The Opulent» Forums » Rules

Subject: William Yorke rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ethan Soanka
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Ok, first off, this game looks super cool. Totally digging the 1920's feel, the theme, game mechanics and honestly looking at how much team work / communication and a bit of puzzle solving is going to be needed to complete each year. Over time I am sure more questions will arise for this game, but one keeps nagging at me and I am here in hopes of a clear, concise answer. Here it is....

Can the designer please post a very clear, step by step explanation of this guy?

So far, here is my understanding of this Special Regular Patron:

Manager has to use 1 / 2 actions per turn until he completely leaves the club. In each step order he has to do certain things to keep him pleased in his investment. Now, I am not sure if the rule book description for some steps was purely for Roleplaying purposes or there are actual game mechanics/requirements each time. This is how I interpret it:

1) The Doorman Line:
Manager has to spend at least 1 action to roll 2 dice and try to get Yorke into the club.
--
This could take awhile, but again, unclear if this is just for RP purposes or if the Manager has to ACTUALLY do a bit of the Doormans's job just for this guy.

2) Dance Floor:
Manager has to use 1 of their actions to make sure Yorke "has a good time."
--
"Has a good time"... What does this actually mean for game purposes? Does he perform a "Request a song" action to the Band or what?

3) The Bar:
Manager must spend 1 action to prepare him a drink. No watering down allowed and no monetary penalties for failing.
--
So, I get that he is a Special Regular Patron and you just need to serve him any drink. Does this mean that on the Managers turn, he hops over to the bar and literally does this? (Taking into consideration the supplies left at the bar...)

4) Showing him "the books":
Manager spends another turn with 1 fewer actions.
--
Nothing else about what goes on and I think this is just a RP mechanic where in reality, the Manager just has 1 fewer actions that final turn before Yorke leaves the club.
-------------------
So, as you can see, there is not much clarity currently about how to handle Yorke and what is actually required. Sure, there are presumptions, but having 100% concise input from the designer would really assist in understanding how the Manager is to handle Yorke at each Station.

Thank you for this great game and for your time in helping with this game query. I look forward to a very informative response. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Willett
United States
Chapel Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.blacklocustgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Ethan!

Great question and I will try my best to address this question. The general rule of thumb is "When William Yorke hits the board then the manager is limited to one action anywhere on the board. If the manager chooses to execute a 2nd action, it must be performed at the station where William Yorke resides."

So if William is at:

The Door. Then the manager may use his second action to work the door. He doesn't have to succeed in getting William in, just more or less be at the door helping patrons to get patrons in. Thematically, this would be like the manager knowing the banker is coming in for check up so the manager is outside getting patrons in and occasionally looking at his watch. "Where is William? He said he would be here at 8pm!"

The Dancefloor. The manager may use his second action to request a song and that is about it. Thematically the manager is introducing William to some patrons at the dance floor and maybe even introducing him to the boys in the band. The request a song action could tie in as well as requesting the bankers favorite swing song.

The Bar. If the manager chooses to execute a 2nd action it must be done here. The manager must do some bar action in an effort to serve William a drink (stock beer, prepare drink, etc). The manager does not have to attend to the other patrons in the front of the bar queue nor is any penalty imposed if William is served in front of other patrons. The manager may attempt to to serve William and another patron(s) as well. Thematically, the manager is saying/doing "Hey William why don't we head on over to the bar and let me fix you a drink before we head to the office and crack into those books. Hey Elwood, while I am here, let me get your drink as well, Tom Colins with some extra starch in it correct?"

The Office. More or less the manager is losing a turn as he is handcuffed in office while digging out all the receivable and payable records. In hindsight the manager could burn that second action doing an office only action like purchasing and upgrade. Thematically, the manager has a little less time this turn while showing William the books but he could still squeeze in a second action doing an office task. "Here is last month's receivables William, I am going to make a quick call to nail down some adverts for tomorrow's evening edition."

Hope this helps, but if not feel free to let me know if you have any other questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Soanka
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I think your explanation is pretty clear.

Let me see if I finally understand this-

Role play wise (Thematically): the Manager is doing those things you listed.

Game play wise: the Manager quite literally only has 1 action for 4 turns (door/dance floor/bar/office) and doesn't need to realistically do the things mentioned.

This will help as some people in my group like to role play and others don't so this info will allow me to explain to people what they can/don't need to do.

Thank you very much for the quick reply. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Willett
United States
Chapel Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.blacklocustgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Spot on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bishop
United States
Beavercreek
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does he have to stop at the dance floor until the manager has ensured he's had a good time, or can a band leader on a roll (like we had tonight!) play such a good song that he moves on to the bar with the other patrons? Based on our reading of the rules that's what we did. If he doesn't move on, presumably the band leader can allocate his notes to patrons behind him in the dance floor queue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, he's not required to stop. The band leader could've had him move on prior to it becoming the Manager's turn. The description of William Yorke just lets the Manager know what they have to do when William Yorke happens to be at a particular station when it's their turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Willett
United States
Chapel Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.blacklocustgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
rccoll wrote:
No, he's not required to stop. The band leader could've had him move on prior to it becoming the Manager's turn. The description of William Yorke just lets the Manager know what they have to do when William Yorke happens to be at a particular station when it's their turn.

Correct again Tyrone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.