Subject: Haunt 96 combat/damage question - SPOILERS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henrik Lundqvist
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Hi all,

So in haunt 96 (the Minotaur), the traitor is basically invincible. As soon as the haunt happens, the traitor's speed is reduced to the first level above the skull, all other stats stay the same, and the Traitor's Tome text reads that his/her stats cannot be reduced to the skull. All this is fine with me except that when I attacked the traitor and dealt 3 damage, he decided to take the physical damage to speed instead of might. Since he had no speed left to lose, he just completely negated any physical damage done to him. I didn't push the issue at the time because I did not feel like arguing, but this was blatant cheating in my eyes. Instead, I just attacked him to steal his items after that.

Am I correct in assuming that you have to take damage in combat wherever you can, regardless of this situation where your invincibility would save you from death in a stat? I could not find anything specific in the rules to support this, but it seems like common sense to me.

Thank you for your time,

Reheated Beef

Edited for clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When you suffer physical damage, you can choose to apply that damage to your Might and/or Speed stats as desired, unless a haunt or card indicates otherwise. So what's at issue here is what the traitor's Speed stat really was.

I don't have the haunt in front of me to look at the exact wording, but your description of it seems confusing.

There is no zero printed on the character card for a stat to be reduced to, so the instruction to reduce the traitor's speed to zero is odd. There is a skull, but you go on to say the traitor's stats cannot be reduced to the skull.

Perhaps the exact wording of the haunt that the traitor is immobilized or cannot move (rather than "speed is reduced to zero")? That would make more sense in the context of your other statements, and if so, then yes, the traitor could apply damage to the Speed stat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lundqvist
United States
New York
flag msg tools
My mistake in wording that. It says to reduce the traitor's speed stat to the first value above the skull. I think he was playing Brandon which would make his effective speed a 3.

It also says no stat can be lowered to the skull (basically immortality), but it does not say his stats cannot be lowered at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thanks. In that case, my feeling is that a player MUST reduce a stat, if possible, whenever he takes damage. It seems outside the spirit of fair play to choose to "apply damage" to an unreducable stat when a reducable stat is available.

However, this appears to be a gray area in the rules, and I suppose it could be argued either way. So until we get an official ruling, we'll just have to go with group consensus:

Poll
When an explorer is forced to apply physical damage, he or she...
must apply damage a physical stat that can reduced, if possible.
may apply damage to a physical stat that can't be reduced, even if the other stat could.
other (explain in comments)
      6 answers
Poll created by ironregime

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.