12 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Core set rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elliot Lachman
msg tools
Hi,

I recently purchased the core set along with a handful of expansions etc, and discovered that my core set is in Spanish (which I don't understand /speak) my question is how important is the core set? Do I need the heroes for other expansions? Or can I just start without it?

Eagerly looking to dive into the game, hope I can do it without the core set cards.
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milo Gertjejansen
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
~ >
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would try to get a refund/exchange/something. The core set is not essential if you have enough expansions (quite a few, like, at least two and a half cycles worth, probably more).

That being said, there are a ton of cards in the core set you will want to use, notably Steward of Gondor, Unexpected Courage, Gandalf, Sneak Attack, Horn of Gondor, and probably more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliot Lachman
msg tools
Hmm thanks for the reply.
I ordered it from bookdepository (since I live abroad) and they refunded me the cost and told me to keep the game, I don't know if anyone else sells around me, will have to look.
I have:

khazad-dum
Foundations of stone
shadow and flame

Voice of isengard
The antlered crown

The hobbit: over hill and under hill.

Do you reckon I can play? Or should I wait until I can hunt down a core set? Shame was excited to play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milo Gertjejansen
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
~ >
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO I would try to find a core set.

But. You could try to just build a deck anyways. Being that it's your game you can decide the minimum deck size so you could try to make a smaller (30-40) card deck rather than the standard 50 and play with that.

Given the packs you have, you probably have like half of a pretty OK dwarf deck there as well, so that wouldn't be terrible.

Honestly though, the core set provides so many staple cards that can make the game much easier on newer players.

Finally, some of them are really simple too (i.e. Steward of Gondor give the Gondor trait and exhausts to give two resources, Unexpected Courage exhausts to ready attached hero) so you could head to either ringsdb.com or hallofbeorn.com/LotR to find the photos and then figure out what each card does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Jones
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I know it probably sucks, but I'd strongly advise you to wait. Don't spoil what might be a brilliant long-term gaming experience with a sub-par introduction. Yes, you can read the rules online, and you do have all the tokens, but imho the core set really is the best way to learn the game, taking you through a few introductory quests, and providing a strong set of cards that are valid even now. Based on the card sets you list above, I don't think you'll have a good experience without it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you can probably source a core set within the week, and then you'll be all set. Pass the time by watching half an episode of each movie every night until it arrives. Or dive into the books
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliot Lachman
msg tools
OK thanks for all the replies, I guess I will wait then *sighs* where I live hunting down this game may take as long as reading all the books and watching the extended movies. But better to wait then ruin it for myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrickx
Belgium
Reet
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another option is to watch some video's with card introductions (the hyve tyrant for example) to start getting to know the cards, then build some decks with your spanish cards and have the hall of beorn (www.hallofbeorn.com) next to you with a translation when needed.

this way you can get start playing this awesome game

or start learning spanish if you think it will be quicker then getting an Englisch version ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You probably could get by with just cards from the expansions and by looking up what a few of the core set cards do. The Khazad and Hobbit expansions you have can combine to make some pretty sick dwarf decks with only some involvement of the core set needed. Still, I agree with the others that getting an English core set will probably make for a better experience. In a game where timing and card combos are key, you don't want to have to deal with any ambiguity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Titus M
msg tools
mbmb
You could always download OCTGN and do some deckbuilding and play through the intro quests while you wait for the core to arrive. I personally enjoy the feel of the physical cards and the Zen moments of setup shuffling and teardown. But it's an option, and can make for an enjoyable stopgap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Stanford
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
yemisvx wrote:
OK thanks for all the replies, I guess I will wait then *sighs* where I live hunting down this game may take as long as reading all the books and watching the extended movies. But better to wait then ruin it for myself.

Where exactly are you? I've got a spare core set with the first 2 adventure packs (Hunt for Gollum and Conflict at the Carrock) that I could put up on marketplace if you're struggling to get hold of a copy in English.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hill
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take the opportunity to learn Spanish!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliot Lachman
msg tools
Good news and better news (probably worse on my pocket :/ ), a friend was coming from the states so ordered a new core set and some expansions... And some other games. My wallet is now lighter and my shelves soon to be heavier. Thanks everyone for the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.