Greg, my post is only intended as a warning, it's up to individuals to decide for themselves whether they wish to order through them. As for shipment getting lost, yes it can happen and I initially had no issue with that. What I do have a fundamental problem with is the lack of service when it comes to resolving the issue, conflicting information, delays in replies, non replies and the fact that I have to continuously follow them up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Packages can get lost, and getting info about it is not always easy, especially in a case like this, where Polish Postal Service would do it in Poland and then a string of their partners would ship it through the world. Portal itself seems to have responded every time, unable to solve the lost package issue, sent it again. So it actually looks like good customer service. It sucks to not get what you paid for, but that's not customer service issue... As to asking for the address again - I'd done it too, package being lost it's good to doublecheck everything before sending the new one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would observe that shipping issues and so on that come up around Essen time take longer to fix than otherwise.

You will get your game eventually. I'm sure of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Banner
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After my negative experience trying to deal with Portal Games, I'll avoid their games as well. Plenty of other companies out there who actually have good customer service and great games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Kirksey
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I had a similar issue with a package I ordered in July. After tracking its progress through the Polish Postal service, it stopped tracking upon transfer to another service - FedEx, I believe. I kept trying to track it unsuccessfully, until 30 days after the order was placed when the tracking site failed to recognize the tracking number (standard procedure, the site says it only works for 30 days). I waited a week before contacting Portal Games - now about a week into September - as I have ordered from them previously and know that it usually takes awhile to ship to the US. It took a few days to get a response - similar to the one you received - to the effect that they would look into it and get back to me with an update. I did not hear back from them; however, about two weeks later I did receive my order. It was not the original package sent to me according to the tracking number and order info, meaning they likely pulled and shipped my order a second time upon receiving my email. While not updating me as promised is poor customer service, they did fulfill their obligation per our transaction and I do believe the original issue was not of their doing. Anyone looking to order from Portal should understand that language barriers and international shipping can create some issues in the process, but in my experience Portal is always willing to rectify those issues if given a chance and a little time. It should also be noted that during this period of time Portal was expanding into Germany and preparing for Essen, undoubtedly a busy time for them. I don't offer it as an excuse for the long timeframe or lack of communication, but to illustrate the fact that these experiences may be atypical due to an unusual, temporary circumstance at the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PM sent....... exactly the same issue with not receiving Cry Havoc.
I sent an email to the postal company on Saturday. I haven't gone to Portal games yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General Gaming to Discussing Retailers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chee Peng Ang
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not fair to Portal Games by implying that they caused the non-fulfilment of orders. After a package is sent out, many things become beyond Portal's control as there is a chain of events from the time the parcel is sent out til it arrives at your door.

They are as frustrated as anyone when a customer fails to receive their order.

There is no need to resort to shaming the publisher really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
angatheart wrote:
It's not fair to Portal Games by implying that they caused the non-fulfilment of orders. After a package is sent out, many things become beyond Portal's control as there is a chain of events from the time the parcel is sent out til it arrives at your door.

Was it sent? After reading this carefully, I don't see any proof it was sent. Lots of people saying it was lost in transit.

Also, when you confirm an address you say this,

" I have your address as X, is this correct?".

This is not confirming an address,

"What is your address?".

I don't have a dog in the fight. Just saying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
william4192 wrote:
angatheart wrote:

Was it sent? After reading this carefully, I don't see any proof it was sent. Lots of people saying it was lost in transit.

Also, when you confirm an address you say this,

" I have your address as X, is this correct?".

This is not confirming an address,

"What is your address?".

I don't have a dog in the fight. Just saying.

Portal is based in Poland, so I would guess English is a second language. Are you really going to nitpick the nuances of the English language with a non-native speaker?

And to quote the OP, Portal said:

"Please, confirm your shipping address, we will send it again.
I think it is lost but I do not have a report about this from a shipping company."

I don't think you read it as carefully as you think you did. Just saying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Michael Hickey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Listen up guys, it's over two months since this pre order was supposed to have been sent and he still hasn't got his game or have a clue where it is.

In my experience it takes 10 to 14 days at most to send goods to NZ from Eastern Europe or the US.

Over 60 days on Portal games ought to have had ample oppotunity to help this guy out before now.

For those who think he's over reacting, imagine how you would feel if it happened to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Kirksey
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Steve99 wrote:
Listen up guys, it's over two months since this pre order was supposed to have been sent and he still hasn't got his game or have a clue where it is.

In my experience it takes 10 to 14 days at most to send goods to NZ from Eastern Europe or the US.

Over 60 days on Portal games ought to have had ample oppotunity to help this guy out before now.

For those who think he's over reacting, imagine how you would feel if it happened to you.

I have ordered from Portal several times and it has always taken a month or more, with the only exception being the assumed second shipment mentioned in my last post. I don't disagree that 60 days is too long, but also remind you that you don't know all the info either. He says he replied to their confirmation of address request, asking they send it by DHL or UPS, and since then hasn't received a "satisfactory reply." So, you don't know what they have offered and he doesn't consider "satisfactory." They may have offered to resend it or offered a refund for all you know. Obviously, something went wrong and he has a right to post online his grievance, but before you come on and tell everyone to listen up, maybe realize you don't have any insight anybody else is lacking and that those "opportunities to help this guy out" may have been rejected by an unreasonable OP. I'm not saying Portal has tried or not, whether OP is being unreasonable or not, just that the situation isn't completely known and people should avoid assuming anything negative about a company or customer based on an emotionally driven post and insufficient info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just for reference - A standard package/letter sent from PL to US or the other way around arrives in about a week, 10 days tops. After two weeks you can usually consider it lost in transit (which doesn't happen often in the first place).

Also: surprisingly many shipment problems are the last mile problems. Sometimes going to your local post office to ask can work wonders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.