$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
26.4% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban, 2015 - The Gallerist, hopefully: 2016 - Lisboa, 2017 - A Colony in Mars, 201? - Escape plan
mbmbmbmbmb
A few days ago someone saw a contradiction on the 2016 rulebook about one rule that appears on page 2 and then on page 13.

The rule on page 2 says:
Maintenance (p. 13) Each player must take at least one Barrel from one of the Sales slots. - This is wrong, the 'at least' shouldn't be there.

The rule on page 13, player aids and Paul's video is Correct:
Each player must take one of her Barrels from Sales Slots if she has any there, and return it to her supply on her player board. - This rule is Correct

Versions from early playtesting confused me because at that time players could only take barrels from Sales after the fairs. And could take any number.
In the following version, players could take any barrels from any establishments at any time.

But since I wanted to make the game a bit more tight, I changed it to the actual rule:
At the end of the year during maintenance, before production, you must take one, and only one barrel from any Sales slot, if you have any.

As you been saying, there are no reasons to leave the barrels there unless to block a space. But in this version Barrels are scarce (to give the same feel as the money on the 2010 version), and so much more valuable.

Please accept my apologies. I'm so into Lisboa right now, that I messed things up in this article and made this huge confusion.

I will probably shut up my mouth right now, and wait for you to kill me.

Players who don't which to play the game so tight on Barrels can take more than one barrel as a variant, but the rules are consistent and correct on page 13 of the rulebook, player aids, and Paul's video.

I'm very, very sorry for this mistake.

If you find any more threads with my wrong correction, please point it here.

thank you
Vital
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Crosby
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
The real XB
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All Good Vital! It's nice to know that the rules and videos are correct, and there's no mistake by you or in the rules, just "misremembering".

We all get confused from time to time and misremember things. The good thing is that it was noticed so quickly before spiralling out of control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that was me talking about blocking a space using a barrel (and thinking that was not a good use of a barrel! LOL). I'm glad to have this clarified.

Don't worry about getting confused. The fact that you are here, supporting your game and answering questions, is a huge plus. I wish more games got this kind of support when it came to rules questions. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ponsonby Britt, OBE
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sandra accepts your apology, grants you a ticket to the gallery, where you can clear the pollution and proceed to the vineyard after the 1755 earthquake... on Mars.

...Wait, now I am confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nāt
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hooray! I was actually right for once in my teaching of the game!

I like the "only one barrel" rule. It keeps things tight and encourages players to plan their barrel spending accordingly, especially near the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Fisher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clarifying, Vital!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely NO worries Vital! Mistakes happen and we all appreciate how active you are here in the forums to clear them up when they do arise!

Please don't feel bad at all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Meighan
United States
Manahawkin
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well...I guess you can still be my favorite designer.

Actually, admitting fault in this manner and clarifying the issue as you have only emphasizes how great you are. A lesser designer would stand by his first response and not let it go regardless of the outcome. (I have an example in mind but there is no need for designer bashing.)

Keep up the good work!

-Kyle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
newrev wrote:
A few days ago someone saw a contradiction on the 2016 rulebook about one rule that appears on page 2 and then on page 13.

The rule on page 2 says:
Maintenance (p. 13) Each player must take at least one Barrel from one of the Sales slots. - This is wrong, the 'at least' shouldn't be there.

The rule on page 13, player aids and Paul's video is Correct:
Each player must take one of her Barrels from Sales Slots if she has any there, and return it to her supply on her player board. - This rule is Correct

Versions from early playtesting confused me because at that time players could only take barrels from Sales after the fairs. And could take any number.
In the following version, players could take any barrels from any establishments at any time.

But since I wanted to make the game a bit more tight, I changed it to the actual rule:
At the end of the year during maintenance, before production, you must take one, and only one barrel from any Sales slot, if you have any.

As you been saying, there are no reasons to leave the barrels there unless to block a space. But in this version Barrels are scarce (to give the same feel as the money on the 2010 version), and so much more valuable.

Please accept my apologies. I'm so into Lisboa right now, that I messed things up in this article and made this huge confusion.

I will probably shut up my mouth right now, and wait for you to kill me.

Players who don't which to play the game so tight on Barrels can take more than one barrel as a variant, but the rules are consistent and correct on page 13 of the rulebook, player aids, and Paul's video.

I'm very, very sorry for this mistake.

If you find any more threads with my wrong correction, please point it here.

thank you
Vital

Well... looks like I need to re-shoot my tutorial video this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban, 2015 - The Gallerist, hopefully: 2016 - Lisboa, 2017 - A Colony in Mars, 201? - Escape plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Grumsh wrote:

Very sorry Michael soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DePasquale
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

You could always shoot just that one clip though...you weren't going to redo the entire thing right? At least you are gonna fix it there are a lot of tutorials for other games with errors. Rather than reshoot they just put an annotation on the video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Nothing happens for a reason, but everything happens by a mechanism
badge
God is a cruel croupier, he dealeth and he taketh away
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend and I muddled through a 2P learning game yesterday, and although we bothched a few rules, all of those were trivial on the gameplay except for this rule about returning barrels. We played that all barrels returned from the sales area. This meant that we always had a surplus of barrels, and this translates into being able to get money more easily. Returning a single barrel per year will make the game significantly tighter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.