Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mick Whyte
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so after muddling our way through our first game (4hrs ) we almost have all he finicky little rules down pat. Combat took a little while, I don't understand why they didn't just write

RED = Heavy lasers or Heavy armor
BLACK = Light Lasers or Light armor

But just go a few Death Star Q's

1. Confirming, the Death Star moves like a regular unit? So if my opponent had say 5 spare leaders he could move it 5 Systems that round?

2. It has a transport capacity, can it move ground units?

3. Following on from 2 if it is the only imperial space unit in a combat against a rebel armada does combat continue even though it can't take damage? also can it initiate combat if moved alone?

4. Just double checking you are allowed to have 2 Death Stars in play?

5. Another non Death Star Question: Is there any restrictions moving units from Sector to Sector? We noticed there a big Red blocks at certain lines between sectors, do these block movement between those two systems?
(For instance Corellia and Bespin or Mustafar and Utapau)

Thanks in Advance

Mick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric C
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mick_whyte wrote:
Ok so after muddling our way through our first game (4hrs ) we almost have all he finicky little rules down pat. Combat took a little while, I don't understand why they didn't just write

RED = Heavy lasers or Heavy armor
BLACK = Light Lasers or Light armor

1. Confirming, the Death Star moves like a regular unit? So if my opponent had say 5 spare leaders he could move it 5 Systems that round?

3. Following on from 2 if it is the only imperial space unit in a combat against a rebel armada does combat continue even though it can't take damage? also can it initiate combat if moved alone?

5. Another non Death Star Question: Is there any restrictions moving units from Sector to Sector? We noticed there a big Red blocks at certain lines between sectors, do these block movement between those two systems?

Thanks in Advance

Mick

1. One of the key rules of the game is that units cannot move if they already have a friendly leader in the same sector. This means that fleets can only move once per turn. So while the Death Star moves like other units, it would normally only move one sector per turn.

Note that this rule affects a lot of other strategies - for instance, the rebels typically want to do missions in fleets that haven't moved yet, because if the Empire opposes the mission with their own leader then that fleet won't be able to move this turn.

2. Yes.

3. It can initiate combat if moved alone. If it's the only unit left, combat continues until the Rebels retreat. You can use the Death Star to "bully" the rebels until they draw Death Star Plans, which requires you to be a bit more cautious.

4. Yep.

5. Yes, you can't move between the sectors with the big red blocks. Also, as noted above, you can't move if there's a friendly leader with the ships, which means you'll ordinarily only be able to move a single sector per turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mick_whyte wrote:

Yikes...no. Units cannot move out of a system containing one of your leaders. This rules usually limits units to moving one system per turn.

Quote:

Of course...

Quote:

Rebel ships that cannot retreat are destroyed. Yes, it can initiate combat alone.

Quote:

Yes.

Quote:

They block movement, yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Whyte
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok ok "units can't move out of a System already containing a Hero" this makes so much sense.

This makes the Death Star far more cumbersome (as it should be) and prevents the empire from making a mega army and just bulldozing the entire map (Which is what happened in our game, that said he still lost)

Its funny I have personally found Terra Mystica easier to learn than this. There is all these little exceptions everywhere.

Thanks guys

can't wait for next play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just some notes on the above answers:

1: The others covered that you generally can't move any type of unit multiple times within the same round. On the basic question, yes, the Death Star does mostly move like any other unit. One important exception is that no Imperial units can retreat with a Death Star present. Check the Death Star section in the RRG for any other exceptions.

3: The above responses conflict a little. Erin is mostly correct, except Craig's case happens in the specific condition where the Ground Battle has completed and there are Ion Cannons in play causing the Death Star to not roll any dice. In that specific case, Rebel ships are forced to retreat or they are destroyed.

This is an important distinction, as although the Rebel ships won't be able to damage the Death Star, the Rebels might want some to stick around for a round or two so they can use Bombardment in the Ground Battle.

5: Here's the rule regarding those areas:
RRG - Moving Units wrote:
• Units can move over orange region borders,
but they cannot move through impassible areas
(shaded in light red).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Whyte
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daravon wrote:

1. One of the key rules of the game is that units cannot move if they already have a friendly leader in the same sector.

Wait a little confused here, I understood a system to be one planet and a sector to be the group of 4 planets(4 systems)

Just to make sure I understand using simple terms, units can't move off of a planet if there is a hero there right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Systems are a named segment of the board and contain a space and planet area. Regions are the groups that encompass 4 systems each.

From the RRG:
RRG - Systems wrote:
Each system consists of planet artwork, the “space” area around the
planet, and its name. Populous Systems also contain resource icons
and a loyalty space.

RRG - Regions wrote:
There are eight regions on the game board, separated from each
other by thick orange borders. Each region contains four systems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mick_whyte wrote:
Daravon wrote:

1. One of the key rules of the game is that units cannot move if they already have a friendly leader in the same sector.

Wait a little confused here, I understood a system to be one planet and a sector to be the group of 4 planets(4 systems)

Just to make sure I understand using simple terms, units can't move off of a planet if there is a hero there right?

Your units cannot move out of a system that contains one of your leaders. Don't confuse yourself with the word "planet". The map is made up of systems (grouped into regions), and units move from system to system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be fully clear, 'sector' is not a game term and has no meaning at all in this game. The correct term is 'region'.

Edit: I saw what you did there, Craig whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
Just to be fully clear, 'sector' is not a game term and has no meaning at all in this game. The correct term is 'region'.

Edit: I saw what you did there, Craig whistle

Yup...caught myself. Getting my games mixed up...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Whyte
Australia
Gold Coast
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok thanks guys,

just another little clarification while you guys are here

Once a Leader is assigned to a mission they can't be moved off of that mission, correct? what if that mission becomes redundant and can't be played this turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mick_whyte wrote:
Ok thanks guys,

just another little clarification while you guys are here

Once a Leader is assigned to a mission they can't be moved off of that mission, correct? what if that mission becomes redundant and can't be played this turn?

They return to your leader pool at the top of the refresh phase. You can't use them for anything until then. The mission returns to your hand at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.