Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: How is the replayability of this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
Does it get stale quick? Has any of you played it more than 50 times and still go back for it? I really need a solo game and I got only 1 shot financially, although I only heard good things on this game. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Estrick

Irvine
California
msg tools
Just remember... no matter what happens... I'll always love you. ALWAYS.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of my favorites (even though my kids beat me quite often). I've never played it solo, but even after many many plays, it is still just as fun for us as it has always been.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandonboards wrote:
Has any of you played it more than 50 times and still go back for it?

Yes, though I wouldn't have played it 50 times solo without the Lost Legion expansion and I'm not 100% sure I've played 50 solo games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it 89 times this year solo or co-op, perhaps slightly more solo games than co-op. Although I do have all the expansions.

That's after playing 200+ times in prior years (300+ total plays). Again, mainly 1-2 players (co-op).

I do think Lost Legions adds a lot, but it's perfectly reasonable to play without it quite a bit (or 50+ times), in fact I still play Solo Conquest (instead of the expansion solo variants) quite often, but the new tokens and cards add a lot of variety to the experience.

Does it get stale quick? Obviously that's a matter of taste, but certainly for some of us it does not, and it is often listed as the #1 solo game on the Solitaire Guild Geeklists....FWIW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience there are two kinds of replayability: the game still has something new to show you, or the mechanics of the game call you back.

The first category is full of games, but this isn't necessary a knock against them. A game that I really like that belongs here is KD:M; a game that's all about the ooo's and ahh's of learning some new corner of it you hadn't yet realized existed.

But this kind of game you eventually tire of, once you've searched it through and played out all of its secrets.

Games that you can say belong in the second category I've found to be much more rare, and Mage Knight is maybe the king of them all.

If you like the game, I don't think you'll have any problem with replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Provided you enjoy this kind of game, it doesn't get stale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Loving this game and the replay value is amazing.

Even for solo games, it's never the same. Things will always change based on the map\draws.

Also, you can always shift difficulty for maps and there are made up scenarios that people here already published.

I have to say this is probably the best solo game ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the game in February and logged my 51st play of it yesterday. Of those, I think 4 were coop, 1 was competitive, and the rest were solo. And I usually don't even like solo games. The only reason I haven't played it more often yet is the rather large time commitment (2-3 hours of gameplay, plus 30 minutes for setup and teardown).

I will say that I added the Lost Legion expansion after 20 or 25 solo plays, which adds new scenarios, monsters, loot, and a new character. If you like the game, that expansion will enhance the variety a lot, but the base game already has a ton in it. So yes, the game is excellent and extremely replayable. The characters play differently, the map will always be different, you can adjust the difficulty, and there are lots of new scenarios in the variants section.

If you aren't scared by the myriads of rules, long play time, excessive number crunching, and rigorous optimization, go get it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tolis Koutsikos

Athens
msg tools
mbmbmb
If you enjoy the mechanics the game offers almost unlimited replayability, as it is a complex puzzle with dozens of interlocking parts and different setup combinations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hersey
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played close to 20 times now and I'm still learning. This is one of the most deep, rich games you will ever play. It is immensely replayable
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeus Cat

Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
One of the things that helps replayability with Mage Knight is that some of the elements in the game don't get used very often.

You get your basic 16 cards for each knight. You will use all of these nearly every turn. However, there are a lot of things you can add to your knight that can really enhance his or her abilities. I believe that there are 20 artifacts available. I rarely get more than one of those in a game. You could get 2 or 3 or more if you are aggressive. Then there are spells; there are 20 of them. You could acquire 4 or 5 in a game if you concentrate on getting them. And there are 40 advanced actions. These are the easiest cards to add to your deck and adding 6 in a game is fairly common. So you can see that in one game you are only tapping a small percentage of each of the available cards. And all the cards can be played for their basic function or an advanced function.

And I haven't even mentioned skills or units. And each mage knight has special abilities that differentiate them from the others. And the map changes in every game. Lots of variability with this game which makes for a lot of replayability in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
Ok guys, you convinced me! I will be adding this game to my collection next week! s guys
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hunt
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I currently have played this game over 120 times solo. I would highly recommend getting the Mage Knight Board Game: The Lost Legion expansion after you have played the game 10+ times and feel ready to add some more depth and variety to the experience. This is one of the meatiest, most re-playable games out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drunk Celt
United States
California
flag msg tools
Brandonboards wrote:
Ok guys, you convinced me! I will be adding this game to my collection next week! s guys

Ahh yes yet one more to enter into the service of the Council of the Void devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic realm is my favorite game, largely for the endless replayability. When I discovered mage knight (first in the magic realm forums) I have been pleased to see that this newer (more accessible) game has similar replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Sörhuus
msg tools
Ridiculously replayable. Variations between games and depth of strategy is amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drunk Celt
United States
California
flag msg tools
Quantum_Jack wrote:
Magic realm is my favorite game, largely for the endless replayability. When I discovered mage knight (first in the magic realm forums) I have been pleased to see that this newer (more accessible) game has similar replayability.

I envy you that you got to play that game. I just learned about it like a month and I'm bummed. There's few online options although but I prefer hand on if possible. I read somewhere there's a way to recreate the game so I need to take a look into that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schoonakker
msg tools
Replay value is huge. There are a couple of different randomly shuffled stacks of cards to draw from (AA's, spells, artifacts, units, tiles, monster tokens), this makes it so that you always have a new combination of options, a new puzzle. Eventhough there seems a lot of "randomness" when you put it this way, almost no luck is involved since you know in advance what the options are. You improve the longer you play and can adjust the difficulty accordingly. I like the challenge, I roughly win 60% of my games. When you finally beat a 12 wounds lvl 16 volkare it will feel more rewarding than always playing below your maximal ability.

If you like the general idea of the game mechanics, this will make you come back over and over. Sometimes I play the game 3 times in a row on 1 day! (Fair to point out that I have a small table in a spare room where I always leave my game sitting on the table and I've used an old toolbox and bags for the token shuffling. This cuts down tremendous on the time for setting up and tearing down. Also this means I can jump in whenever I want to, it's always ready waiting for me. (Sometimes I hear it calling my name).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Smith
United States
Port Arthur
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I've played Mage Knight 76 times (all solo games) in the 4 1/2 years that I've owned it. I just recently got the Krang expansion and I'm looking forward to trying him out soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lin
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
"How is the replayability of this game?"

Endless replayability

I have owned this game for more than 3 years, and played it over 100 times. And it is still my favorite board game of all time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.