6,644 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
41.9% of Goal | left

Support:

F Gavril
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello! Here's the deal:

Me and my wife really enjoy our new found hobby.. We're just starting out and our collection is at about 30 "big" games and lots of other smaller boxes.. I do all the research and buying and my wife enjoys about everything I get to the table.. The problem is that I usually can't device what to buy next, so I always get 2-3 new games every time the gaming store is on my path, much to my wife's delight (and dread) As our collection is starting to grow, she is ever so concerned about the space it takes, and the investments it implies.. So we sat down and bargained for a "deal" that would work for both of us. So here's what we came up with:

I can buy any ONE game (any price, any size etc.) but only when we change our H-index (number of games we played that number of times).. I keep track of all the games we play, so updates on the H-index are easily available through the BGG app (we're currently at 18 going strong to 19)

My question to you: Would you take the deal?
In my mind, this is a no brainer: the more I play the more games I get to buy and play and buy and play and buy.. But somehow I get the feeling that in the long run I've been the one played, that secretly my beloved wife made me an offer I couldn't refuse but one that maybe I should've refused.. She tends to win in every other game, maybe this "game" too?.. Hmm..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
This is going to get harder and harder for you. To raise your h-index one step you will need to add one play to everything you already own (that task will only get bigger) and then play your new game n times (where n just gets bigger and bigger as well).

Good luck!

PS No, I won't take the deal, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
I don't buy that many games, compared to many gamers - but I still buy at a rate 15 times higher than my H-index moves, because I like to add new games in with playing old favorites.

I can imagine such a deal if strapped for cash, I suppose. Or, better - if it's a net gain in collection size as my H-index increases; I do manage to keep my collection size flat, even as my H-index increases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R F
msg tools
It's actually not a silly method to ensure you're actually playing all the things that you're buying, since the exponential growth means you should decrease the amount purchased the more games you have.

I really doubt your wife is trying to trick you into it - as she could just as easily bar you from buying games, or simply refuse to play any more (thus rendering it difficult to impossible to complete your H-index).

I wouldn't do it, myself, if only because I think it would turn the fun into a chore. The conception that you have to complete 5 more plays of Game X - whether you want to play it or not - just to play something else sounds like work rather than fun to me.

A limiter is usually a smart idea, but this seems an overcomplicated way of doing it. "$300 a year on new games AND/OR games may not fill more than this bookshelf" would seem simpler, while actually providing a limiter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Johnson
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Personally I would not take the deal, as I have an intense dislike of ANYBODY thinking they can tell me how I may spend MY money, however

If you take the deal, how limiting do you REALLY think it will be? will that make you unhappy?

if you don't take the deal how will that lack of space affect your wife? how unhappy will she be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
I like the idea, as an extra motivator for a 'levelling up' mini-game within your game collection... but in practice I think I like buying games too much. I'm on 12 right now, and could probably hit 13 in about 5 more plays IF I played specific things efficiently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
btrhoads
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finding a motivator to play more games is probably a good thing. Using your H-Index is not something I would choose. I would not take the deal. It has taken me 10 years to get my H-Index in the low to mid twenties. Not only will it get much harder as you go, but you will find yourself playing certain games just to play them and not because you will necessarily enjoy them, just to get your index to change.

If you are seriously considering this method, I would add the stipulation that you could also buy a new game if you get rid of a game as well. I think when you force yourself to play something that you are just not in to playing anymore, you will want to get rid of it to alleviate making yourself play it just to raise your H-Index.

You also might find that you won't want to purchase smaller games at all (even if you really want it) because the "juice won't be worth the squeeze" after you just played all your games so you could buy one more game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ole Richard Tuft
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
filipgavril wrote:
Hello! Here's the deal:

Me and my wife really enjoy our new found hobby.. We're just starting out and our collection is at about 30 "big" games and lots of other smaller boxes.. I do all the research and buying and my wife enjoys about everything I get to the table.. The problem is that I usually can't device what to buy next, so I always get 2-3 new games every time the gaming store is on my path, much to my wife's delight (and dread) As our collection is starting to grow, she is ever so concerned about the space it takes, and the investments it implies.. So we sat down and bargained for a "deal" that would work for both of us. So here's what we came up with:

I can buy any ONE game (any price, any size etc.) but only when we change our H-index (number of games we played that number of times).. I keep track of all the games we play, so updates on the H-index are easily available through the BGG app (we're currently at 18 going strong to 19)

My question to you: Would you take the deal?
In my mind, this is a no brainer: the more I play the more games I get to buy and play and buy and play and buy.. But somehow I get the feeling that in the long run I've been the one played, that secretly my beloved wife made me an offer I couldn't refuse but one that maybe I should've refused.. She tends to win in every other game, maybe this "game" too?.. Hmm..

An admirable concept, and I think it's great that you manage to get a lot of plays in. I buy mainly big games, and I hope that they stand up to at least 15 plays, hopefully more. With game night just a few hours once a week, I'm afraid my H-index would prevent any further buys, so I could not take the deal.

