Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mortego

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Most of my games are in good shape, the ones that are older show signs of normal wear & tear.
How concerned are you about the wear & tear of your games? Select an answer that best fits your concern and assuming you generally take care of you games.
I am not concerned much at all, I take good enough care of them.
I'm somewhat concerned, after all, I do like to keep them nice looking.
I'm pretty good at taking care of them, I am careful when storing them.
I'm very concerned with taking care of my games, I like them to look good for a long time.
I'm so concerned with my games that if it's a game I really like I'll buy two copies; one to play and one for display or whatever.
My answer doesn't really fit any of the descriptors above.
I like to eat bacon while playing my games.
      224 answers
Poll created by killerjoe1962
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
A worn game is a played game. A played game is a loved game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
I am concerned with keeping my games in very good condition, but at the same time you could not pay me to use card sleeves...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
Sweet Grass
Montana
flag msg tools
Unless it's solo play, people will not care as they are not their games. They will bend cards, drop stuff on the floor, spill drinks, grease up the cards and scratch the boxes.

That's the price when one plays with people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inappropriate Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
Unless it's solo play, people will not care as they are not their games. They will bend cards, drop stuff on the floor, spill drinks, grease up the cards and scratch the boxes.

Please don't take offense at this but I can't find a better way to word it; maybe find better people?

My gaming group are respectful of our games and their components, as they know the owners value them as collectibles/aesthetic pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InappropriateAndy wrote:
Oiler1 wrote:

Please don't take offense at this but I can't find a better way to word it; maybe find better people?

My gaming group are respectful of our games and their components, as they know the owners value them as collectibles/aesthetic pieces.

Same here.

On the main topic: if all games stayed in print and I could always buy a new one, I wouldn't mind as much. I'd still be careful, but not by far as much as I am now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
I ensure that my games remain functional playable (all bits present, all data clear, etc), but care little for the box or original components past that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
A worn game is a played game. A played game is a loved game.
Okay... but the important part is that the game is loved (or perhaps played) not that it is worn. If you lost your copy of your most played game and were offered a choice of replacement copies, one which was worn and one which was in great shape, would you really pick the worn copy? You'll still love the game just as much, and have played as often with either copy... but the worn copy won't last as long.

And when you do play a game to the point where it physically breaks apart and can't be played anymore, and you have to buy a replacement copy, do you suddenly love the game less? Or think you've played fewer times?

I think you're confusing the signal for the thing it is signalling. There's nothing good about a worn copy in and of itself, merely that the wear signals it gets played a lot. If you remove that signal (by taking better care of it perhaps) that doesn't change how often you played it, or how much you love it. Don't enshrine the poor condition of the game, but rather what that wear means... "We love to play this all the time".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
Sleeves, silica gel, I'm hoping my games are in for the long haul!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't do anything special, other than treat them with normal care. Some wear and tear actually shows the game is enjoyed a lot, and makes me more attached to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iori Yagami
Latvia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Missing response: 'I like eating bacon and flicking cards while playing somebody else's games'! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I've got this one licked! I just keep buying more and more games, so I never have to worry about wear and tear because each game can only make it to the table a limited number of times! Simple!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Olafslomp wrote:
I don't do anything special, other than treat them with normal care. Some wear and tear actually shows the game is enjoyed a lot, and makes me more attached to it.

This, most games are in for the long haul regardless, i mean my copy of catan saw well over one hundred games, was a staple through college, and still have no play deficiencies (or even slightly play interfering damages).

Games are durable beasts, they can handle it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not concerned much at all, I don't do anything special to take care of them.

I love it when a game gets that 'played to death look'. I find it both satisfying and ascetically pleasing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting
badge
and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting
mbmbmbmbmb
The only games I worry about excessive wear on would be games where it will be detrimental to gameplay-- i.e. having one set of cards in a deckbuilder super worn out and the other not (so it's noticeable which is which when shuffling / looking at your deck).

Beyond that, if it gets some wear, it's all good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Games need to show somewhat that they are being played with, so some wear, not necessarily tear, should be mandatory over the years. I don`t sleeve. Got tired of it after my years of Magic: The Gathering. Unfortunately my games are almost pristine, since I never really get to hit the table. But even so, one of my most played game in count of years; Colosseum, is still looking nice. I have one game from childhood, which shows clear signs of being old (like the 80s) and yet the pieces are all there, no tearing in it, looking good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iori Yagami
Latvia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh come on, one man's wear is another man's modding...
What do you mean, you don't like me hand painting your unpainted wooden meeples with glorious orange Cheetos 'magical' and delicious dust? meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.