Popular Tags: [View All]
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are unambiguous and clear about the definition of a "coastal province" (i.e. "that contain some sea within its circle") - and Britannia's circle clearly contains no sea).

But it seems surprising to me that Britannia is not a coastal province, and it can only be reached by 2-IP land movement from Belgica.

So I thought I'd check whether this is intentional, or whether this is a graphic design error on the map...?

=====

PS: I'd been playing 3111 recently which seemed very hard if the starting barbarian army is not stopped immediately - the black markers spread like wildfire! So for a change of pace, I just tried 5302 and 5312 (to try with 2 starting barbarian armies but with more resources for me) and I found they seemed significantly easier for me than 3111: 5 tokens and 3 fleets makes a huge difference indeed compared to 3 tokens and 1 fleet!

-----

PPS: There should be some crazy way to combine Tetrarchia with this other recent game with a similar theme (but from the Barbarians' point of view, against non-player Rome): Germania Magna: Border in Flames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Britannia not being a coastal province is intentional.

In the first prototypes Britannia was a Roman province (as it actually was), and then a coastal one, but it 'left' the Empire because the border of that region fell too far north, distorting the whole map (see the designer diary).

Then, once it went beyond the border and became a foreign threat, it had to be difficult to access, as all the other borders. So I moved it a bit inland. You can see this as the ensemble of the Roman provinces in Britain (with an average center more inland), or also the fact that you need to access from Belgica means that you have to carefully prepare an invasion (a 'reversed D-Day'!).

PS/ Yes, the 4 parameters combine in very strange ways to provide the 81 possible difficulty levels. It is not a priori straightforward to class these 81 combinations in increasing difficulty! The good thing is that they provide very different feelings. And then you can add the variants... and the expansion modules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
So for a change of pace, I just tried 5302 and 5312 (to try with 2 starting barbarian armies but with more resources for me) and I found they seemed significantly easier for me than 3111: 5 tokens and 3 fleets makes a huge difference indeed compared to 3 tokens and 1 fleet!

Indeed 5 Emperor tokens are a lot. The game started with only 4 maximum, but then I thought that instead of increasing the difficulty progressively on all parameters, it would be interesting to try new challenges but with similar difficulty, by combining harder values of some with softer values of others, and then I added a 5th token to the game.

So for example*, [51xx] so that the lesser naval mobility is compensated by stronger land power, or [33xx] for the inverse situation. [53xx] is really too relaxing, because you have a lot of power on both land and sea.

I think [41xx] is an interesting step, you still have a moderate land power but you have to better optimize the naval movement. [4122] is quite hard already. [3122], the hardest level, can be beaten from time to time after you become experienced enough!

-----
* Reminder: [EFRB] means Emperor tokens, Fleets, additional Revolt tokens, and Barbarian armies, the central values being [4211].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.