How would trading games be handled by your system?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ReggieMcFly wrote:
This is going to get harder and harder for you. To raise your h-index one step you will need to add one play to everything you already own (that task will only get bigger) and then play your new game n times (where n just gets bigger and bigger as well).
That's incorrect. He said his H-index is 18. Which means that he's played 18 different games 18 times. To raise his H-index to 19 means he'd have to play 19 different games 19 times. How many games that is depends on how many plays the relevant games have. You said he'd have to play every game he owns, but as he owns 45 games and only 19 will be relevant to this calculation, that's just wrong.

First, he'd count any games that already have 19 plays. It's quite possible that some of his games have well more than 19 plays. My top two most played games have 696 and 142 plays right now. Then he'd have to play any games that have exactly 18 plays once until he hits 19 games with 19 plays. If he doesn't hit that number, he should end up exactly 1 game short of his goal (he started with at least 18 games at 18 plays after all). Then he'd pick his next highest played game and play that as many times as it takes to get that game up to 19 plays. With 45 games already owned, I'm sure some of them have been played at least a few times. Which makes them better candidates to get to 19 plays than the new game. Of course, the whole point of buying a new game is to play it, so he's likely to want to delay increasing the H-index for a game or two to play the new game.

To the OP, you're building yourself a scenario where eventually you must play every game you own again (after you get your H-index equal to your number of owned games) before you can buy another game... But there are a lot of games that aren't worth playing 45 times. So you'll be forced to slog through a lot of plays of games you've grown weary of. And honestly, at some H-index, you'll cap out. Are you really going to play all 45 games you own a 46th time (that's 45 plays) and a new game 46 times? That's 91 plays and I doubt you'll do it. Realistically, you'll top out a lot sooner than that. I suspect you'll hit your limit after you buy a handful of new games (I'd guess between 5 and 10 but it depends on how many games are already close to your H-index). Somewhere around there you'll start hitting a wall where playing enough games to increase your H-index becomes really difficult and from that point you'll almost never get a new game ever after. So you're effectively limiting the size of your collection to about 50-60 games.

I'd write in a clause where you can replace games. Not every game will hold up to 18 plays. You don't want to be forced to play games you've grown tired of just because they're the easiest way to complete the next H-index. You should be able to get rid of a game (sell/trade) and be able to get a new game as a replacement.

But generally this is a sucky deal for you any way you slice it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Shalev
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's say you play, on average, a game every day. By the time you reached your 183rd game in your collection, you would be buying only one game each year,as it would take 366 days to raise your H-Index. Moreover, there aren't too many games I'd actually want to play 180+ times.

So yeah, this is a nice intention and an interesting experiment, but at the end of the day, a budget is probably more practical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools

What happens when you retire (i.e., resell or donate) one of your games? Do you pull it from your data?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would hate to be forced to play a game until it gets old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ender7 wrote:
Let's say you play, on average, a game every day. By the time you reached your 183rd game in your collection, you would be buying only one game each year,as it would take 366 days to raise your H-Index.

But that will only happen after 90 years, so it's kind of academic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is just an attempt to make you think before you buy games and I don't think it will be a limiting factor. If you do your research and find a game you will both enjoy and can give a good reasoned argument I believe the rule will be relaxed. Its just a good way of slowing impulse buys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel James
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's always referencing how much entertainment a game was worth to you. Back in college when everyone was always broke we went with $1 per hour. With a steady job, you can probably afford to compare it to a $5 movie at the theater to keep you entertained for an hour. If the game doesn't have longevity, you can resale and shift the remaining burden to other games you own before getting more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Lola Cat 2010-2014
mbmbmb
I wouldn't take the deal, although I DO like the idea of playing the games I already own a lot more before buying new ones.

I think as you get more games, you'll be less likely to mistakenly buy ones you won't really like, and you'll end up getting games you will want to play a lot more in a short time. I picked up Terraforming Mars a few weeks ago and played it 21 times in 3 weeks. This would never have happened to me ten years ago when I started in the hobby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a good idea for the time being, but as time goes on you guys may want to renegotiate. I would be tempted by the deal... especially given that the game has no price limit. I would possibly end up spending more on games this way as I would likely buy really expensive games, whereas now I typically won't spend more than $50 on a game- and that rarely.

There is something to be said for repeat playing the games in your collection... I have discovered a deeper appreciation for many games this way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
Guantanamo wrote:
I would hate to be forced to play a game until it gets old.

Yeah, and that's why I'm asking about dumping games they don't like. Could you imagine being forced to play Small World twelve times? Those last few plays would be like eating sand.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ehhhh no. My gaming is too circumstantial. I currently am held back by my budget for games only.

