8 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Interaction with MOM 1st edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Diego Montado
msg tools
Hi,

We just started playing mansions of madness 1st edition (I bought it 6 months ago). We had a blast!!!

I went online to buy some expansions (I especially wanted call of the wild) but to my surprise, not only they seem to be impossible to get, but there is now a cooperative 2nd edition...

Could someone please explain me if this second edition uses in any way the core game from 1st edition (so if I buy 2nd edition I get to still give some use to my 1st edition stuff?)? Will there be some kind of conversion kit orsomthing that allows me to play more adventures using second edition, with 1st edition stuff?

Also, is it worthy to try and find the 1st edition expansions, or will there be expansions for the 2nd edition that will have stuff from 1st edition expansions (like byakhees, open garden/spaces, etcetera)?

We really enjoyed the 1 keeper vs many players from 1st edition take, and I am deeply saddened to see that expansions are almost impossible to get (and doubtful that they will be reprinted) so I am trying to understand how does second edition affects it all to decide what to do next. I do find the fully cooperative experience appealing but would hate to miss on using 1st edtion stuff.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek W.
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, you can use your first edition core set with the second edition. The app will give you the option to add it to your collection. Second edition includes a conversion kit for all first edition investigators and monsters, as well.

FFG has released two "Figure and Tile Collections" for second edition that add the components from first edition to the second edition for players who do not own the first edition. Recurring Nightmares includes the figures and tiles from the first edition core set while Suppressed Memories includes the figures and tiles from first edition's two expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diego Montado
msg tools
If I understand correctly, there are 2 second edition expansions that have all components from Forbidden ALchemy and Call of the wild?

What i I buy those expansions to play 1st edition, would I be missing cards or something else? If that was the case, maybe I could find online those cards and put together a playable 1st edition expansion? (given the fact that 1st edition expansions seem to be out of existence)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd be missing all the cards needed to play, as well as all the scenario booklets and character sheets. Don't buy the 2nd edition expansions if you want to play 1st edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
The only elements from 1st edition that are used in 2nd edition are the tiles and miniatures. Like Derek explained so well, if you have the 1st edition of the game, then you don't need Recurring Nightmares.

The conversion kit in the 2E base game will give you everything you need to incorporate those elements and you will get an extra scenario to play at no additional cost.

If you have Forbidden Alchemy and Call of the Wild, then you similarly will not need Suppressed Memories, and you will have yet another additional scenario at no cost.

So the original expansions will work for both 1E and 2E. The first two mini and tile collections work for 2E only and are unnecessary if you have the equivalent 1E components. And the forthcoming Beyond the Threshold is for 2E only, with no 1E equivalent. Also, the miniatures (investigators and monsters) and tiles in the 2E base game are new and are not represented in 1E.

From what I have read, 2E plays much like 1E, except the free app eliminates the need for the keeper, while still keeping most of the play on the board. This also makes solitaire play a possibility. There is also less setup time, more variation, and more surprises since you can't see the entire layout at the start of the game. Exploration now actually feels like you are exploring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Roberts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So are any of the cards from 1E used in 2E (horror cards, etc)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AlkalynSyn wrote:
So are any of the cards from 1E used in 2E (horror cards, etc)?

No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dillon
msg tools
On this note... what do I do with the rest of my 1st editions stuff? I don't see myself ever playing the first edition again but I feel weird about just tossing it in the trash. Am I alone in that regard? It will be in my "get rid of" pile for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.