4 Posts

Dark Darker Darkest» Forums » General

Subject: Why not playing with 24 room tiles? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Noske
Germany
flag msg tools
Why can't you play the game with a total of 24 room tiles instead of 20.
Then the 6-sided dice will always choose a room for example zombies which is available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Berard
United States
Wabash
IN
flag msg tools
I play as blue.
badge
Purple is my second choice.
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel as though the house is big enough as it is - time is definitely of the essence, and making the house bigger (even by four tiles) would strain that a lot in the first half of the game. Once the Nemesis came out, that extra few rooms may be too beneficial to the players - providing extra time to catch up with and thwart whomever was hiding in the lab.

Also, having a 6 cause a horde to spawn right next to the survivors keeps the pressure from the zombie pretty high - they're inevitably going to appear right next to you while working your way through the house. This keeps you on your toes in regards to how you need to plan and adjust that plan.

That's my take, at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've begun playing with 24 tiles and haven't found the game to be any different, really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It all depends on how experienced the players are and how the
house is build. After a large amount of playtests I decided that the best
configurations as an average is a 5-column configuration, creating the most consistent challenging and well balanced experience with players.
But sure, 24 tiles is an option, but to keep the experience balanced I would design enough open space to move through the house, without too much blocking elements. Otherwise it will be very tough to reach your goal in time and the game can get frustrating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.