Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Combat Commander: Europe» Forums » General

Subject: Tripki to Lipki rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Well, after the slightly bumbled attempt with the wife, i decided to setup Fat Lipki and try to work through it myself after having refreshed myself on the rulebook a bit more, then I remembered that I had VASSAL installed, so decided to set it up there and play as solitaire, which worked surprisingly well. It's basically perfect if you replace Fog of War with Fog of Incompetence, which was much less of a hindrance to enjoying the game without worrying that my wifes Eyes are glazing over as I cross check paragraphs in the rulebook.

I saved a vassal log, but pride (no, OK, its shame) prevents me from sharing it for now, i was going to ask for some feedback and comments but there were several mistakes made, most of which (hopefully) I rolled back correctly or commented on later, imaginging they were some kind of heavenly decree piercing through the cloud cover in the voice of RPardoe, the ArchAngel of Jensen.

Anyway, to cut a long story short it was fucking fantastic which apparently is russian for "really very good". I did run about like a giddy idiot, justifying my military idiocy with the pithy comeback "yeah but its good just to see how it works". The commanding officer *has* left a voicemail, which I assume will be to congratulate me on my dogged determination despite many times blundering around top decking because I couldnt bear to throw away fire cards with "trouble on t'horizon".

But what an Amazing tension, and I don't mean tension as in the euro games I'm more familiar, where you're worried that you wont get your meeple on the prized 3 turnip slot and thus be able to jiggle 13 cubes on my own personal player optimizer board as I "explore" the "many paths to victory" by translating through the obfuscation of a 12 level nested spreadsheet intertwining 6 boring differently coloured goods that all end up with a specific VP value per action which everyone else round the table sat peering downwards has spent the night calculating.
Oh no, this was a more primal kind of tension, more the kind of "FUCKING HELL I NEED A MOVE CARD RIGHT NOW" while vainly trying to make use of the actions I had to make things hold together in the meantime.

I had the idea that mostly this scenario ended up with everyone piling into the middle for some kind of dance off, one of the objectives pegged it as 5VP for the house, plus elimination Points doubled, plus SD for all objectives. Basically it was get to the house and kill as much as you can.

For the russians I decided to setup with the plan to run like giddy idiots down the flank for exit VPs instead, and worry about the house later. That road down the edge of the map just looks so inviting. (note to future self: Opportunity Fire is bad. Its really bad. I mean, they. Keep. Shooting. Each. Time. You. Move. Into. A. Hex. On a Road. In Open Ground. Ow. OWWWW. OUCH.)

It was glorious, if incompetent. The smaller german Group snuck up into the trees knowing they could sit on opfire on the road, the russians zipped down the road even with time for a cup of tea and biscuits in the house Objective 4 (no VP objectives for the cuppa OR biscuits. boo). Then it was time to spring into action and off they Went, the german cranked the handle (oh god, what is he talking about) on the machine gun and started mowing down the russian sunday morning jogging team on the way off the edge of the map. One made it, Another one cut down just 1 hex from glory, then Krylov all the way to the last hex with his squad and gun, but gunned down like dogs with their neatly trimmed counter edges just hanging over the edge of the poster frame perspex boundary to the adjoining region, TableTopVille. It was all the more cruel because the early attacks by Winklers lots made me wonder if the germans had been done by a double agent, yes, HENRY WINKLER of Happy Days was presumably manning the Controls while die rolls of 2, 3 and 4 were popping out. But when it came down to it, the Fonz got the job done, and the early exit VP lead for the russians was cancelled out by the untimely demise of Krylov, the Coward of the Soviet Union.

Now it was time to switch focus to the centre, and as luck would have it the russians were first to move and got to the Point of being able to storm the manor house, but fucking spiders if a sniper event FINALLY dropped into the danger zone and broke Kovalev literally adjacent to the house, completely bringing to a halt the movement of his troops who lost his bonus movement Point and thus were also stranded out by the house. Suddenly the russians were marooned, the MMG stuck up the road, and the german war machine rolled up to the house after having basically been sitting around playing cards, and bit by bit picked off enough russian units to be over double digits and on the way to 21 VP when the sudden Death bell ring and daddy was anyway getting a bit tired at that Point having played for over 3 hours and it being past 1 am.

But by god, it was tremendous, utterly fantastic, and while I surely botched here and there (rules wise), and everywhere (strategy and tactics wise), I feel a lot happier with the rules and procedures, and have already informed my superior Officer that she'll be enlisted into a real replay of Fat Lipki some evening this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe C Faust
United States
Hartville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that giddy feeling when the game clicks. And it never quite goes away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexei Gartinski
Jordan
Amman
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

And nearly all CCE scenarios will have the same level of tension: you'd remember most of your previous games when you set up the same scenario again. And guess what? It will play out completely differently next time!

So - unless you've done it already - just grab all the CC boxes and expansions and make yourself a gift of a life-time pure wargaming pleasure :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I believe I have that covered. I don't know if it should be a badge of shame or pride that this is at least my third complete set of CC. (possibly 4th) and that includes all extra stuff from GMT too. And I have a spare copy of Europe to lug around with me for the foreseeable future

I also have a number of binders with various scans and rejigs of all the scenarios, rules, summaries, aids, OBs, RSGs, etc etc etc, plus a folder with all the maps in it

all nations in a counter tray, including a PnP Poland (for my main gaming buddy), markers in their own tray, each deck sleeved in KMC Hyper matte colour matched to nation, with colour matched Ultra Pro Deck box. A crap load of laminated stuff, and a pair of dice in each actual main box, thats more an ironic smirk (but also for use with RSG if we dont want to mash decks together for the rolls)
Just waiting on some nice stretchy wire badge thingies for LOS measuring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.