Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: I Don't Give a Damn & Ambush Clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drunk Celt
United States
California
flag msg tools
Note that this concerns the vanilla game although it probably doesn't make any difference

Last night a friend and I had a discussion over this and I'm curious what you guys have to say.

He was playing Tovak and wanted to assault a city. He wanted to take out two enemies via siege so he used his elite unit Catapults with a blue mana which activated its Siege Ice Attack 5.

He used Ambush advanced action card to move into the city. He powered that card with a green mana so he got the following:

Move 4. Add +2 to your first Attack card of any type or +4 to your first Block card of any type, whichever you play first this turn.

So he now have total of 7 siege attack. Since two enemies in the question didn't have any resistance, it doesn't matter regarding what type of attack he used (physical, elemental).

He decided to activate I Don't Give A Damn (IDGAD) skill token. This does the following:

Once a turn: One card played sideways gives you +2 instead of +1. If it's an Advanced Action, Spell or Artifact, it gives +3 instead.

He used a normal action card sideways and argued that IDGAD is enhancing the Ambush card this way therefore does not apply to the no sideway card restriction for Siege & Ranged Attacks.'

Comments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Zipprich
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
He used a normal action card sideways and argued that IDGAD is enhancing the Ambush card this way therefore does not apply to the no sideway card restriction for Siege & Ranged Attacks.'

This means activating skill token to turn Ambush sideways for +3? Not possible considering he'd already played it for it's effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
barinthus wrote:
Move 4. Add +2 to your first Attack card of any type or +4 to your first Block card of any type, whichever you play first this turn.

Catapults are a Unit, they are not an Attack card, so the Catapults aren't affected by Ambush. They only generate Siege Ice Attack 5.

Quote:

He can play a card sideways with IDGAD for Attack 2 (not elemental or siege). If that's the first Attack card he plays in the battle, that would be increased to Attack 4, but it's still only a melee attack, not Siege or Ranged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick S
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
your friend has a total of siege ice attack 5. Ambush doesnt effect unit abilities and you cant play sideways cards for siege attack so IDGAD has no effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drunk Celt
United States
California
flag msg tools
Doh this is what happens at 3am playing the game for 5 hours.

Ambush doesn't apply to units, gotcha. It's right there on the card under our noses the entire time.

I want to ask for clarification on Ambush although. It says to add bonus modifier to an Attack card of any type. My understanding is that Siege and Ranged attacks are a type of an Attack so the bonus would apply during the Siege & Ranged combat phase. Although some posters seem to say no it wouldn't.

Anyway thanks for comments so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
barinthus wrote:
Doh this is what happens at 3am playing the game for 5 hours.

Ambush doesn't apply to units, gotcha. It's right there on the card under our noses the entire time.

I want to ask for clarification on Ambush although. It says to add bonus modifier to an Attack card of any type. My understanding is that Siege and Ranged attacks are a type of an Attack so the bonus would apply during the Siege & Ranged combat phase. Although some posters seem to say no it wouldn't.

Anyway thanks for comments so far!

Ambush absolutely can add a bonus to a siege or ranged attack and no-one is saying otherwise. You need a deed card to generate siege or ranged attack to add the bonus to though, which you don't have in the example you gave.

Just to re-state what has already been said above: First, Ambush cannot boost a unit attack, and second the only type of attack IDGAD can generate is a basic melee attack, as per the normal rules for playing cards sideways.

IDGAD cannot boost Ambush, it works the other way around. IDGAD can generate attack/block/move/influence of 2 or 3, and Ambush could increase that attack/block if it is the first attack/block generated by a deed card in the combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drunk Celt
United States
California
flag msg tools
That helped to clear it up for me, thanks! English isn't my native language so I'm sure others already said the same thing. Just the way you typed it out really helped me to understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.