Subject: Gilderoy Lockhart and other cards wordings rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember Gilderoy Lockhart's wording more specifically but I noticed other wording I wasn't clear on. It says something like "Discard a card and draw a card. Discard this card and draw a card". So does this mean you can discard a different card and draw a card as well as draw an extra card and discard Gilderoy Lockhart? I only just finished Book 2 so maybe there is a reasoning behind it but I don't see any reason you wouldn't want to discard Lockhart since you would get an extra card. It also seems pretty powerful to draw 2 more cards from your deck (discarding one) with a low cost of 2.

I also noticed that one of Neville's beginning cards had a similar wording. I forget the name and the wording but it had one thing listed and then another that seemed like common sense to do both. I wasn't sure if the card meant do the first part or the second part.

I just want to be clear because both of these cards seem pretty powerful if you can do both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's 2 things it CAN do (for Neville's card at least, the remembrall. I've not seen Gilderoy yet).

You can use it normally to get one Influence. But if you're forced to discard a card, you can discard it and get 2 influence instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kefauver
United States
Saint Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lockhart has two effects; if you play him, you draw a card and then discard a card, which isn't a great effect.

If you discard him due to an effect, though, like a crystal ball, being stunned, or the Flippendo Dark Arts event, he lets you draw a card.

You can only do one or the other (since once you play him you can't discard him, and vice-versa).

So really, he's only good if you can discard him (since he then replaces himself) or if you have some effect that helps when you play allies, like Ron's Bertie Bott's.

With the ability to discard at will
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Such as with the Horacruxes from game 7

Or a draw-and-discard heavy deck, he's more useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nessmk2 wrote:

This is not correct. I don't have the manual handy to cite the page number, but there is a specific list of actions that trigger discard effects. The mechanic you refer to in the spoiler is not on that list, nor does the year seven manual add it to that list. Discarding cards because of that mechanic does not gain you the discard reward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone! That makes a lot of sense. We were playing it wrong then. I guess I was mixing it up that the card can't be discarded if you can't play it (with the Remembrall or Lockhart). Now they both don't seem overpowered playing it this way where you only get the better benefit by getting the card discarded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moo Cow
msg tools
davypi wrote:
Nessmk2 wrote:

This is not correct. I don't have the manual handy to cite the page number, but there is a specific list of actions that trigger discard effects. The mechanic you refer to in the spoiler is not on that list, nor does the year seven manual add it to that list. Discarding cards because of that mechanic does not gain you the discard reward.

I'm going to disagree with you. I don't see it as a hard list of the only ways in which the ability triggers.

These cards simply state if you discard them, then you get that benefit. So...

if a Horcrux says to discard a card, and you do so - then I see no reason the trigger wouldn't happen. You discarded it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moo Cow wrote:
I'm going to disagree with you. I don't see it as a hard list of the only ways in which the ability triggers.

This is a difficult situation to address as that specific paragraph in the manual is the one cited to explain why discarding cards at the end of a turn does not trigger the discard effect. So we do have a precedent that something being excluded from that list means it doesn't trigger. Its also worth noting that everything mentioned in the manual is a forced discard but the one we are talking about is an optional discard. We don't know if the intent of discard mechanic is about any discard or a forced discard. It would be nice if we could get official confirmation as to if the discard abilities from year six and year seven mechanics trigger discard effects on Hogwarts cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wolf
United States
Carlsbad
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
davypi wrote:
Moo Cow wrote:

This is a difficult situation to address as that specific paragraph in the manual is the one cited to explain why discarding cards at the end of a turn does not trigger the discard effect. So we do have a precedent that something being excluded from that list means it doesn't trigger. Its also worth noting that everything mentioned in the manual is a forced discard but the one we are talking about is an optional discard. We don't know if the intent of discard mechanic is about any discard or a forced discard. It would be nice if we could get official confirmation as to if the discard abilities from year six and year seven mechanics trigger discard effects on Hogwarts cards.

If you use a card with an 'if you discard this card...' effect to power the ability of a Proficiency or Horcrux, you do get to generate the effect of the discarded card. So if Neville discards his Remembrall to activate Transfiguration, he gains 2 INFLUENCE and gets to search for a card.

Andrew Wolf
Game Designer - USAopoly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! Thanks as always Andrew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have much respect for game designers who keep up with the forums to make sure questions like this get answered.

Thanks, Andrew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lai Edcy
Taiwan
Hawaii
flag msg tools
Can I play crystal ball to discard a played card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jovy Eramela
msg tools
mb
Edcylai wrote:
Can I play crystal ball to discard a played card?

No. Only cards that are still in the player's hand can be discarded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lai Edcy
Taiwan
Hawaii
flag msg tools
Can A played card not be counted as be in hand ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.