I think about it this way, what are the negatives created and how can I control them? Simply having more games than I can reasonably consistently play is not a negative in itself. Its the space they take up, the money they cost. So I rather control that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Heisenberg
Spain
Death Star
A galaxy far, far away
flag msg tools
"...there's no I in 'team'. There is a me, though, if you jumble it up."
mbmbmbmbmb
You've been Jedi mind tricked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
ReggieMcFly wrote:
That's incorrect. He said his H-index is 18. Which means that he's played 18 different games 18 times. To raise his H-index to 19 means he'd have to play 19 different games 19 times. How many games that is depends on how many plays the relevant games have. You said he'd have to play every game he owns, but as he owns 45 games and only 19 will be relevant to this calculation, that's just wrong.

First, he'd count any games that already have 19 plays. It's quite possible that some of his games have well more than 19 plays. My top two most played games have 696 and 142 plays right now. Then he'd have to play any games that have exactly 18 plays once until he hits 19 games with 19 plays. If he doesn't hit that number, he should end up exactly 1 game short of his goal (he started with at least 18 games at 18 plays after all). Then he'd pick his next highest played game and play that as many times as it takes to get that game up to 19 plays. With 45 games already owned, I'm sure some of them have been played at least a few times. Which makes them better candidates to get to 19 plays than the new game. Of course, the whole point of buying a new game is to play it, so he's likely to want to delay increasing the H-index for a game or two to play the new game.

To the OP, you're building yourself a scenario where eventually you must play every game you own again (after you get your H-index equal to your number of owned games) before you can buy another game... But there are a lot of games that aren't worth playing 45 times. So you'll be forced to slog through a lot of plays of games you've grown weary of. And honestly, at some H-index, you'll cap out. Are you really going to play all 45 games you own a 46th time (that's 45 plays) and a new game 46 times? That's 91 plays and I doubt you'll do it. Realistically, you'll top out a lot sooner than that. I suspect you'll hit your limit after you buy a handful of new games (I'd guess between 5 and 10 but it depends on how many games are already close to your H-index). Somewhere around there you'll start hitting a wall where playing enough games to increase your H-index becomes really difficult and from that point you'll almost never get a new game ever after. So you're effectively limiting the size of your collection to about 50-60 games.

I'd write in a clause where you can replace games. Not every game will hold up to 18 plays. You don't want to be forced to play games you've grown tired of just because they're the easiest way to complete the next H-index. You should be able to get rid of a game (sell/trade) and be able to get a new game as a replacement.

But generally this is a sucky deal for you any way you slice it.

I like how you went through all this effort to tell ReggieMcFly he's wrong, and then say exactly the same thing he said in your third paragraph. You must work in academia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of playing your whole collection before buying new games, but I wouldn't take the deal. Unless money is an issue, why put strict limits on what you can and can't buy? I keep my collection relevant through a lot of trading and selling and buy new games when they strike me as something I'd like to have. Some games get 2-3 plays and some get much more, buy I don't want to have to meet certain criteria to allow myself to purchase something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lluluien wrote:
I like how you went through all this effort to tell ReggieMcFly he's wrong, and then say exactly the same thing he said in your third paragraph. You must work in academia.
Ah... But Reggie said that he must play every game he owns once, which is untrue when someone owns 45 games and only wants to raise their H-index to 19. What I said is that eventually they'll have to play every game they own once (assuming they haven't played them more than their H-index already) when thier H-Index equals the number of games they own. There's a difference between those statements. But your general point that it's a sort of pedantic quibble is taken. I don't dispute that point.

And no I don't work in academia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I'd call that a "deal" (what's in it for you? - other than continued household happiness, of course), more of a challenge.
It should definitely ensure you get your money's worth of a game, but as your collection grows, that H index will take more and more time to increase. Ironically, at the same time, your interest in buying games will likely increase :)
Plus not all games are equal - should you have to increase from 18 to 19 in order to buy a 10 dollar filler game that takes up as much room as a paperback book?
I don't think I'd take that deal. I think my H-index is in the high teens. (edit: wow, it's actually only 14).
Maybe some other deal - this is the amount of space that can be filled; one comes in/one goes out; budget limitation, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are going to be good for a little while but it's going to start getting very hard based on your games and play count. Looking below your 18 plays you have bigger longer games. Above 18 you are mostly short fast games with a few 1 hour games.

Your repeated plays is admirable. I'm at a Strong H-Index of 13 and I can see it's going to be hard to get to 15. Especially since I have a 3 games that are 12+ and are basically dead to me either because I don't like them anymore or a new edition is coming out.

I have my own goals which will continue to up my H-Index over time.

1. Every game I own gets played once per year. This year I'm 9 games shy of completing this none of which are long. Get the right group and a long day and I could pull this off.

2. Every game I buy needs 5 plays asap. If in that period I get sick of playing or I have trouble finding a group to play (I have 4 groups of 20 or more people that I play with) it gets traded or sold. Right now I'm at 15 plays needed across 6 games (it should be down to 13 and 4 within a week)

My reasons for all of this are both that I think games should be played and limited space. My collection is basically at a buy one sell one situation around 100 games and has been for about 6 months. But it results in my collection being all games that I love. There are so many great games out there these days I don't need very good games anymore. Someone in my house has to think it's great for me to keep it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.